Before arthritis, I had no idea.....

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 25. Oct 2013, 06:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
That peeling a banana could be anything other than a simple task.
That tying shoelaces would turn into a Olympic sport.
That my dog is the perfect height for being a warm, comfy foot rest.
That not every day is a good day but there's something good in every day.
(OK, so I stole the last one and it's a tad cheesy but it's true!)

Anyone got any funny ones? I'm having a 'laugh at life' day. :D

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Shoelaces? :shock: You can get rid of them for a start, Sophie. Velcro is everything :D Peeling a banana? Cut off the top with a knife then score down it with said knife so the peel lifts away.

Before I had athritis I had no idea;

how kind so many people are.

that spillages can be mopped up by dropping a cloth on them and walking it about.

that I had the courage to be diffferent.

that being wheeled home (wheelchair) from a party by a rather widdled husband could be so much fun.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Before I had arthritis I didn't have the courage(or maybe the humility :? ) to ask for help with seemingly simple tasks;
    I didn't truly appreciate the joys of a stroll in the sunshine with the wind in my face rather than sitting indoors because the feet hurt too much to walk on;
    I didn't know how kind perfect strangers could be, and maybe didn't really appreciate just how special sisters were when the chips are down and life is an uphill struggle :) ;
    I didn't know that I could rely on my daughter to do all manner of stuff and my son to dispense the most empathetic hugs when I feel blue, and my amazing hubby to love me for who I am, not who I can never be!

Guess really it's helped me to count my blessings and appreciate the little things in life.

Deb x
  • Starburst
    Options
    that spillages can be mopped up by dropping a cloth on them and walking it about.

Aaah I can top this one; drop a cloth on the floor and the dog walks on it for you. :wink:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options
    Can you get them from OT? :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    You don't need sudoku puzzles - the brain gets quite enough exercise trying to find ways of doing everyday tasks.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Before arthritis I had no idea I that my low standards of housework could drop even further. :lol: I feel sorry for those without this disease, they can do what they want, when they want, how they want, where they want and with whom they want. Poor saps. Where's the challenge in that? :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Before arthritis I had no idea I that my low standards of housework could drop even further.

This made me giggle :lol:

Before arthritis I had no idea it was actually ok to stop. I used to rush around constantly. Now things get done, eventually or if not, well, never mind, but I appreciate everything so much more. I used to take so much for granted.
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    before artritis I never thought id ask another man (smaller than me)
    to unskrew my bottle of coke. :? mike26
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    ....I could not imagine how lonely life would be without Abélard et Heloïse, my strawberry- coloured crutches.
    And yes Mike, I know what you are talking about. It's wine bottles in my case.
  • mike26
    Options
    :lol::lol: know what ur saying caliban, unfortunatley not allowed
    this sort of beverage although i would love a nice full boddied red :P
    mike26..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    But we would never drink it for pleasure! We drink wine for the polyphenols in it! Simply for health reasons! What did YOU think? :wink:
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Before arthritis I didn't know how good frozen mash could be. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh Caliban, you sound like a true romantic. My sticks are known as 'the limbs'. :roll:

Wine counts as one of my five a day. I thank whoever for screwtops and circular rubber grippy things. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    IF I have some kind of health- insurance again one day, I will fight for wine on prescription. Can't be worse than the stuff that made me vomit lately.
  • snowdrop123
    snowdrop123 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Before I had arthritis I didn't realise how many gadgets there are to do all the things I didn't think twice about doing without the need a gadget. It's a whole new shopping experience. :D
  • Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Before arthritis I didn't realise just how useful non slip matting was.....after my trapeziectomy eating a yoghurt left handed was almost impossible. Hilarious to watch tho :lol:
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Before Arthritis, I had no idea that shops with no disabled access could be so annoying!
    How wonderful Radar keys are when you need the loo, hello disabled loo!
    That your carer gets in free when you go to (some) concerts, my OH thinks it's wonderful!
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,950
    Options
    Before arthritis I would run I was always hurrying even the doctor told me to slow down I never thought I would need a mobility scoota now if I hurry I fall over it's changed my life I've never took so many tabs and had so many operations.
    but i'm pleased I would not have looked for this forum and met all you lovely kind people.
    thank you
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I agree with Joan we would never have met one another... :D I have also met some very kind people while I have had my chariot and crutches...some not very nice people but I just ignore them..
    And I have found that id I plaster moisturiser in my crocs and put my feet in them while sat down mat I add.. I get a foot massage and lovely soft feet...try it :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    What a fantastic thread!
    I am going to copy out the posts and make a lovely collage to put in a prominent place in my house.

Before arthritis I used to work in physiotherapy, and never thought it would ever be me!
    Ruby
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Before arthritis I used to get a full nights sleep!
  • debram
    debram Member Posts: 115
    Options
    1).....I'd ever sleep in a seperate bed to my hubby!

We now each have a 3 foot single (joined together) electric beds with memory foam toppers that helps support my aching joints (sometimes!
    I have so many pillows under my arms, between my knees & under my feet that he couldnt get near me if he wanted!
    We rarely meet in the middle- (have been known to fall into the inevitable gap)& as I have both the foot & head up every night the super kingsize quilt goes up too so he ends up shivering! Its a bit like being in a tent for him! LOL

2)... I would ever stay in bed from 9 pm one night until I could drag myself up at 3pm the next afternoon!!! Ive always loved my sleep but this is ridiculous!!

3) Still be up reading this forum at 12:30am because Ive slept too much today!

Ps I wish there was a " like" button on here- some of the threads are hilarious!

Loved reading all your comments!
    :lol:
    Debx
  • mike26
    Options
    your so right As5567
    before arthritis i to used to get a full nights sleep :cry:
    mike26
  • Starburst
    Options
    Before arthritis, I had no idea.....

That the little things in life could bring me so much job.
    That people could be so kind, selfless and generous.
    That complete strangers would go out of their way to do something to help another person.
    That life really is what you make it.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    .....that this is my life ; good and bad , I should savour every moment .
    Jillyb