Taken myself by surprise.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 8. Aug 2014, 05:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
And I have. I went to the dentist today and had one of those surprising appointments; surprising because what I was expecting to happen (and did) was nowt and because what I had written off as not such a big thing has proved to be the opposite. :shock:

I then, because I was on the right side of town, wandered off to a small, independent scooter sales place to begin my investigations. In the end, dear reader, I tried a medium-sized standard scooter and was horrified on four fronts: it was too small for my no-longer-as-tall-as-it-used-to-be frame, it was woeful on the ankles, harsh on the sacros , had a range of around five miles and was terrifyingly fast at 4mph (I wold get used to that) . :lol:

I then sat in another one, an utter beast, the scooter equivalent of a four-wheeled drive Land Rover. DD found her natural niche viz. a wide, squashy, well-suspended seat (a seat that could be adjusted for depth as well as height), adjustable steering, two wing mirrors, a range of thrity miles, yadda yadda yadda. When I mentioned our drive ( a long, gravelled effort) I was told that a 'normal' scooter wouldn't be able to cope with it, and looking at them I can see why. The upshot is that they will bring this machine round to mine so I can try it out - if I can get from the house to the road I'm on a winner. :wink:

The surprise, however, was this. I saw two examples of light-weight, collapsible wheelchairs and tried both. The first one was a push-only model , with a flat seat, and was OK. The second was both push and self-propel, both operators had a set of brakes, the seat was cushioned and the arms lift for ease of access. Whilst I was considering (OK, read dithering :wink: ) a couple of other customers came in so I told the chaps to deal with them whilst I pondered. They did and I realised that they knew their stuff and would not rip people off so . . . . .

In Beatrice's boot resides a Z-Tec Deluxe Folding Aluminium wheelchair. This will begin life as a rollator but, when that gets too much, I can then sit and propel myself (which may take some practice). Eventually Mr DD can take over as and when required. The scooter will happen but, currently, DD has found a half-way house.

Now to tell the Husband. One of us is far better at adjusting to 'needs must' than the other. Needless to say it ain't him: for some unknown reason he persists in thinking that things will get better. :roll: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    So glad you found something that suits you and what you need at the moment. It can't have been easy coming to this decision, and I hope Mr DD understands why you have done this and that he is able to see the benefits for both of you. It's also good that you found a stockist that you feel able to trust. Hope you get good use from your purchase.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I think I can safely say that not many people go to the dentist and come home with a wheelchair :wink:

Well done, DD! Facing up to our increasing limitations and taking control of them is a must if we are to be happy arthritics. This will help you achieve so much more with or without the scooter.

I expect Mr DD will wonder why you need it :roll: but that's blokes for you. I'm sure he'll enjoy all the things you'll now be able to do together again.

I'm dead chuffed for you :D:D:D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I'm with Sticky - how many people come home from the dentist with a wheelchair?! I'm glad you have found some wheels and I hope they give you some freedom from arthritis. I hope Mr DD understands and appreciates how incredibly brave, practical and sensible his wife is in taking this rather large step (or wheel) into adapting to changing needs.
    Way to go DD.. One question - colour/blinginess? There's always stickers.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I'm really mixed up these days....things have been mad with hospital appts doctor appts etc
    I answered your other scooter one and then I find this LOL
    I didn't want a wheelchair.....I thought disabled....the way you thought about my scooter a while back :lol:
    If you have the strength to propel it at least you will be more independent if you go out on your own.
    I have to use my crutches if I'm not anywhere near a shopmobility place that hires them because I couldn't put it in my boot by myself
    Enjoy it
    Love
    Hileena
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/pict/320907190552_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=2&_nkw=wheelchair+leg+rests&_dmpt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET&h=225&w=204&tbnid=5q_OxCzn0-zWYM:&zoom=1&docid=7RqTH-tHEkOGAM&itg=1&hl=en-GB&ei=wVfhU8_aDe_n7AatmYDYDw&tbm=isch&ved=0CFoQMygzMDM

I am definitely with the others... Well done hun :wink:
    May I recommend a pair of leg extensions. I couldn't sit comfortably in mine as mi knees are knackered, so I bought a pair of extensions. They are fully adjustable to the height required and have calf supports. Mine were sixty quid :shock: The same price I paid for the wheelchair :o I do think I got a bargain with that though.. It was a fully reconditioned one in great order.
    I hope that the link to the photo works to give you an idea of what I mean..

