Pain clinic tomorrow.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 6. Dec 2013, 06:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
My appointment is at 1.45 on the ninth floor of the maternity wing. I did a recce round there today (it's one block I have never visited before), there is limited disabled parking but hopefully we will strike lucky. I will need to rollator in because I am somewhat inconvenienced by pain but Mr DD will be with me (as ever) for moral support). This will be my first visit to such a clinic, obviously I don't know what to expect but, if I do learn anything of value I will report back, is that OK? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Do you want pocket dwellers ? I'm coming anyway.
    Good luck . Mig
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I remember when you first mentioned this appointment and its location I found it rather ironic. However on the plus side at least they will be used to folks with compromised mobility one would hope - being heavily pregnant and/or in labour doesn't make stairs the first access choice for such dizzy heights!
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I'm coming too. I want to eavesdrop.....

Hope it goes well, DD
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi DD
    I hope it goes well, and you get a parking space nearby too.
    I will be interested to hear how it goes, never done pain clinic.
    Take care
    NB
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I hope you find it helpful DD, and will be very interested to hear all about it.
    Numpty
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Of course you can report back, errrm............ is there something you are not telling us about ninth floor on the maternity wing :wink: hope you have a good and beneficial day.................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Pocket dwellers are not required as such (because 'im indoors will be with me) but you are all welcome to join us. (I will, as usual, be wearing a skirt with limited pockets so it's on a first-come-first-served basis. :wink: )

I am aware that my ways of coping with pain tend to go against the usual grain but it works for me. I regard pain as a necessary feedback (which is wokring well tonight) but I realise that for others any level of pain is unbearable. I confess I am curious about tomorrow - will it be just me and him or will there be a group of fellow-sufferers (with or without support)? This time tomorrow I will know, yes?

Right, I have to go and cook because he will be late. I may get to see 'Last Tango' but maybe not. No matter, it's only telly, and, thanks to modern things, I can do 'catch-up'. :) DD

PS Thank you for replying, as always I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

PPS Viller? I can assure you that no, there is nothing to know. :wink:
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hope it goes well, DD. Any tips you learn are always welcomed. :)

I think we all have different ways of dealing with pain. I had my 2 hours of MRI scans today and my hips were so unhappy with lying on that hard bed, I was almost in terms. So I distracted myself by thinking of the little girl I used to nanny for. She has a terminal heart condition and she goes through all these scans and other treatments at the tender age of 2. I thought if she can cope, I can suck it up and not be a wimp. Kind of alternative maybe, but works for me.

Take good care!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD
    Well when I was first sent to a Pain clinic I found it helpful
    Meds didnt get changed but there were quite a few things suggested....some work some don't :lol:

One of the things that I find helpful {you might not} is they suggested a group......chronic pain management.
    Similar to arthritis courses but they aren't restricted to 2 weeks or 6 weeks. This goes on and on and on....We meet once a month for 2 hours {in theory :lol: }Phil that takes our course is good....he will come in with ideas what he is going to be talking about......then over coffee {before we start} he might over hear something between 2 people and he'll say would you like to discuss that today then???
    I always come out feeling much better than when I went in.
    Its starts 10.30am but the majority of us meet for coffee at 10am and a catch up......You know what an arthritis course is like.....you pick things up from the others as well as Phil. some people have been going to it for 3 years.
    I was also referred {last year} by them to a psychologist with depression {not severe she said but definite depression} and the meetings with her helped as well.
    Tens didn't help much LOL
    Facet joint injections didn't help much either
    It was like an ordinary consultant appointment.....just him and you
    Well thats my experience anyway
    Let us know how it goes
    Love
    Hileena
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Hope it goes well and you get some useful help DD. I use the pain as feedback too. I think if there is no pain, how do you know what is hurting and so not doing so well? Once it gets too much, I take the painkillers. I'd be interested in what happens there. I won't climb in your pocket though as it sounds as if they'll be full. I'll just peer in through the window. Must remember to bring a ladder. :lol:
    Christine
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Good luck for the Pain Clinic DD. I would be really interested to know how it goes. It does seem to be daft to have it on the 9th floor but I suppose it's okay as long as the lift works.

I have my CBT assessment on Thursday - a day where storm force winds with snow are forecast and the title of the charity is; (place name) Alcohol Counseling and Advisory Service so I'm already dreading being spotted going in and all the assumptions that might be made by anyone who knows me :oops: It is three floors up with no lift. I don't think I'll be that sad if I don't manage to get there somehow?

Taking Mr DD with you is a really good plan I think.
    Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    The very best of luck DD (((hugs)))

I received my 'urgent' referral to our pain clinic, the request was put in in July then my GP wrote a letter to expedite it .... 18th March!!! :roll: I wonder if they have any REAL concept of wot chronic pain is? I doubt it other than in theory.

I will be hoping to be proved wrong by ure fabulous appointment DD :D

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    So you and Mr DD will both be up in maternity but we're expected to believe this is just for a Pain Clinic :o (A very suitable place for a Pain clinic though :wink: )

I've never done one so I've no advice. I do hope they can help though and I applaud you for leaving no stone unturned despite having lived with pain for so long.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hope the appointment goes well and gives you some useful information/strategies/treatment. I'd be fascinated to hear about it if you're happy to share. Sometimes we learn from other folk's experiences, and it demystifies the unknown things we run up against.

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, today will be a good day to go because I am in utter misery with it all. I've been awake since 4am, I've had four cocos already and it's still panging, twanging and spasm-ing merrily away. He's at home today having a day off work (which means he is sitting in bed, working and on the 'phone), I forced myself to do some breakfast for him which I delivered twenty minutes ago and it's still sitting there. I made an effort to do his boiled eggs just how he likes them - what a shame they'll have 'gorn 'orf'. :) DD

PS Does anyone have a mallet? I'm not sure who I'll use it on first.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hope you have a positive appt today, let us know how you get on. Take care and wrap up warm!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hope it all goes well DD..these pain are all different..its mine next week to review my injections ...hoping they can offer something to bring you some relief...and good luck with the parking
    Love
    Barbara
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Thinking of you both today ; hope it's a useful app.
    Jillyb
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi DD
    I hope your appointment is a success mine was an utter waste of time! I was sat down told to fill in these sheets the usual drawing of a person front and back views and told to put crosses where my pain was by time I'd finished the picture was full of crosses! Didn't get chance to fill in any other questions regarding pain!
    Saw this little man who was more bothered about this cycle helmet that what was wrong with me! Left with instructions to keep increasing my transdermal patches until the pain had eased!
    Needless to say I never went back! My Rheumy says what a waste of time we will sort it out!
    That was about 4-5 years ago and hopefully not all pain clinics are like that!
    Let us all know how you get on
    Maria
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Trusting it will go well and hopefully you'll get something out of it DD. Hugs as always x
    Toots x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, it wasn't a complete waste of time but, truth be told, it wasn't far from it. He covered the same ground as the AC course I attended a while ago (and also being done on Chat4Change), told me things I already know and do (pace yourself, rest often, avoid stress whenever possible) then informed me it has to be lived with (no, really? That's a shock :wink: ) and suggested CBT. He agreed that pain levels are a useful feedback, said he could give me stronger meds but we both agreed I am on enough for the time being (I have my trammies in case of need plus I don't enjoy being zombie-fied) and he gave me the details of a Fibro Group that meets in Ipswich every two months; the next session is on 10th December so I will ring them. I am also booked in on 17th December for a pain management course at the hospital but I may reconsider that. He said that as a doctor it was very frustrating not to be able help his patients more but he showed awareness of the effects of ongoing pain on both the patient and those around them.

The most interesting thing was the view from his window. We could see the roofs of the terrace in which we currently live, plus the Orwell Bridge and the faint outline of Felixstowe Docks. He must have one of the best offices in the entire hospital!

I suspect for someone new to it all it would be a useful service but, being an old hand now, I know and understand that there is very little to be done medically. I have learned over the years to adapt and adjust and I will continue to do so because that is what helps me the most. DD
  • firestar
    firestar Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Good Luck DD hope it goes well.

I would definitely recommend going to pain clinics and joining a group or having one to one CBT (Cognitive behavioural therapy) it has been shown in research to have a very positive effect. It is what I do for my day job and the government has put in lots of money to help people get better access. And even though I am trained in CBT, and been working in it for years, I have started to attend a pain clinic for CBT (I had my first appointment on Monday) as I can see it will benefit me to have someone help me manage things and help me look at things in a more objective way.
    As they say 'there is no pain without the brain' and how we interpret pain has a big impact on how we feel pain.

Important to remember too that health professionals are not saying that pain is in the persons head if they refer to psychology or pain clinics they are just recognising that CBT helps develop more coping strategies.

I hope it goes well for you.
    Xx
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    I'm glad it went as well as it could for you. I'm surprised they didn't suggest slow release tramadol for you so you wouldn't feel spaced out!!

A Fm group would be good, hopefully :)

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have slow-release tramadol but I keep them for the truly severe times. I think they're out of date now because over the years I have developed my coping strategies; they failed me last night, a sign of increasing stress methinks. I am not having an easy time at the moment thanks to the impending move so it may not be the best time to start exploring these avenues. Much to my surprise I heard myself this morning refusing to cook and stating we would have a take-away. He obviously heard the determination in my voice because that is what we are having. :lol: DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Are you sure you went to the Pain Clinic and not the Assertiveness Clinic?

I'm not really surprised it had little to teach you but it's good to explore all avenues. How else can we be sure?

I hope the Take-Away is good :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright