Claiming for PIP (benefit that repalces DLA) ?

Options
simont
simont Member Posts: 3
edited 23. Oct 2014, 08:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
WE WANT TO HEAR YOUR STORIES OF CLAIMING FOR PIP

PIP (Personal Independence Payment) is the new benefit that is replacing DLA. All DLA claimants aged 16 – 64 will eventually be re-assessed to see if they qualify for PIP.

We are particularly interested in people who have been assessed for the higher rate of the mobility component of PIP. This is a key change between the eligibility rules for PIP, compared to DLA.

Under the new rules, if a claimant can walk more than just 20 meters they will no longer qualify for the higher rate of the mobility component of PIP. This would mean they would no longer qualify for a vehicle under the Motability scheme.

There are also big concerns about how people are assessed under the new assessment process.

To tell us your experiences, simply fill in this online survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DBC_PIP_survey

For more background on this, go to: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Campaigns/dlapip-news

Or use this forum topic to tell us your stories.

Kind regards,

Arthritis Care

Comments

• brandy192
    brandy192 Member Posts: 73
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Simon Dont know how correct I am but it seems to be taking so long for applications to be processed. I applied for PIP in August then I had an assessment in October and was told not to expect an outcome for 8 weeks if youre survey is still running then I would be happy to fill it in.
  • creakycat
    creakycat Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi, hope it's ok to post here. I just wanted to reply to the post above that said PIP claims seem to be taking a long time. I completely agree. I started my claim at the start of October and have heard nothing from them. No idea how long this process will take? :?:
  • simont
    simont Member Posts: 3
    Options
    The DBC PIP survey will be running well into next year, so hopefully you'll have a chance to submit to it.

But the survey is aimed at people who have had a PIP decision, so (hopefully) this forum will complement the survey by allowing people an opportunity to make comment on issues they experience prior to getting a decision as well.

I'm afraid I can't help you on how long the process is meant to take. The following websites have resources that may be able to answer that question:

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/personal-independence-payment-pip

Best wishes.
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    I shall be 65 in Jan' 14 so I don't know if/when I will be re-assessed, I seem to read varying information. If anyone knows the real facts I'd like to know.
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • Love2Draw
    Love2Draw Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I applied for PIP 6 months ago, after being told to apply after seeing a Disability Employment Advisor at my local Job Centre for a Work Focused Interview for ESA(WRAG). I've heard nothing since then from the JC - not been asked to go to any more WRAG appointments, had no phone calls from them either.
    ALL I've heard so far re my PIP application was a letter a few weeks ago telling me that they (ATOS) were going to write to my GP for more info.
    No assessment, no phone calls, no letters other than that ^ one :x .
    I'm in Scotland if that makes any difference to waiting times.
  • hopeful93
    hopeful93 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi im new to the group I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my spine and nerve damage in my right leg and foot, ive been on tramadol and amatryptaline since dec 2012 had the spinal injection in june 13. I was advised it will get worse over time and was told to apply for PIP i phoned them in july 13 had my face to face assessment beginning of sept 13 and i have been phoning capita every week since dec and still no joy keep getting told its in the final stage. I even asked today can I speak to an health professional they said they did not have any contact details so they cant chase it up its awful is anyone having the same problems :(
  • dalaney
    dalaney Member Posts: 22
    Options
    i applied for PIP on 6th September and I am still waiting for an assessment i keep ringing and keep getting told that there are long delays but that I should hear soon. ........ Its ridiculous how long it is taking .
  • hopeful93
    Options
    Thats awful dalaney how can they keep making people wait for so long whether its for an assessment or a decision, clearly the system they have is not working. Can you not get welfare rights onto it failing that ring your local mp maybe once theyve heard from some sort of official they might just hurry up to give you an assessment then.
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    I'm still confused about PIP. It says it is for 16-64 age group i.e. those of working age. Well, I'm 63 next month, but I've been claiming my state pension since I was 61 (which was the age for women to claim state pension when I retired). So I am not of working age and haven't been since then, but I am still under 65. I do get the highest rate of DLA for mobility and care, but worry about what would happen should they decide to review my case!! Fortunately my husband is now over 65, so this won't happen to him, but it might happen to me!!

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dalaney
    dalaney Member Posts: 22
    Options
    hopeful93 wrote:
    Thats awful dalaney how can they keep making people wait for so long whether its for an assessment or a decision, clearly the system they have is not working. Can you not get welfare rights onto it failing that ring your local mp maybe once theyve heard from some sort of official they might just hurry up to give you an assessment then.

Hi I have made a complaint to DWP minister and got a reply literally outlining all my calls and the delay but no reason other than there are severe delays and any future complaints should be addressed to ATOS directly. Waste of time no service should take this long and my condition has changed since I first applied its getting worse ...
  • brandy192
    Options
    Hi I agree with delany I had my assessment at the end of september and was told by the assessor to chase up my claim if I hadnt heard anything in 8 weeks. When I rang the DWP after 8 weeks I was told they hadnt had the report back from ATOS and was told it wouldnt be long but it is now 3 weeks later and still nothing. From initially applying for PIP my ability to do things and my mobility is getting worse its just not good enough. I have worked all my life and due to arthritis had to give up my job in August I claim ESA but even that is a sham as I havnt even got to assessment stage with that so have £143.40 a fortnight to live on. The stress of worrying about money and my future is contributing to my condition I am sure.
  • hopeful93
    Options
    Its disgusting how long they are making people wait, I phoned capita again on monday after phoning dwp and they said still nothing and I got its in the final stage, so i explained last week it was meant to have been completed just waiting on it being signed off how can it change had a bit off a go telling them its disgusting how long people are being made to wait even though it is a new benefit and if claimants took this long to return back forms they wouldn't even get looked at. I explained that since making my pip claim i have an OT involved and she has given me some mobility things such as raised toilet seat bed rail and advised on other things which i have to purchase and without pip i cannot do and all this waiting and not knowing its adding to stress levels which are already high all he did was apologize and said there is nothing i can do.
  • thenunn
    thenunn Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi all :D I totally agree that PIP applications are taking forever even to get to the medical point. I applied in September 2013 and am still waiting. I spoke to a very nice lady at atos customer service ,who sadly couldnt give me a time for an appointment,but did say sadly due to all the changes the government have put in place it is taking an exceptionally long time. She did say that if PIP id granted it is back paid to the date of apllication.
    Great we Just need to get it lol
  • brandy192
    Options
    hi I appllied for PIP on 12th August, had my assessment on 6th November and I just rang DWP today for an update on my claim the guy said they had recieved my report from ATOS on 27th january but only the electronic one so they were waiting for the paper one and then they could decide if I would recieve PIP this will take another 2-3 weeks maybe more depending on whether they need more information this means it will have taken a good 6 months or more to process. I was dismissed from work in August on uncapability grounds and have been receiving ESA £143.40 per fortnight they also are behind on claims and there is no sign of an assessment from them so the facts on the gov. website of being assessed within 13 weeks is a lie. Its very hard to live off this money and I feel stressed daily about it.
  • hopeful93
    Options
    Hi just an update my assessment from capitita was apparently sent to dwp on the 30th of jan both the hard copy and electronic copy and dwp today are saying they havent had then only had the descriptor (points i have) and they cannot make a decision on that so told me to phone capitita only to be told what date they had sent it over and that if dwp have misplaced my reports they will have to request another which will take more time :(
  • loulou
    loulou Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I applied for PIP last August 2013 after being told by my gp that I was no longer fit for work and he insisted for my own good I have time off and see how I feel.
    I had my assessment in November 2013, as weather and arthritis very much worse, still hasn't returned to work. Told should have a decision in 8 weeks. Started chasing Atos after that every week. Backlog, apologies every time until end of January 2014. Finally told they had sent all docs to DWP in February 2014!!!! Cut a long story short, DWP finally made a decision 12/42014!!!! Taking a total of 8 months beginning to end.
    This is definitely too long for people with disabilities to cope.
    The award was backdated but that wasn't the point. I couldn't afford the help when I needed it. Also, yes I can walk over 20mtres upto 100mtres but it can take me an awful long time!!! I was only awarded 4 points for mobility....I've now had to purchase a mobility scooter to retain some independence when I feel unsafe to drive. I've had to buy a second hand one, no way I can afford a new one!!! Thank goodness for eBay is all I can say!!! Full test drive and check before leaving the seller, its now my lifeline. If I'd got it under the old DLA I would have had an allowance for one. You can't get a loan for one on ESA benefits so I would now be housebound if I hadn't have used part of my back pay for my caring needs to help my mobility needs!!!!
    The whole system for disabled people sucks, going from fulltime pay (single older woman) to sick pay was bad enough, then the claim for housing benefit, not forgetting the bedroom tax fiasco cos I have a spare room for my daughter to stay over occasionally... Then the ESA assessment process of 12 weeks so down to £71.40 , not enough to pay the rent excess, bills, car,etc. Oh and food........no money for food, my mother, a pensioner, fed me until my ESA and PIP were sorted. How humiliating for a 45 year old woman who had always been financially independent to go from full time work to financially flipped in 8 months..... Yes I have the help I need now but sooooo much paperwork at a time when I could hardly think straight. Its not a fair system....
    [colour=green]
    Loulou[/colour]
    XxxxxX
  • codie96
    codie96 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm so relieved I can chat to others surrounding this situation

