feeling so down

Options
celebrationb
celebrationb Member Posts: 134
edited 29. Aug 2014, 17:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am going through a down stage with my oa/fermol nerve in my knee. It is getting me down because it always sore and swellon. My doc said just stay on the tablets. I have not been to my club Jitsue now for a while and wondering what the point is now. The walking about and other exerise is good. As you all know i dont do much then anyway.
Good news that my daughter got engaged but it has not helped.
I am feeling very low and i know i have the family behind me but feel so alone. :(:(:(:(
I am walking with a stick now which helps, but feel that its oa won the battle and i lost. Thought i could fight this but not now.
Soooo down. My fight has gone (sounds silly as am a black belt in ju jitsue) I thought i could. :(
Sorry for moaning again just no way else to go.
Feel as if no one cares/ or wants to care, they are all in their own world of themselves.
Its seems that its not just the oa just eveything at home, atmosphere, atttitudes, cheeky, etc :(
Just want to say thank you for being there.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh lordy, you do sound low and no wonder. I've been like that too, with swollen, stiff and very sore joints and yes, the pain goes on and on and on. I think it may be time for you to go and see your GP, yes? Please tell him / her how low you are because they may be able to help. Arthritis not only affects us, it affects those around us because they want to help but cannot. It's not easy, we all know that. Take care and be kind to yourself. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Celebrationb, I'm sorry, I thought I'd replied to you some time ago but clearly not. You really are feeling low right now, aren't you? I think maybe it's just hit you that arthritis really is for life and some things do have to be given up. That's the bad news.

The good news is that, as long as we remain flexible in our attitude, we can find things to enjoy in the state we must be in. I don't want to come over all Pollyannaish but there are some pleasures in life that I'd never have discovered if I hadn't had to give up others and learn to live in the slow lane.

However, I think right now you sound too far down for such adjustments. Why not ask your GP for a short course of anti-depressants? Changing one's lifestyle requires mental energy and you don't sound to have much of that right now.

I suggest you re-post this on Living With Arthritis. You seem to have inadvertently posted on the wrong forum. I'm sure others will want to encourage and sympathise once they see it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Moved
    This thread has been moved from the Say Hello forum as it is more appropriate in the Living With Arthritis Forum.
    Best wishes
    Mod B
  • celebrationb
    Options
    Sorry it was in wrong thread. Thank you for replies . Just feeling low
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How are things today? Have you thought of seeing the doc?
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are feeling so low. It is hard coming to terms with the fact that Arthritis is for life and it is also hard, sometimes harder for those around us. Only yesterday my hubby asked why the GP couldn't give me something to make me better! I'm quite new to this only having been diagnosed a year ago and I have had to make several changes. It is hard, I see it as going through a type of grieving process, and like all grief it is an up and down path.
    There is a very good story called going to Holland which was written for parents of SEN children but which I think fits quite well. None of us want to be on this forum, and it does mean making changes and we will always wish we weren't here. But we are here and have to make the best of it. One thing I have found is that while some friends can't cope and drop out I have a lot more really good friends who are there for me in good days and bad days than I realised. I would go to your GP and talk about how you are feeling emotionally as well as physically and take advice, and remember we are here for you. Have you tried phoning the helpline to talk through how you are feeling? I did that when going through a bad patch and it really helped.

http://www.our-kids.org/archives/Holland.html

Hi Slosh
    The link above doesn't appear to work - the web site might be offline. Would you like me to remove it?

Update 8:20pm
    Link now works.
    Mod B
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • celebrationb
    Options
    Thank you all yes still feeling down. I am on anti depression for my fermol nerve to relax them.
    Slosh i was told nov last year, i thought i could fight it but learnt the hard way. Although i dont have close friend who i see much but even my brother/sisters feel as if they dont care. My family will the atmosphere at the moment to to other resons is not good. but thats another story. I am still working in a business and have been making changes.
    Maybe am worried about what the future going to be.
    I really dont know why am feel like this.
  • Slosh
    Options
    One of my meds is also used as an antidepressant but for pain relief the dosage is smaller than when used for depression so wouldn't help with that. I think that like me you're still in the early stages of learning to live with Arthritis. I was in denial for a long time, still am at times and sometimes feel angry as well as sad. Some of my family are finding it hard to cope with and I know how hurtful that can be. Don't beat yourself up for feeling like this, it's natural. I still get frightened about what the future might hold sometimes and so try my best just to take each day as it comes.

From what you say, or don't say it sounds as though Arthritis is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what you are having to deal with.

Talk to your GP, use this forum and the helpline, and another agency who are great for when you are feeling low and need to talk are the Samaritains, you don't have to be feeling suicidal to call them, I have used their service in the past when I was going through rough times and needed to talk, especially when it was the middle of the night.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • celebrationb
    Options
    Thank you i may do that. just having someone here helps
  • stickywicket
    Options
    We are here for you but I think Slosh is right and, right now, you may require a bit more than us and the mild anti-deps. When we are very low it does feel as if no-one cares and the future does seem very bleak. But partly that just because of our own state of mind.

Talk to someone in depth, celebrationb, whether our own Helpline people or your GP. We have quite enough pain that we can't get rid of. It's pointless to shoulder extra pain that we can.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I just wanted to add my support to your thread.

I loved Ju Jitsu.. Only went a few times but I know that had I been healthy I would have carried on with it.

Hope today is a little brighter for ya.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello celebrationb
    Don't you ever feel alone an this forum...we are always here to listen and add support..I am with slosh maybe you need to see your gp and tell them what you are telling us, you might just need some extra help to get you through this bad patch...I needed ADs a few years ago now I was training to be a fitness instructor at my local Gym when arthritis struck, I couldn't get my head round not being able to train...but now 4 years on I am exercising what I can ..at home may I add..but things are feeling brighter I have learned not to give in to it.
    Of course you are worried about the future its the unknown..but hopefully you will get that knee sorted and things will be much better for you..I am glad you are talking to us it really will help..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm eighteen years in with this malarkey so you would think I'd be better at getting on with things: usually I am but every now again it proves to be too much and I wilt under the pressure.

We all do.

There is only so much your family can do (and it's not much), that we can do (because we understand) and that your GP can do: he can help but a great deal of this comes down to us. You are still in the very early days of adjusting and learning so don't be so hard on yourself. Ask for and take the help you need, yes? DD
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    I would agree with others that talking things over with your GP is a really good idea and, as DD says, you mustn't be hard on yourself because you need that help. Just bear in mind that you're not alone. I hope that things soon improve for you and do let us know how you get on. Take care.

Meg
  • barbara12
    Options
    Sorry I read back again ans see you are on ADs... I am on a low does of amitriptylines to help me sleep, but you might need an higher does to help you through this...but again talking is a good release...I do wish you well..
    Love
    Barbara
  • celebrationb
    Options
    Thank you all . I will get another appointment with doc and emailed for the local arthritis for the courses. .
    Walking with stick which I hope it help. I will talking my hubby this weekend.
    Thank u
  • barbara12
    Options
    Thank you all . I will get another appointment with doc and emailed for the local arthritis for the courses. .
    Walking with stick which I hope it help. I will talking my hubby this weekend.
    Thank u
    We will get you there between us..or maybe half the way...wishing you well
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    We will be here for you when we can @:-)
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How's thing today, celebrationb?
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    Options
    Same here..just wondering how you are doing..we do worry about one another xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • celebrationb
    Options
    I am feeling OK, knee is very sore, but after we did a delivery today went at got and ice cream and also sat in the car as it was raining at local beaches relaxing. Hubby making dinner tonight.
    Feeling a bit better so glad I can be on this forum. I'll phone doctor on Mon . I know my hubby worried he keeps ask am I OK so going to talk to him soon
  • stickywicket
    Options
    In my long :) experience of marriage, when husbands ask if you're OK it's because they're fairly sure you're not. Next time he asks tell him, celebrationb. Or before if the time is right. Otherwise he might feel shut out.

I'm glad today's a little better but I suspect much of it is just you putting a brave face on. One ice cream doesn't really change much, does it :wink: I'm glad you'll be contacting the doc.
    Steven Wright
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Slosh, I thought the going to Holland story was brilliant and very apt for anyone struggling with a chronic condition. Thanks, Deb x
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks for that Debs. I knew of it for a long time through my professional role and thought it was very good. I must admit I never thought it would come to have a personal relevance.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    We're a few days on, celebrationb, how are things now? DD