Woman cannot live by prednis-alone.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 29. Apr 2014, 17:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
But how I wish I could. In two days (and a mere 55mgs) my breathing has dramatically improved, the chest is much easier and - even better - my blasted legs are working far more normally. I happily walked from the bedroom to the kitchen (around 135') without a single wince or lurch, not realising the same until I was stirring my tea bag thoughtfully round the mug, trying to work out what felt different.

Hey-ho.

Another 25mgs today, then 20 tomorrow then stop. Enjoy it Daise, it ain't gonna last. :lol: DD

PS Teaspoon rinsed and left to air dry :wink:
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    :D:D:D Thankful for small blessings! Glad the chest is improving, and the bonus of working legs...... hope today is a good one in your world.

deb xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    :o Crikey! The pred's even loosened up the old brain cells. Great pun, DD :lol::lol:

Enjoy it while it lasts. Like you, I never quite get used to the sheer effortlessness of pred-life. You want to move something? You move it. Simple.

Simple? Movement? Surely not :?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Good to see the pred is helping, it is a pity there has got to be bad with the good :roll: hope you have a good day xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Wow! Isn't it weird how you use certain meds with another medication (pred in this example) helps with other symptoms in a positive way!! It's totally crazy but great!! May it carry on into the Easter Weekend!! :D
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Not really crazy at all, bubbadog. Steroids are used to treat lots of inflammatory and auto-immune conditions so it's no surprise that they help one while being prescribed for another.

On the other hand, some meds have just been found, by happy coincidence, to help conditions they weren't designed for. Hydroxy was originally an anti-malarial med. Piriton, though still used as an anti-histamine, has also proved helpful for children with ADHD. Thalidomide was a disaster when prescribed to ease morning sickness but is still useful for several other diseases.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Who knows, maybe they will find a medication that works in combination with pred so it can be used as a daily supplement......never say never
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm not using the pred in conjunction with much else - just the inhalers (which are steroid-based) and sulph ( an NSAID). I have always done well on oral pred but know it is not a long-term solution because it thins every tissue in the body, not just the inflamed ones. It never ceases to amaze me that, thanks to the power of advertising, how many people think Neurophen et al are targeted, i.e. they go straight to the 'source' of pain. Ye gods. :shock: Dolts. :shock:

Today has been a blast so I reckon that (in the words of Jazzy B) tomorrow may be 'Back to life, back to reality . . ' That decision depends on what happens at 4am tomorrow. 4am this morning was tough but not as tough as others I have known. DD
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    Its such a shame dd that the preds can work wonders for us and
    at same time do us no good long term.
    they play there part in our pain and helpsomewhat.
    and offer some help.
    maybe they prolong our suffering :?:
    mike26
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Spot on, mike26, that is their deceit. The 'con' of feeling better is how they seduce, but (luckily being an un-seducible woman of certain age :wink: ) I know better.

Today was good a good 'un (seeing as how it involved free movement plus better breathing) but so what? Neither the bad or the good things last, end of. I firmly believe in making the best of what one might have. :wink: DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I knew I had it wrong. :oops: Sulph is a DMARD. Je suis une twerp.

So, this morning I swallowed another five tablets with a smile on me chops. Their job is very nearly done, the coughing at 4am was improved on the previous night's but not improved enough to warrant stopping. :D DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    NSAID v DMARD. Yup, you got your initials in a twist there :wink:

You are in control and will sort this out without being led up the garden path to a viper's nest by the lovely/hateful pred. (Which I always envisage as a kind of handsome young Lothario / werewolf.)

I am very glad you slept better. (With Lothario :wink: )
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Yes, it is a lovely experience. Kind of like a Cinderella story where you have until a midnight hour until you turn back into your normal self.....

I'm not sure it's worth it; too depressing to find yourself normal again.
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Dear lord I'm away a few days n miss out on a near vampire/werewolf tale?? :shock: How very dare you :wink: My reading taste fit so well with our boudoir in Venice :lol:

I'm so sorry uve been unwell DD :( Asthma I take it?

