8 Weeks after THR is this normal.

Options
elsa56
elsa56 Member Posts: 98
edited 26. Feb 2014, 11:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was expecting too much I think. Scar healed good but still getting a lot of pain in my lower leg and knee. When I sit down my leg goes numb and then aches like mad. I've tried lying on my operated side and it feels like a brick. I am doing my excercises and going for short walks and getting regular massage from hubby. Still taking Tramadol at night along with ibroprophen. My physio seems to think I'm doing ok due to the set backs I had, and that my leg is an inch longer than the other one. To be honest I regret having it done right now.
Barbara have yo some good advice for me?.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, for what it's worth I reckon you are in that horrid no-man's land of the early-to-mid-period of healing, which can be the most frustrating of times. On the surface things are looking good (are you gently applying baby or bio-oil to help the scar neatly heal?) but on the inward side of things there is still some way to go. Healing takes time and the older we get the slower it happens - this is a basic fact of life. I had two open synovectomies (over the same wound) sixteen months apart and the second one took a while to truly heal. You are doing the right things but this will take time, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Hello Elsa. I'm 53 & 3.5 weeks post TKR and feel like i've hit a brick wall & am in a real rut. Am doing my exercises, finding if difficult to get level of activity right without the leg swelling up & stiffening. I thought I'd be further on than this and like you am thinking have I done the right thing. Still taking Tramadol at night and having very disturbed nights by pain (worse in bed than when up)
    Common sense & other people's experience tells me it'll get better but it doesn't feel like it at the moment.
    I like Barbara's no man's land expression!
    Thinking of you.
    Love Fiona
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm not Barbara. :? Joints take years to get to the point of needing replacement so comparatively speaking healing time is fairly rapid. I think it's more to do with the fact that the patient is further inconvenienced for a period of time and that is not easily borne.

I face another six weeks of one-armed banditry. So what? The time will pass, things will heal, physio will happen and then I'll only have the arthritis to deal with! :lol: I never thought that would be a boon! :D DD (who still isn't Barbara)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Eight weeks is not long at all, Elsa and, if your physio is happy with your progress, that's good. I've come to the conclusion, during my time on AC, that expectations of joint replacement surgery are often unrealistic. A lot of damage has been done. A lot of time is needed to heal that damage. Eight weeks isn't a lot of time. Just keep plugging away at the exercises, elevating it when you can and don't ask too much of it yet in other spheres.

Having said that, the 1” discrepancy between the two leg lengths sounds like a lot to me and, especially if the operated leg is the longer one, that will put pressure on the new joint. Has anything been suggested to deal with this? I can only wear surgical shoes so it's not much of a problem for me. They simply raise one side and/or lower the other. This is the area I'd be asking about.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Elsa and Fiona I am with DD its no mans land...my brick wall was at 8 weeks post op..seem to be doing really well then...different kinds of pain hit..but when you think how your hip .. muscles.. tendon and such... have been well thrown a round . :shock: your body has a lot of work to do.
    I am now 7months post op..and I have a strange pain down my outer thigh...and calf..my arthroplasty nurse says the thigh pain is the muscles trying to repair..and my calf is coming form my bad back.
    People are so different when it come to any op..a couple of ladies that had there's a day after me went home before me.
    I still cant believe how strong it feels..but sadly my back is letting me down..give it time and dont do any bending..but if you are worried have a word with the hospital..not every op goes right... :roll: let me know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elsa56
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. You have made me feel better about it all.
    It is the bad leg that is longer than the other Sticky and yes I do feel pressure when I walk. My physio told me to stand on a book to do my excercises to put me level, but hasn't mentioned anything to help.
    I'm still using both crutches as too painful just using one and have back and shoulder problems as well which doesn't help.
    Thanks Barbara for your honesty about the pains in your leg, I hope they soon go away xx.
    I get so depressed about things and shut myself away and now realise that talking helps xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Shutting oneself away seems like a plan but, truly, it isn't. I was overwhelmed with relief when I found this site because I was the only one within our immediate social group (and still am - methinks it's about time they began to do the decent middle-aged thing :wink: ) who was trying to get on and live with this malarkey but the discovery I was not alone? Oh my word that helped.

You will get there but the key, as always, is being a patient patient - and that is not easy. DD
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    I just wanted to say well done. Anyone that needs new joints (I don't as yet & I'm hopeful I never will) is brave for doing it ... There seems to many more good outcomes than bad now a day's.

Stay strong.

(((Hugs)))

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Hello again Elsa.
    After several days of feeling utterly miserable and seeimg no progress, today, after a better night, and being able to lie on my side more comfortably than before, I have woken up more positive and feel like I have turned a bit of a corner (famous last words, touch wood & all that!) hang in there, it will come, I think someone else said that to me!
    My back is a problem too, and it affects the thigh on my operated side :0( but it has not been too bad thankfully, prob cos I'm less active, altho I thought some of the exercises might aggravate. There, another positive :0)
    My family have been terrific, son no 1 back from Afghanistan in one piece, what more could I wish for. But that didn't help the sense of isolation with this new joint, I have so appreciated this forum.
    I don't mean to high jack your post and make it mine, you can't hear tone of voice in text.
    Onwards and upwards Elsa!
    Love fionax
  • barbara12
    Options
    Morning Elsa and Fiona

sorry Fiona I missed your other thread
    Just to say that like both of you I hit a brick wall..and came on here having a moan..so its not uncommon ...I was on such an high after the op because it had gone so well ...I never expected to go through Phases....like I have said my hip now is really good...just different pains that appear..my back is my main cause of pain..but they recon when I have mu other hip done I wont be twisting the same ..this throws the sacroiliac joint out and is very painful.
    My op leg is slightly longer...but the nurse says if you think about it the bad hip is wearing down so that will be getting shorter ... :roll:
    I do wish you both well but dont always take my word for things if you are worried get in touch with them..I have a card with my Arthroplasty nurses num so I van ring up when worried..Fiona glad you have turned a corner...it took me awhile before I could lie on my op side..maybe 4 moths or so then it was only for short periods..xxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I think with a new hip it does take longer for the blessed relief of side-sleeping to be gained, yes? That is a very different operation and the joint is simpler than the hinged knee.

Hello Elsa, how are things today? I hope you are feeling better / brighter in yourself. DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Elsa
    How are things today?
    I'm 3 weeks {tomorrow} post op THR.
    I've had contradictory info from people.
    The physio said lie on your back until the staples come out then you can lie on operated side ....I have the same problem as Barbara......back problems.
    The consultant says 6 weeks on your back :?
    You take care and don't hide away.....that makes things so much worse. Do your best to get out {whatever way you can} or people coming to see you
    Take care
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    Options
    DD and fionabee are right, Elsa. It's better to feel amongst people who understand. Arthritis does isolate and it must be particularly difficult for you post-op. Please don't shut yourself away again.

When do you see your surgeon/physio/GP? I think that leg discrepancy needs tackling. I guess you could use an insole in the shorter leg and also do they still make stick-on soles for shoes? That would raise it up a bit.
    Steven Wright
  • elsa56
    Options
    You are all right about being with people who understand us and I know I am my own worst enemy for believing I have to get on with it on my own.
    I had a bad night last night, woke up in agony, hubby had to get up and put 3 pillows under my leg to lift it up which did ease it after a while.
    Still taking the tramadol at night x 2 and it does get me to sleep but once I wake up I can't get back to sleep.
    Pleased you had abetter night Hileena and I know my turn will come, I do try to keep myself occupied but can't get out much as still not driving and most days hubby starts work at 5-30am till 8or 9pm so a long day trying to cope with everything . So if I can't get dressed properly I stay in my night clothes :( .
    I hate sleeping on my back and can't wait for the day I can get in bed and snuggle up my way.
    I had a call today from my occupational therapist and she wanted to know what I needed before going in for my THR,,,, I rang the beginning of December to ask for advice and it's taken till now to be contacted, what a laugh.
    I have got an appointment the end of the month to see my surgeon, I will ask about my leg difference then.
    Barbara when do they think you will have your other hip done? They have told me that I will need the other one done within 2 years. Have you got problems with it or is it normal procedure?
    Let's all look forward to a good day tomorrow xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hello Elsa
    It is awful sleeping on your back and so lovely when you manage your side and you will...I think that being on your own most of the day is causing you to be low..and like you say you don't have the distractions..is there no one that can help through the day...I remember when hubby had to work I sought of went into panic mode...so it is normal what you are going through..plus you had a bad time with the op.
    My other hip is has bad...they said 6 months after my first one..but I just don't feel ready..and I have to have an op on my hand...they have given me an open appointment so I can ring when ready.
    I hope tonight is a better one..you will get there I promise...((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elsa56
    Options
    I did have a better night last night and a reasonable day today.
    Dropped a few things on the floor and hubby went round and picked them up when he got home.
    Thought I would have a try at laying on my side and no way could I stay on it, really does feel like a brick and very very painful. I would have thought I could do that by now.
    Anyway tomorrow is another day and yes Barbara things will get better we will both be running a marathon before long (in our dreams)
    Xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It may be a good time to invest in a grabber - mine is very useful not only for picking up dropped objects - it reaches things on shelves and is excellent for tidying straggling rose stems and ivy. DD
  • barbara12
    Options
    Elsa..like I said it was around 3 months before I slept on my side then it was for around 20 mins...but now its fine..like DDsays have you got a grabber...I have 3 around the house,, but still forget and bend over....you take care.xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elsa56
    Options
    I have got a grabber, but only the one and i put it down somewhere and forget where it is :| I will have to get another couple and tie one round my neck. and DD I wont be doing any gardening for a while :o .
    I did manage to get myself dressed today including knicks and I used my grapper to put them on.
    I will give up tryng to lay on my side for a while Barbara, I was in agony all night after trying too :( .
    I didn't mention but on 24th January I was sitting in a chair home alone and I saw a flash of lightning and a big clap of thunder followed, I was just struggling to get out of the chair to go to the window too watch it when another flash of lightning and a very loud bang in my Living room next to me and the lights went out. It scared the life out of me and I jumped out of the chair and that hurt.
    It hit the aerial on the roof and came down the cable and blew my TV, Blue Ray player ,Sky box , Play station,Gas boiler, House alarm, Telephones and Cooker. And we have one of those Smart Meters and ait blew that as well so no Electric. Did manage to get the electric people out to get the it back on about 6 hours later after sitting in darkness.
    When it happened I called my so called friend across the road who has a key to my house and said anytime you need me I will come over, well I rang on my mobile and her son answered the phone and I told him that the electric had gone and that I was too scared to walk around the house to put it back on and he said Oh we are ok here, just go and put the trip switch back up and put the phone down :o .
    He was visiting his mum and was with his partner who is a carer and another woman so he could have come over without leaving his mum on her own.
    She rang me the next day and jokingly said are you avoiding me as Ive been trying to ring you. I wont tell you what I said to her but she hasn't been near me since.
    Guilty consionce I think. This hasn't help me feel any better either.
    All my family live 5 miles or more away and living in a village is hard to get too if you don't drive. There we go moan over and slowly getting things replaced from the insurance.
    Anyway will carry on moving forward
    Hope tou are both feeling good today
    Lots of Love (((xx)))
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Goodness me, elsa, I bet that lightening thing was scary, especially while you are so incapacitated. Well done you for keeping your cool!

