It's been a tough day.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 26. Jun 2014, 06:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
One would think that, after years of practise, I would know better but apparently I don't. :wink:

Yesterday was a busy, one way or another. I loaded and emptied the washing machine twice, did a substantial amount of ironing, changed the bed (in addition to asking Mr DD to help me turn the mattress) and then he hit his stride: he moved an armchair to another room and then we played 'sitting room furniture swap -around'. I was ordered (not told) to 'go and lie down and ring a friend' but, having dutifully tried (and on hearing the grunts and strong language) got up and went to help. My name is DD and I am a TWERP. :D

I'm dealing with the belting payback but not that well. I am aware that I am somewhat feeble and inessential but it hurt hearing the 'go away, you're no use' sub-text to his message: or maybe I was being over-sensitive. I know this, however: my joints are hurting more than usual. Time for the big guns, methinks, and I am pleased that they are there. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DD
    As I was once told.......practice what you preach :lol::lol:
    You have got a lot done..... think about that...I'm sure when the pain eases you will feel the satisfaction.
    I'm in the same boat except I didn't get any housework done :o
    I went to Scarborough on a coach trip with Arthritis Care......we walked and walked and walked. We had separated up and the other girl I was with couldn't walk very far very fast so we stuck together....I dread to think what the others feel like today :wink:
    We stopped for coffee and sat and watched the world go by but I'm still very sore....so like you say......some extra meds that are there to be taken.
    Just going to get a drink now to take them
    We'll live
    Love
    Hileena
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oh DD, it's like we suffer from selective amnesia at times like this, yes? I'm also having a payback episode after a full-on day yesterday. However, I try to re-frame it (psychobabble concept). Instead of telling myself off for doing too much, (even though I know I did do too much) I congratulate myself on achieving what I did. I recognise that I must have been vaguely ok to even get out of bed in the first place yesterday and recognise that there are days when I wouldn't have been able to leave the house, let alone go out. Today, I am just letting it be; resting, relaxing, catching up on TV, snuggling in my fresh sheets and knowing that it will ease off eventually.

I don't think you're a twerp, I think you are a human being. :wink: Be kind to yourself and take it easy.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you Charisse, Hileena and Starburst, for taking the time to answer my self-pitying moan. All is fundamentally well (we've just shared a lovely cuddle) and I am sure that my leg joints will be feeling better tomorrow: :lol:

You think you're doing OK and then the rug is pulled - yet again - from under your feet.

Arthritis.

It's a belligerent so-and-so.

DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD..like Hileena says we never do what we preach but its called not giving in...still blinking painful though so now you must rest till next you did well girl..and got a cuddle aww xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I think most of us 'know better'. It's just that we're very adept at overriding ourselves.

You know the drill better than most. Off you go and do sweet Fanny Adams for the rest of the day :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I'm exhausted just reading that list of everything you did yesterday!
    It's so easy to just do "one thing more", the trouble is that usually leads to another one more thing and then another!

Feel proud of what you did and enjoy a well earned rest and maybe a glass of something?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Call that a moan c'mon DD I'm sure you can do better than that :D yes men can be as sensitive as a sledge hammer at times I think they must have an extra gene :lol: at least he mended it with a lovely embracing cuddle :wink: I hope the big guns have kicked in by now and you are sitting with your feet up relaxing...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Morning DD,

I hope your night wasn't too uncomfortable?

I see no point in saying a word about ure antics ... You know them already :wink::lol: I do hope, however, that you'll be sensible today & spend it resting only!!

(((Hugs)))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The night was grim, as was the night before but no matter. I've been awake since 3.30 but laid there happily reading my Kindle. I've now lurched to the kitchen and my breakfast eggs are boiling away and after eating those I think I will lurch back to the pit in case I can doze. If not then there's more laundry, ironing and other general housework dross to keep me occupied but, I suspect, I shall spend most of my morning on the 'phone speaking to friends. :wink: DD
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hi DD
    Hope it eases off soon and enjoy your morning talking to friends :)
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    If not then there's more laundry, ironing and other general housework dross to keep me occupied

:o :shock: :roll:
    Get a grip, woman, preferably on the duvet :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,925
    Options
    Hello DD
    we want to do the things but our bodies cannot do it at the speed our brains want us to do them.
    i hope you dont think of moving the furniture back.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    Hi DD,

Just read your post. Hope you are feeling better today and you've had a relaxing day :)

Hope the sunshine has made you feel better too :)

Take care
    Sarah x
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    I also have just seen your post. DD you'd be the first to tell us to "know when to stop". Hope today has been more relaxing and that maybe tonight will see decent hours of sleep.
    Fortuna
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Morning DD
    How's things today.........did you have a better night last night?
    Hope today is a bit better.

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm pleased to report it was another grim night thanks to the heat of yesterday (my PsA is grumbling merrily away at the moment) but no matter, 'tis life with arthritis. I managed to ignore the domestic dross (thanks to the phone and Wimbledon) which means it's still waiting to be dealt with. :) We are having scaffolding delivered this afternoon (the garage is due to be re-roofed on Wednesday) plus on Wednesday someone is coming in to replace seven radiators; I would prefer to be in on both occasions so I can domestic-dross then.

I am going to treat myself this morning, I am going to buy a new ring. I flaming well deserve it. DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Well done on ignoring the domestic dross! You definitely deserve a treat/reward for your hard work at the weekend. Hope you start to feel better soon and get back to being "moderately grotty".
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Can't wait for a description of the ring when you find it. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've found it - it's waiting for me at the jewellers. 8) I shall also be shelling out for the garage roof and radiators but they are dull things. DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Did you have it made ? Or was it there calling out to you . Mig
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I hope you have your new ring now, and it has the desired effect on you :D
    ((((()))))
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have and it's lovely. I have, however, inadvertantly made things considerably worse by trying on a pair of shoes (and walking the sum total of eight paces) not realising they were Fit Flops. :(

My knees are agony. Je suis une twerp. :oops: DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Enough already DD! That's twice in the same thread you've called yourself a twerp - say it often enough and you'll come to believe it. You are human therefore fallible, and make mistakes, that doesn't make you a twerp.
    'go away, you're no use' sub-text to his message: or maybe I was being over-sensitive.
    Quite possibly,but I suspect the subtext was more likely along the lines of 'please don't get involved, the consequences are not pleasant for either of us'
    As for the Fit Flops it reminded me a bit of the classic scenario - woman walks into room and bumps into a chair left in the way and says 'silly me not looking where I'm going', man walks in, bumps into chair and says'what idiot left that in the way' - so those unsuitable shoes shouldn't have been put where you could try them on should they?
    And I don't know about you but I find the payback for things seems much worse when the cause is domestic dross or similar...
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Wise words as ever from you, Daffy, and thank you. I'm not scared to admit it, I am finding life difficult and have been for some time but hopefully things will soon be under something resembling control and the OA can come back to the fore - that will be a welcome relief. I must not to try and keep up with my healthy husband but I am also aware that he is not as young as he used to be and is gently declining on the physical front; also the prospect of lying next door and hearing the swearing was not conducive to rest. :wink:

Overall I reckon I do OK and I must tell myself that more often, yes? DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Overall I reckon I do OK and I must tell myself that more often, yes? DD

Or, maybe we should tell you it more. (You can't ignore all of us :wink: )
    Steven Wright