RESULTS OF VISIT TO CONSULTANT

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 22. Oct 2014, 05:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I've tried twice since I came in. Once to reply to your messages and once to start a new one and both came back as flagged as spam and denied :shock: :shock: Lets try again. :x

Result of aspiration.....no infection :D

Result of X Ray of L Ankle....OA {as we knew} but because it was getting sorer he X Rayed it again to check the metal work that is in it. Its fine....nothing moved, just OA playing up :D

The fracture......he showed me the X Ray and the bit that has broken off {to use his words} is as far from the moon to the earth so no way will it heal. :( Bones need to knit together and there is no chance of that}. I will always have a dip. May be able to eventually use one crutch but that's the best.
He wanted to know where the pain was worse. When he found it he then gave me a cortisone injection with
local anaesthetic
He says it will probably be sorer before it gets better {if the injection works} I had it at 11.30am and its now almost 5.30pm and is getting slightly sore now.{local wearing off I suppose}
He said don't be depressed, it will be sore when the local wears off but if the injection works it should ease the pain. He wants to see me in 6 weeks time. If it has worked he will do another one.
I know lots of people have had them and they haven't worked but I will believe it is working until I find out otherwise :lol:

So my attitude is......if I can have a fracture {that isn't going to heal} pain free or almost pain free, I'll cope with the crutches even if they are a nuisance
Well I think that's about all that was said.
Love
Hileena

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh. That's a right Curate's Egg of an appointment and no mistake. I am so sorry that the fracture will not be healing as we would like, and that you will be left needing an aid, that is so unfair. :( I guess the ankle is doing what OA-affected ankles do and I empathise, it's utterly miserable. :( On the other hand, there's no infection - :D - but that is a very small crumb of comfort, I realise that. ((( ))) x DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Sorry to hear it wasn't more positive in terms of the fracture, I do hope the injection helps, you deserve some luck!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Well, I'm glad there was no infection found, after the aspiration, but that's about the only ray of sunshine!! I suppose you at least know exactly where you stand. The steroid injections work better if you can rest the joint for 48 hours, so put your feet up if you can.

Love, Tezz x
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Hi again Hileena,

Well, I hope there were plenty of my biscuits left after this appointment, as it sounds like you earned a strong cup of tea and a bit of a treat! :D

As the others note, good news about the lack of infection – and good that there's no new problems with your left ankle, though I hope the soreness subsides soon, of course. It's not such good news about the fracture, but you sound like you're coping already and hopefully the injection will help. I've got my toes crossed for you :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • hileena111
    Hi DD
    It is a mixture of an appointment. Mostly good news....just the bit about the fracture. If I can get it a bit less painful {not painless :lol: I'm not daft} I'll be happy.
    I'll be onto you for hints and tips about these stupid crutches sometimes :lol:
    Glad I got myself pink and black ones instead of boring grey NHS ones
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Hi Slosh
    Hopefully the injection will work.
    Up to now {8 and a half hours} its been fine
    We'll see
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Hi Tezz
    Like you say, at least I know where I stand now. He knows I like straight answers and not waffle. Now I can think about dealing with it

Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Hi Phee
    Yes thanks ...plenty of biscuits left......not now :lol:
    You be careful of your toes :lol:
    Hopefully the pain will ease a bit

Love
    Hileena
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Not the best of news but I love your positive attitude and optimistic ways (((((())))))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • hileena111
    Hi LV
    Thanks for that
    I don't doubt there will be days when I almost scream with frustration but on the whole I intend to manage it :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Aw, dear Hileena, I am so sorry. You do keep very upbeat though. You are a shining example to us all. I totally agree with LV. I so admire how you take it all in your stride. Obvously you must have your dark moments which is only natural but you never appear to dwell on them for long.

