HIAB27

Options
fulton
fulton Member Posts: 88
edited 30. Mar 2014, 15:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys, can anyone tell what HIAB27 is? I've tested positive to it.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • fulton
    Options
    Many thanks Elna
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Our Elna come to the rescue again,I had no idea what it was....so am going to read the link...
    Love
    Barbara
  • nonaproxin
    nonaproxin Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Causes of ankylosing spondylitis

The cause of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is not fully understood. However, a particular gene (unit of genetic material) has been identified that is closely linked to the condition.
    HLA-B27

Research has shown most people who have ankylosing spondylitis carry a particular gene known as human leukocyte antigen B27 (HLA-B27). Among people with ankylosing spondylitis, nine out of 10 have HLA-B27.

It is thought that having HLA-B27 may make having ankylosing spondylitis more likely. However, if you have the gene it does not necessarily mean you will also have the condition. It is estimated that 8 in 100 people in the general population have the HLA-B27 gene but do not have ankylosing spondylitis.

Testing for the gene is not a very reliable method of diagnosing ankylosing spondylitis because some people can have the HLA-B27 gene but not have ankylosing spondylitis, and there are different subtypes of HLA-B27.

I actually carry this gene, and have not got ANK SPON..But my Brother has, I however have got Osteoarthritis instead...which my Conslutant said it the better of the two to actually have....I don't agree with him today, as I am climbing the walls with it !!!

Regards,Eddy.
  • fulton
    Options
    I had OA, but had an op two years ago and thought I got rid of it. I am getting pain in my hands and feet every dad, so I'm expecting the worse than anything else is a bonus.