I asked for a low, short course to aid with the trip but was told in no uncertain terms NO!!! I'd be at risk of another major unstable flare of Psoriasis. Doesn't it affect your skin?

I was happy to be seduced by pred prior to the Ustekinumab, now if the risk is a flare then no chance unless, like you, it's for my chest!!

How are ure other hurty, damaged parts?

((((Hugs))))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Pleased to read you have had an almost enjoyable day. Hope it lasts a bit longer.
    Fortuna
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Despite the 25mgs this morning the day progressed negatively thanks to a change in the weather. I suspect that tonight may be a rough one (I'm not planning it that way) but no matter; 'better' appears to be beyond me in any shape or form. :) DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    :( I've been coughing until I am sick. :( Phlegm is still being produced at the rate of knots but is now thicker and much harder to shift. I took 30mgs this morning (day 5) but if that doesn't sort matters then I suspect I'll be off to the walk-in centre tomorrow. Ye gods.

Easter is always a rough time, no matter when it falls. One memorable one was spent in bed, the whole four days, in a dark room with blinding headaches thanks to leflunomide. Last year was the last time I saw my Ma alive. This year is just miserable. This is one of the days when I wish I'd never been born, but as I was I guess I still have to make the best of it. I'll stay indoors, which will make a pleasant change. :| DD

PS In view of the wonderful rattles and rumbles which are emanating from my chest area I am considering changing my user name to ****-Ash Lil.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm rather glad you were born, ****-Ash Lil. ((((()))))
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    Options
    Oh gosh DD...... you are dealing with so much ...... :cry: . Really hope your chest settles down soon..I wonder whether that walk in centre visit would be better done today before an infection takes a good hold?

And you contribute so much to others on this site I and many others are very grateful that you're here to share your insight, experience and encouragement.

Hope things settle down soon.

Deb xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Morning all, ****-Ash Lil here, still coughing, spluttering, rattling, rumbling and wheezing away. I contemplated not taking the pred but, because we are going out tonight with some old friends for a curry, I've erred on the side of caution and swigged another 30mgs. I might do tomorrow as well but then that will be IT. The 4am's are easing so hopefully this malarkey is on its way out.

Dibdab? Gosh, what kind words, quite embarrassing in fact. :oops: I am genuinely interested in the folk on here, and I care; we're all up against it and if I can help with encouragement, support and the odd giggle here and there then I will. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Morning - whoops afternoon FAL. I'm glad the 4ams are easing. Meanwhile keep on swilling the pred and sucking in the inhalers. What a ever-varied med-life we lead, we who are allergic to the world we live in and even ourselves :roll: How boring healthiness must be! Just get up, breathe deeply and start the day. Where's the challenge in that :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Cough, cough, cough, cough, cough, cough, retch, cough, cough, cough, cough, retch, cough.

Isn't life great? :lol: I have resisted the pred lure so far, six days should have been enough but I may review that position after my breakfast croissants. DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    (((()))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I am not allowed to write what I would be saying in your situation :oops: but, if I could, it would go something on the lines of cough 'bilhooks', cough 'shoot', cough 'cloody hall fare', retch 'Oh for duck's sake' etc etc. I'm sure you are able to add the rest, in between the coughing and retching of course.

I hope it eases off soon. ((()))
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I don't think I can take much more of this, it's exhausting. :roll: I am no better but at least this is my second pred-free day so that might be a good thing. On the downside the phlegm is thickening and the joints are protesting. Hey-ho, onwards and backwards. :lol: DD
  • dibdab
    Options
    Just wondering whether you succumbed to the walk in centre-if the secretions are thickening there may be an infection there that needs treating before it gets worse.........here speaks the voice of "been there, done that, got the Tee shirt :? ". Last time I left it to wait and see I ended up in A&E for 4 hours on a nebuliser and oral steroids-most inconvenient on Christmas Eve - but seriously, I hope you start to feel better soon, life is absolute pants when your chest feels like there's an elephant sitting on it.

{{{{{ }}}}}}}
    Deb x