Squashed vertebra

CatLady1
CatLady1 Member Posts: 64
edited 5. Aug 2014, 06:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all
I wondered if anyone has had any personal experience of squashed vertebra. I had an x-ray on my thoratic spine and this showed two vertebra were squashed. I am booked into have a DEXA scan on Monday and there will be an MRI appointment coming as and when. I am apprehensive about the outcome of this, but am keeping very positive. I have OA, low back pain, cervical spondyolis and fibromyalgia (spellings may be bad) and can cope with pain but this is came as a shock.
Any ideas or comments would be very welcome. Gentle hugs Chris

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've no experience of this, Chris, but I do hope all goes well for you :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    So Sorry your suffering Chris, hope everything goes well for you.
  • AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36
    Sorry Chris, no personal experience here. But squashed vertebra is likely to be present, especially if you are someone who is likely to have osteoporosis. And that is the reason I understand, you are booked for DEXA, one of the major diagnostic tests of bone mineral density for OP :) . This is quite quick and painless and uses a very small dose of X-rays.
    Your overall treatment may include medications to relieve pain and improve bone density.
    If OP is a culprit, doc may prescribe you vitamin D and calcium supplements and other bone strengthening drugs. This is a critical part in order to avoid future fractures :wink: . Take regular exercise such as walking and weight bearing exercise. If rare cases, doc may recommend a surgical option.

Get well soon!!!
    Amanda.
  • CatLady1
    Thank you for your replies, off for a DEXA scan this afternoon and have an appointment for an MRI scan at the end of the month. Just hope its not Osteoporosis, but then again I will cope with it positively as I have my other conditions over the years.
    Chris

Keep smiling, Keep positive. :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Of course you will cope. You sound to have the right, positive attitude :) I hope it's not osteoporosis but there are quite a few of us on here with it so you will have plenty of support if it is.

I think, at first, new diagnoses seem very unfair and we rail against them but, after a while, we just add 'em to the list and carry on :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • CatLady1
    Thanks Stickey
    Add another condition to the pot, really what difference can it make. Probably more tablets to take and just get on with life.
    I smile and keep positive and get on with my life. I know where to come to get any support I need - this forum is full of lovely people.
    _____

Keep smiling Keep positive