Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Moving to be closer to work

Jennifer81Jennifer81 Posts: 30
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has moved house so they can be closer to their place of work?

My work is only a 45 journey but because I have a 10 min walk to the train station then have to use the Overground, tube then the DLR, by the time I get to work I am shattered! I feel like I have done a marathon and that my leg is due to drop off! This makes for a very uncomfortable day. (I have arthritis in hips)

I am now seriously considering moving closer to work to have a shorter commute. Or even close enough so I don't even have to commute!

Comments

• KittkatKittkat Posts: 309
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have not done this but if/when i get a job( too ill now) I want to be near to the job as I think the travelling there will kill me not the job.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • Jennifer81Jennifer81 Posts: 30
    The travelling is taking it out if me, I'm shattered when I get to work abd sleeping sometimes by half 7 at night!

I've been off work for 2 weeks, back on Monday. I've been looking at places closer to work so I think I should start making viewings.
  • KittkatKittkat Posts: 309
    Yeah that is not a bad idea. It is all about being the most comfortable you can be I think.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • dibdabdibdab Posts: 1,498
    I moved jobs to be nearer to home to avoid a 40 minute drive each way!
  • Jennifer81Jennifer81 Posts: 30
    Do you just walk to work now? Places I am looking at are a 5 min walk away which I can deal with.
  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    It makes sense to move but that goes to prove just how expensive (and disruptive) our lives can become. I was extremely lucky in that I was self-employed as a mobile tutor for dyslexics but as my mobility decreased I was able to switch to working at home. Some of us don't know we're born, yes? :wink:

I think you are doing the right thing and I hope you are successful in your search. Good luck with it all. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben