dislocated my THR :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply, NB. My heart goes out to you, what a horrid thing to happen. I hope the pain clinic goes well and that they can offer you some support. I'm not surprised that you're nervous about moving in certain ways, I'd be too! I think you're being very brave in the circumstances. Having had no personal experience, I have no advice except to say, that please vent away 'cause we are here to listen. xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi NB
    Glad you got through to your boss and she is sympathic.
    Thurs wont be long coming then you'll have your brace. :wink:
    I'm off to my Pain management tomorrow with Peter as chauffeur :D
    I use my V Pillow these days with a couple of ordinary pillows underneath it. Cant lie on my back...have to be nearly upright.
    You take care and be careful.
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, NB, how are things today? The 'sleeping-on-your-back-so-not-sleeping' thing is a nightmare and exacerbates matters. :( Here's to Thursday - not long to go now. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for your post Starburst x

Hileena, I hope your Pain clinic appointment goes well. we will have to compare notes when I get back from mine!

DD, I am doing ok thanks. My hip feels quite wobbly this morning, popping and sliding a little whjen I move/walk. Scares the heck out of me :shock:
    I am keen to get to my appointment tomorrow but am scared about what he might suggest. I do not want further surgery. Although after reading around treatment of late disloctions/repeated dislocations often is a revision of the THR. Not what I want at all.
    Anyway, off to pain clinic today. A medication review and a further consultation with a view to facet joint injections.
    Sunny day here 8)
    Take care all xx
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    In my seventeen years of LWA I have concluded that life has nothing to do with what we want and all to do with what we don't. :) I can understand your caution and fears so take things very gently today and tomorrow and please let us know the outcome of your appointment. DD
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi DD
    That is very true. My Mum has said it is like a game of snake and ladders. (for me at least!) I move forward, a little, upwards even, and then just when you think things are reaching a bit of normality (whatever that is!!) out comes a dirty great snake and you slide back down to where you started. I can honestly say this sums up my life for the past 6 years really.
    I just hope that if surgery is advised, it doesn`t stop our family holiday this year, as it did last year. I don`t mind for me, but feel my hubby and kids have put up with enough at arthurs` expense!
    I will keep in touch x
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello NB
    I can only imagine how scared you are of tomorrow,I will have everything crossed that you don't need surgery..I wounder if the hip brace is like the hip support that are sold in mobility shops I was considering buying one..not for my new one but the old hip... :roll:
    Let us know how you get on...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    HI Barbara
    Thanks xx
    The brace the hospitals usually provide are more bulky than the ones I have seen in mobility shops/magazines but probably do a similar job of supporting the joint.
    I will let you know if I get one tomorrow!
    NB
  • barbara12
    Options
    Thanks NB will be thinking about you..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I hope today has gone / is going well and that you have gained some more information and help. DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hope all has gone well NB have ben thinking about you.............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi .
    I thought I`d do a quick update after seeing my Consultant yesterday .
    He has signed me off work for 6 weeks and to go back to see him then. He doesn`t want to rush in and do surgery/revision as I already have poor muscle strength/damaged soft tissue around my hip and further surgery would make it more so. And it is only muscle/ligaments that keep the hip replacement in place. Because I had my hips replaced as a result of secondary OA due to hip dysplasia, my muscles are poor/less due to the dysplasia.
    He decided against a hip brace as it will prevent my own muscle tone improving as my body would rely on the brace. I am to do gentle abduction exercises to try to build up the muscle strength. He said not to think about work yet, as I cannot work for 6 weeks anyway.
    I am at a higher risk of further dislocations as I have 2 now, and he cannot give any assurances that it won`t happen again.
    I came away feeling very fed up, worried and angry.
    I have told my new manager. She said not to worry about my workload. She will have to refer me to Occ Health again although even she said they will not be able to do anything. She said she will need to bring herself up to date with my file re previous work related meetings and will discuss things with her manager re what happens next ? further meetings about my future.
    I feel like I want to shout at someone, don`t know who, or why even!!!!
    NB
  • barbara12
    Options
    Awww NB i can only imagine how frustrated and depressed you are..do what I do have a good scream when everyone is out...glad you don't need an op though,
    good luck with work at least she is reading through your file..and may be will get you more help when you get back...sorry I wish I could offer more help but you know were we are to let off steam has they say...((((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Scream into a pillow, it sometimes helps! I'm not surprised you're feeling frustrated, it must feel overwhelming. We are here if you want to vent or maybe try a virtual scream?! Be kind to yourself. x
  • Settler
    Settler Member Posts: 51
    Options
    What is THR , seen a few places ?
    Shirley
  • Settler
    Settler Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Total hip replacement got it, sorry lol
    Shirley
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I can understand your reaction, NB, I do the pillow scream every now and again because we used to live in a mid-terrace with neighbours just the other side of the walls. It was very therapeutic.

None of what you were told was what you wanted to hear. Dammit, dammit, dammit. :x DD
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Barbara and DD
    I have done a bit of ranting and shouting when no one was around. :lol:
    I had a lovely afternoon out at my old colleagues retirement party. It was so nice to see so many people I haven`t seen for a while (I left that job 11 years ago for my current job) The only bad thing was the many questions of "ooh crutches, what have you been doing?" And even worse "Oh no, you were on crutches last time I saw you. Are you ever without crutches/a stick". I just smiled and tried to laugh it off, no point taking it to heart. Does me no good.
    I have a member of the Rapid assessment team coming out to see me today, to see how I am getting on and if I need any other equipment etc..
    I am up showered, dressed and ready for when they arrive. I had a scary moment putting my socks on, with the sockaid mind you, when I felt my left hip slide again. I can only liken it to the feeling of 2 ball bearings rubbing together but in my hip joint. I froze , waiting to see if it moved too much, but luckily no. Just another reminder of what I have to deal with now.
    Mr NB has said we can start looking for a new sofa and chair for the conservatory as the old one is too low for me to sit on, and is not able to be raised up as the feet are to big. And it is getting a bit past it too.
    So I am feeling quite excited about that!!
    Sun is out here, I hope it is where you are too 8)
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello NB, how did the assessment go and are you feeling OK in yourself? I've been thinking about you. DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi NB
    Just popped in to ask how you're getting on. Hope the visitors were able to help, and that the furniture shopping has become a reality :D

Deb x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi NB
    How are things going with you

Love
    Hileena
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Hileena
    I am doing ok thanks. I had physio yesterday at Wrightington. He was shocked to hear of my dislocation, especially as it was so late post operatively. He showed me a few more exercises to do to try to rebuild my muscles around the hip.
    I still have pain but am taking the Tramadol as advised by pain clinic. I go back to pain clinic next week for a review, and physio the week after.
    I am trying to keep positive about the future and not thinking about work too much if I can. My colleagues have been keeping in touch and are all concerned about me.
    I got my appointment to see the Consultant again, 8th May, so hope to know more then.
    Hope you are healing well xx
    NB
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hello NB
    Glad to see things area little brighter...its good that your colleagues are so supportive it must help, sorry to hear you are still in pain but I suppose the ligaments and tendons will have been stretched..good luck with the appointment I am there on the 1st of May to see a rheumy.. :roll: xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi NB
    Glad things are at least moving for you
    It was 4 weeks after it happened with me and they said nothing could be done before I saw anyone.
    Today I was in the gym at the physio....like you got a few more exercises to strengthen my hip
    See the ortho on Friday.
    Like your consultant....everyone that I have talked to...GP Physio etc has never heard of the Greater Trochanter bone going during an exercise...they say it is fairly normal but usually during the op
    In fact they showed me both hips x ray and lo and behold the THR from 4 years ago had a crack.....No on said anything but that was the same thing except it cracked but didn't move so no pain, this one the bone has moved up.
    We'll bot have to be very careful
    Love
    Hileena