Love and gentle hugs to you

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Slosh
    Have to agree, however much you might have been expecting to hear that about your brake, hearing news like that is never easy. Hope you have planned some treats for yourself this weekend, you deserve it.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Definitely no chicken :wink: I hope the steroid jab works. They do for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi Elna, Slosh and SW
    Well.....I will have down days.....might come on here moaning :lol:
    Sticky I'm glad the steroid jabs work for you....where? I've heard very few people saying that....most say that they don't work for them.....But I know we are all different. Its now 10.45pm and I was told that it would get sorer when the local wore off but the pain is hardly there at the moement. Well see what tomorrow brings. :wink:
    Well tomorrow.....taking myself off to the Metro Centre {on a hired scooter} I'll spend as long as I feel like there. I will have driven there so can come home when I feel like it. Not dependent on a lift thank goodness. Whether I buy anything or not I don't know......but I'll do plenty of browsing.
    Love
    Hileena
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Pleased that there was no infection, Hileena. But sorry, to hear about the rest of it, though. I do hope that the injection works for you and your pain is relieved. Take care ((()))

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm not sure what I can tell you apart from the fact they should be used for balance and stability rather than supporting one's whole weight. I count myself very fortunate in that I was taught by an experienced physio, when I was 42 and with only one affected joint. One's blessings can be peculiar. :? :oops: DD
  • hileena111
    Hi Meg
    Well we'll see what the injection does.....it might help a bit :wink:

DD.....I'll sort myself out.....its just what on earth do you do with stupid crutches when you are trying to cook or do housework.
    Don't forget....{its a long time ago}.....who told me how to walk properly on crutches :lol: even though it was online LOL
    You probably don't even remember.....it was to do with my scoliosis when I was walking long distances eg 3 to 4 hours around the Metro Centre.....that's the only time I needed them then
    Love
    Hileena
  • Slosh
    Hope the retail therapy goes well.
    Julian of Norwich
  • phoenixoxo
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Phee
    Yes thanks ...plenty of biscuits left......not now :lol:
    You be careful of your toes :lol:
    Hopefully the pain will ease a bit

Love
    Hileena

Hi Hileena,

I'm glad you finished the biscuits :lol:

Thanks for the concern about my toes. They're peculiarly nimble compared to the rest of me and have been no trouble... yet :?

I hope you had an enjoyable outing to the Metro :)

Love,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • hileena111
    Hi Phee
    Yes I enjoyed the rest of the biscuits....I needed something like that after the appointment :lol:
    Went to the Metro yesterday and hired a scooter because I wanted to do a bit of shopping and its not easy to carry shopping round a shopping centre when you are on two crutches :lol:
    I also wanted to relax a bit
    Today {Sun} the family coming for lunch. I was doing things that Peter said I shouldn't be doing.....bending and doing low things which do hurt my back so eventually he kicked me out and said go to the Metro for a while. He's the cook in the house most of the time so he was doing lunch.
    It doesn't open until 11am on a Sunday and the kids were coming about 12.30 to 1pm......So I went in at 10.30am....Had a long walk round {no shopping :lol: } just trying to get my posture right with the crutches and this fracture and get a bit of exercise.......much better doing it on the flat and indoors in weather like this. 15 mins drive gets me there
    Of course Starbucks halfway through :wink: had to have a break LOL
    Love
    Eileen
  • dreamdaisy
    Peter sounds to be a rather wise man, I'm pleased he kicked you out and congratulations on the shopping trip, it's always a pleasant way to get some exercise. :wink:

Right, move over Mrs Beaton, here comes DD's practical tips on housekeeping. I do my food prep sitting down, which is easier in the new house than the old because the kitchen is big enough for a table. I cook with a chair close by so I can sit and rest when things are festering nicely but washing up is harder because the sink is slightly higher than our old one so I have to stand for that. Mind you, my JosephJoseph draining bowl is fantastic, you just twist the plug in the bottom and the water drains away, catching the inevitable bits so that makes cleaning easier - and no more lifting, tipping and spilling water everywhere thanks to cranky wrists. We have a dishwasher but I am so unused to having one it only comes into play on high days and holidays.