I'm sorry it all went wrong with your neighbour. Her son sounds a rather unsympathetic character. Sometimes, with some people, one just has to be blunt and say 'Please will you come round and sort it for me as I can't'. It's possible his Mum has no idea of what you rang about and is genuinely puzzled by the whole thing.

Anyway, how are the pain levels today?
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    Options
    Elsa I am terrified of lightening ..you hear all these story's ..and see it on the news..blimey you did better than I would have done...your neighbours honestly...like SW says sometimes you have to be blunt... :roll:
    Yes just give up lying on that side for a while it will come..mine is my other side that is painful to lie on now.. :roll: you will get there but I understand how hard it must be being on your own...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elsa56
    Options
    After my silly antics trying to lay on my side, today has been better.
    Hubby took me to Argos to get some replacements clocks , heat pad and telephones thanks to the insurance paying out some of the money.
    Then we went off too two other shops and by the time we had finished hubby had to lift my leg in the car as I couldn't lift it and it was an uncomfortable jouney home and now aching.
    I went to bed for a couple of hours when I got home which was lovely.
    SW I was so shaken on the phone he would have heard it in my voice.
    I phoned my daughter straight after and she wanted to get a taxi too me because she said I sounded terrified and in pain, so he must have heard the same...
    I just won't be calling on her for help anymore, this isn't the first time i've called her for help and she has made an excuse as to why she didn't answer the phone.
    I used to love watching the lightning out of the kitchen window and would have done that day. I was very lucky because I would have been leaning on the stainless steel sink and the way it hit it would have got me as well.
    My neighbour next door to me her son was having a shower and he felt a shock when it struck through the water.
    Yesterday the sky went black and my heart sank thinking we was going to have another storm and hubby was at work, but thank god it didn't happen.. I will be hiding under the covers in future I think.
    Looking forward to another good day tommorow
    lots of love
    Elsa (((xx)))
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Oh Elsa
    That must have been so frightening. Especially being on your own.
    I would have been terrified.
    As for the grabber ...I've got 2...one stays downstairs and one stays upstairs.
    Hubby is the other grabber :lol:
    The first one I got from the OT the second one I got because hubby saw it at a car boot sale and thought it might come in handy.
    Hope things are getting better for you.....I was 2 weeks post op last Fri and got some of the staples out....she didn't take them all out. Left the middle ones and is coming back tomorrow and says they will probably come out then
    You take care
    Love
    Hileena
  • elsa56
    Options
    Yes i was scared Hileena, and am a little worried how I will react when we have another storm.
    Three different people who came out to put things right said we was lucky that it didn't catch fire, lots of burnt fuses and wires.
    Yes I will get another grabber, can't expect hubby to come home and spend half the night clearing up after me.
    I didn't have any staples or stitches to be removed, mine were disolveable under the skin. It's just over a 6 inch scar and am using bio oil, hopefully it will fade.
    Hope you have a good night
    Love Elsa
    ((Xx))
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi Elsa
    Im glad to see you had a couple of hours out..it does help..and makes you feel more human..the scar sound nice and small mine is double that ...and I had staples...I hope today is a good one for you xx
    Love
    Barbara