I'm 17years old and have Suffered badly with RA for 2 years! I had to quit my job because it was not healthy for my condition as it deteriorated quickly. But I applied for PIP around june 13- I got sent and application form to fill out about my condition and sent it off but I didn't hear anything back. I rang 0845 850 3322 and they told me to ring 0300 3300 120 but neither of these numbers was any help when I rang one they told me to ring the other and the same with the other number etc, I rang a these numbers a lot of times but they have messed me about, like I said I applied for it almost a year ago and still nothing has been done it is ridiculous! I don't have a job so I'm wasting money I havnt got on taxi's and buses ect because I can't walk and this money was meant to help me out but nobody is actually doing anything about my application.
  • bluebunner
    bluebunner Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I received my PIP application form/booklet in the post today and will do the necessary ASAP. Once it has gone off in the post I will keep you all posted as to how it goes along.
  • Philippa1961
    Philippa1961 Member Posts: 38
    Options
    My husband applied for PIP in 2013 and had to wait till August 2013 for a medical assessment. He eventually found out at the beginning of May 2014 that he had been awarded PIP.

I applied for PIP at the beginning of October 2013 and had my medical assessment on the 13th June 2014. Since then I have had two letters from ATOS. The first was to inform me my assessment had been picked for auditing and the second to let me know it's been passed onto the DWP. I was told I would be informed of the decision would take 8 weeks from when I had the assessment. After how long it took my husband almost a year to get awarded PIP I'm not holding my breath on how quickly I get a decision.
  • bluebunner
    Options
    You should get your award from the date you first applied therefore a nice little lump of money well worth waiting for in some cases. :D

I posted my PIP application today and will keep you all posted on any developments. 8)
  • Philippa1961
    Philippa1961 Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hopefully they are getting their act together now and it won't be too much of a long wait. When I spoke to a lady around the time we knew my husband had been awarded PIP she said they hadn't expected so many to apply. That's why it's taking to long. One of our neighbours is waiting for the outcome of his medical assessment as well. He needs to be careful though as he claimed that he needs a crutch to help him with his walking yet when he walks his dog he doesn't use it.
  • bluebunner
    Options
    Walking the dog ?????? No way should he be claiming PIP, that's why those of us who qualify get a bad name ?

Unless he told a few untruths ??????? :x
  • johnsouthwales
    johnsouthwales Member Posts: 58
    Options
    that is problematic. if a gp and the nhs, or even this website recommends people with arthritis to do some light exercise, would dog walking around the block or a gentle stroll come under this category - stick or no stick.

unless everybody on pip is housebound or banned from doing any activity at all that may bring their conditions under dispute due to the propaganda machines, it leaves a lot of people wondering what the heck to do.. stay in and waste or go out and be found fit for work... damned if you do and damned if you don't.....

where would it end? pip claimant been seen shopping in supermarket.. oh the irony.

Pruning a rose bush? or seen carrying out their recycling refuse blue bag
  • johnsouthwales
    johnsouthwales Member Posts: 58
    Options
    depends what level pip the person was getting. if getting higher rate cos they cannot walk more than 10m..

or then again maybe they got the higher rate with 8 points on mobility and topped up with day to day points to top it up to the required 12??

just a thought like.. meaning they can walk 50m.. stop for a moment then carry on.

The same old arguement, if a bus stop is 300m from their house, haven't got a cats hell of a chance of getting dla if the bus takes them to the twon 2 miles away to get food... or visit the gp
  • bluebunner
    Options
    bluebunner wrote:
    I received my PIP application form/booklet in the post today and will do the necessary ASAP. Once it has gone off in the post I will keep you all posted as to how it goes along.

I was visited this morning by a chap from ATOS who asked a lot of questions about my application then went into the medical side of my application.

He is not a GP but is medically trained (a nurse) he did not medically examine me but the questions he asked were very thorough and ended up with a small physical test.

He said he will have the report in by the end of the week and I could possibly hear something from the PIP decision people within a couple of months.