The biggest boon I have is my new cordless vacuum cleaner. I can vac the entire ground floor in around ten minutes, one-handed, adjusting the power levels as I go and still hold a crutch (or a cuppa, or a glass of chilled grape juice) in the other. I iron sitting down but mostly his stuff, for my wardrobe I iron the things that demand it but ignore Tshirts, nightwear and bedding - all of that is going to get creased regardless so why bother? On-line grocery shopping has also saved me a great deal of energy, it means that fit and healthy blokes stroll in with my shopping which saves me a huge amount of effort with driving, shoving a trolley, unloading, packing and paying, loading the car, driving, unloading and walking back and forth with just one or two bags at a time. The biggest tip is do a little, rest a little, do a little more etc. etc. etc. That preserves our energy levels, reduces pain and leaves us time to do the things we want to do. I know you are very active with Avon and your AC work, I am basically indolent (though the forty or so affected joints play a major part in that). I also have crutches and sticks all over the house so I always have one to hand if suddenly required. DD
  • Slosh
    Some really useful tips there DD, sure you won't mind if I pinch a few! I have a very small kitchen but I am thinking about getting some kind of stool to use in there.
    Going to keep quiet about the vacuum though as currently my OH does that.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh Hileena what a mixed bag..even when you are expecting it ..its still a shock to be told by the consultant, at least he was honest with you ,
    The blinking crutches are a pain, but knowing you it wont hold you back, :)((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    Hi All
    Thank you for your good wishes and Slosh I'm sure DD wont mind if you pinch some of the ideas :lol:
    Thanks for the tips DD......I have problems with polishing dusting etc if its low or high....can just do middle bits otherwise my back plays up....I know I can dust with a long handled duster but polish? Sometimes it does need it :lol:
    I've got a smallish kitchen but a small table in it and a perch stool if needed.
    I lower the ironing board and sit on the perch stool and do a couple of things at a time. Like you.....as little as possible.
    Like Slosh....OH does the vac so very lucky there.
    There are some times I need to....even if its only a quick swipe over in between a proper vac. I've forgotten what it is to do that :lol: Its a very heavy Dyson cleaner.
    My Avon only works now with Peter helping. Can you imagine....crutches in the car, drive to a house, crutches out of the car or one crutch even....their goods/book/purse etc carried someway get the moeney deliver the goods and back to the car, crutches back in etc. drive to the next house.
    Pretty nigh impossible.
    Peter does the driving and leg work. I sit in the passenger seat, sort goods, do paperwork as we go, hand him everything he needs as he gets out. Do the admin and computer work at home.
    Otherwise I couldn't do it anymore {after 35 years I would miss it}
    The AC work I enjoy doing so that not a problem really.
    Thanks for all the tips
    Love
    Eileen
  • phoenixoxo
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Phee
    Yes I enjoyed the rest of the biscuits....I needed something like that after the appointment :lol:
    Went to the Metro yesterday and hired a scooter because I wanted to do a bit of shopping and its not easy to carry shopping round a shopping centre when you are on two crutches :lol:
    I also wanted to relax a bit
    Today {Sun} the family coming for lunch. I was doing things that Peter said I shouldn't be doing.....bending and doing low things which do hurt my back so eventually he kicked me out and said go to the Metro for a while. He's the cook in the house most of the time so he was doing lunch.
    It doesn't open until 11am on a Sunday and the kids were coming about 12.30 to 1pm......So I went in at 10.30am....Had a long walk round {no shopping :lol: } just trying to get my posture right with the crutches and this fracture and get a bit of exercise.......much better doing it on the flat and indoors in weather like this. 15 mins drive gets me there
    Of course Starbucks halfway through :wink: had to have a break LOL
    Love
    Eileen

Hi Hileena/Eileen :)

Yes, it's important to reward ourselves for all these appointments. I keep particularly special chocolate for this sort of thing: 90% cocoa!

The trips to the Metro sound a bit more fun and well done for that long walk and sensible Starbucks break. Reading the post about housework, Avon work etc., it sounds like you're pretty well sorted. Perhaps there's another long-handled device to assist with the polishing? (DD might know....)

Hope you've had a good day today :)

Love,
    Phee