HIAB27

fulton
fulton Member Posts: 88
edited 30. Mar 2014, 15:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys, can anyone tell what HIAB27 is? I've tested positive to it.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
  • fulton
    Many thanks Elna
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,274
    Our Elna come to the rescue again,I had no idea what it was....so am going to read the link...
  • nonaproxin
    nonaproxin Member Posts: 53
    Causes of ankylosing spondylitis

The cause of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is not fully understood. However, a particular gene (unit of genetic material) has been identified that is closely linked to the condition.
    HLA-B27

Research has shown most people who have ankylosing spondylitis carry a particular gene known as human leukocyte antigen B27 (HLA-B27). Among people with ankylosing spondylitis, nine out of 10 have HLA-B27.

It is thought that having HLA-B27 may make having ankylosing spondylitis more likely. However, if you have the gene it does not necessarily mean you will also have the condition. It is estimated that 8 in 100 people in the general population have the HLA-B27 gene but do not have ankylosing spondylitis.

Testing for the gene is not a very reliable method of diagnosing ankylosing spondylitis because some people can have the HLA-B27 gene but not have ankylosing spondylitis, and there are different subtypes of HLA-B27.

I actually carry this gene, and have not got ANK SPON..But my Brother has, I however have got Osteoarthritis instead...which my Conslutant said it the better of the two to actually have....I don't agree with him today, as I am climbing the walls with it !!!

Regards,Eddy.
  • fulton
    I had OA, but had an op two years ago and thought I got rid of it. I am getting pain in my hands and feet every dad, so I'm expecting the worse than anything else is a bonus.

Who's Online

MissA
MissA
+9 Guests