Tons of YBH's for the brave girl :wink: xxxx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, one and all, for your kind messages of support and encouragement, they are much appreciated. To be honest the thought processes involved were not that complicated, I'd already had some practise at thinking these thoughts when I bought my first rollator (my Mum paid me back and refused to entertain the idea of getting one for herself :roll: ) and that proved to be an absolute boon. I am sure my new purchase will also prove to be the same, I'm going to put it together today and practise round the house. :wink: I am not thinking about being disabled, rather it's more a case of my being enabled. DD

PS Thank you tjt, I shall investigate that because my knees are hurting more than usual this morning.
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Well done from me too , DD , my first wheelchair was a revelation as I was once again able to go out for more than a few minutes . I'm also able to go to theatre plays , concerts and shows which papasmurf and I love to do , ( it's our only vice ! ) . Only thing I would say though is to brush up on your witty responses and rejoinders for when strangers treat you as an imbecilic or a 2 year old . A recent example for us was in the supermarket ; a pleasant looking couple patted me on the shoulder ( which made me want to wince as it's flaring ) , looked in our wire basket and said , " oh look you're buying prawns , does she like prawns then ? " Hubby replied for me as they expected , " no idea , I don't speak to her either ! "
    mamasmurf
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol: I love your husband :D
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Same here. Some people are wonderful! Was out yesterday, riding in an eletric scooter. I was coming out of a corridor which wasn't that wide and a woman on crutches who was coming the other way, moved back into an alcove to let me pass. As I thanked her and went to go past two children, about 6 and 8 ran past us, closely followed by their Father. The woman and I just looked at each other, my daughter was slightly more vocal with what she thought of his manners.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Aren't some people idiots :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    When ever I go out looking for something new I say to myself right today is going to have a look what is available and write the prices down and can come home and compare. That hardly ever happens! It's usually I find something I love and get it! Glad you found something that ticks all the boxes for you. My OH is made out the same mould as your OH he's still in the frame of mind that one day I will miraculously get better even though he was with me when I got diagnosed. It's hard at this moment because my G.P and I are discussing stairlifts as I'm finding going upstairs really hard and it's like he is tuned into another listening channel as he just thinks it pointless as I'll be better soon!!
  • Slosh
    Options
    Think a lot of us have husbands who think the same thing, mine asked me the other week why the doctors couldn't just give me something to make me better! Hope he starts to get the message and give you some support soon.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    For once he came home early (I managed to make the bed whilst he was sorting himself out :wink: ) so I told him we needed a talk, that it was about a serious matter, and would he like a cup of tea?

Tea made, we sat down and I explained my reasoning behind my new purchase. He was in total agreement that if it is going to make my life easier / better / more comfortable then it was a good thing. We then went out and had a solemn look at the contents of Bea's boot. Hermione was lying there in bits (oh how I know that feeling :lol: ) and she will be put together on Friday: Mr DD has the day off so we will go for a trial spin. Look out! :D

I also showed him the Behemoth (my possible new mobility scooter). It's the biggest Bovril of them all (thanks to Peter Ustinov for that reference), bigger than the one I sat on in the showroom, with a potential 35 mile journey distance. More than enough for yours truly but it should be man enough to cope with the gravelled drive. He immediately said we would get that tarmacked but I said no because I like the security it offers: I can hear people crunching up to the house. DD
  • Slosh
    Options
    Well done, sounds as though it went well. Hope the trial trip on Friday goes well, I'm sure it will.
    It's amazing what you can achieve over a cup of tea.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have made another decision - I am getting Hermione out today and will put her together because I will usually be the one doing this. I will then practise going round the house (it is wheelchair-friendly because the couple who lived here for thirty years before 2009 were both disabled and chair-bound) so I get an ideas of how things will be. Of course it will be on smooth floors and carpet, not the rough-and-tumble of the average pavement. :wink: DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hey, go for it! That sounds a fun day :D One word of caution - pavements and roads are much more wheelchair friendly than carpets so stick to the non-carpeted bits if you can. I used mine in the house when I'd (unknowingly :oops: ) broken my hip. It worked well though the washing machine was covered in bits of red paint afterwards :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    First technical hitch: I cannot properly attach the right wheel. I remember the bloke in the shop having a right struggle to remove it so Hermione could go in the boot - I guess because it's new it would be stiff. Never mind, I have Bruce coming this afternoon to finish off some bits in the shower rooms so I'm sure he'll be able to sort it out for me - and knowing him as I do he'll be wanting to take me for a spin round the garden! DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Get the lovely Bruce to check carefully. If the man in the shop struggled maybe something has got banged out of shape a bit between manufacturer and customer.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I see Bruce as something off a diet coke ad. I hope he is, if not at least he is lovely and helpful - if he minds it then do let him take a spin it will be a good test drive to check it's properly mended, much better if the wheel falls off on him and not you.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I hope super Bruce manages to get things sorted. I, unlike LV do not picture him like a diet coke advert. :lol: I reckon he has a beer belly.Sorry LV. . Did I ruin the image :?: :wink:

Best of luck DD. .
    xxxx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The lovely Bruce is a trim bloke, about 6' tall, who is just about to turn 50. He is very tanned, possesses an impressive array of tattoos and is one of those always-cheerful-will-help-anyone-in-any-way kinda blokes. He was my constant companion for nine hours a day for a fortnight when he was doing the shower rooms and it was bliss having him around. DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    you lucky moo. :mrgreen: Mig
  • Slosh
    Options
    Can only agree, he sounds like a dream
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I sorted it all my myself whilst Bruce looked on. :D I gave up too easily, that was the trouble. :oops: I have squeaked my way round the wooden floor in the kitchen, I am now going to attempt to move myself into the sitting room to watch the remains of Bargain Hunt. DD
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Tell Bruce I am full of apologies lol

tattoos you say?? Sounds like a real ruffian :wink::lol::lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP