Something went bump in the night.....

Options
daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 5. Nov 2014, 14:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
never very nice when you live alone, even less so when it's you going bump.
Last night, for reasons I still don't understand, instead of turning left out of my bedroom door to go into the bathroom I turned right and stepped out into the void that is the top of my horrid stairs. A combination of my arm getting tangled in the metalwork and my head hitting the wall stopped my flight, but left me in a heap in the dark at 1am thinking OK what the hell do I do now. Fortunately I was able to get to the phone and contact NHS Direct and after a doctor calling me back and giving me the 3rd degree the decision was that I didn't need to go to A&E unless I started having head injury symptoms.They were very thorough but it did get a bit surreal when I was being asked to give the dimensions of the lump on my head and whether the shape of my skull had changed - bit of a struggle solo!
I was able to see a GP this afternoon to check me over, and discuss the progress of the lump and the various other bruises that were appearing. Needless to say I've managed to prang the worst OA joints and my back is out of kilter thanks to the head and arm acting as brakes. The next few days are going to be uncomfortable, but the hard bit is going to be the mental side - fear of doing it again, the realities of living alone, and resentment at the fact that I already hurt a lot and really don't need extra. For now I've made up the bed in the spare room which is at the other end of the landing so making it a bit harder to do a repeat.
All in all feeling rather sorry for myself; I know it could have turned out much worse but I'm not ready yet to look on the positive side I'm afraid.

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    How awful, and how scary for you!!!
    Things like this really bring home how vulnerable you are when alone. Not a pleasant feeling!
    Could you install a stair gate? Or maybe change rooms permanently?
    As much as I love my house, I have been seriously considering moving to a bungalow, is this a possibility for you?
    I hope things settle for you soon, and yes, it could have been much worse, but that knowledge doesn't make it any better!
    Take care,
    Numpty ((((()))))
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    That must have been so frightening, and thank goodness you haven't done any serious damage, although I'm sure you must be feeling very stiff and sore. I think the idea of changing rooms is a good one but in terms of a stairgate while it is a good idea you would need to look at the design carefully. What about keeping on a landing light overnight or using a plug in nightlight.
    What I imagine will take longer to recover from is the knock to your confidence.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    So sorry to hear that you've had such a scary experience. Pleased that the damage isn't too bad, but it must have shaken you up quite a bit. I think the idea of a stair gate is a good one and would, perhaps, give you more confidence that the same thing couldn't happen again. Look after yourself.

Meg
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    That must have been so scary {apart from sore}
    I think the idea of changing room is a better one than the stair gate
    My first thought was a stair gate but when I think about it....the ones I know are quite low.....could an adult go over the top of them?
    Take care, take it easy for a few days now
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh Daffy, I am so sorry to read this - as soon as I saw the title I thought 'She's had a fall.' That, my lovely, was a very nasty tumble and now we need to find ways to stop that happening again. Could you leave a light on somewhere? My mum had plug-in night lights which are cheap to run and can be very useful for illuminating gloomy corners. I have a small torch by the bed which I use to light my way otherwise I walk into the blanket box at the foot of the bed.

Doctor DD prescribes three days of pure self-indulgence, heating on, blankets to hand for snuggling, frequent cups of tea and regular dullers to ease the sharper edges. If you are bruised I also prescribe either witch hazel or arnica. Chocolate and cream cakes may also help (I hope someone will be able to do a spot of shopping for you if required). Brace yourself 'cos I've never done this to you before. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    That must have be truly horrible all round, not to mention ongoingly(?) painful and scary to look back on.

I would be thinking that, if I didn't know why I'd turned that way I couldn't guarantee not to do it again. I know I'm on auto-pilot when I make the mid-night trip to the loo but, fortunately, I'm in a bungalow with enough light coming in from the conservatory to illuminate my passage. (No pun intended :oops: )

I think you and the others are right, daffy. First stop – as you have done, a change of bedroom. Second - plug-in night light on the landing if possible. Third – maybe a gate. I take Hileena's point but, with some illumination, that should be OK. Fourth – you talk about 'my horrid stairs'. They're not going to improve as, alas, neither are we. What about long-term planning for a bungalow? I had to give up (regular) stairs in my early 40s and have never regretted it.

Meanwhile, if you've recovered from DD's bearhug, hang on tight again. ((()))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Do hope you've stopped shaking now ,that must have been so scary . On a practical note , I recommend checking out argos and their bedside lamps . I have some that switch on with a touch which I find invaluable as hubby and I are both a bit groggy when we wake up and you simply need to wave an arm towards the light and tap it to be illuminated ! I rather like DD's suggestion of plug in night lights too ; anything to prevent that happening again .
    mamasmurf
  • daffy2
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your good wishes and virtual hugs - given the number of bruises now flourishing the best sort at present! There has been much application of arnica which has been very effective - in fact my face is a graphic picture of that as the bits I can't annoint because of risk of getting it in my eyes are now giving me a panda mask and a half shut eye, whereas the point of impact is just rather swollen and slightly grey.
    It wasn't light, or lack of, that caused the problem as both the landing and bathroom(I leave the door open at night) are well illuminated by the streetlight outside. It was the rather more worrying thing of my brain seeing the darker area of the stairs, knowing that wasn't where I should be going and yet still directing my feet that way, but not my hands to hold the banister rail.I was aware of what was happening but not able - or quick enough - to over-ride it.
    There are changes afoot(a major reason for my absence recently) so with any luck I won't be facing this problem for much longer. In the meantime I'm taking it easy and taking the medics advice to avoid too much brain stimulation from TV, reading etc(hard and boring!). Fortunately I don't have work until Friday and Sunday, my fridge and freezer are well stocked, and now the wind has dropped and the sun is out I can perambulate periodically round the garden to try and stop my joints seizing up.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I`m so sorry to hear about your fall - what an awful shock you must have got. I`m pleased the damage - as bad as it was - is no worse. I think that often there can be a bit of a delayed reaction when you have a nasty tumble like that, and you begin to ache in all sorts of places.

Be very kind to yourself, and take things nice and easy until you feel stronger.

Tezz x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Gosh what a terrifying experience. I hope the after effects settle soon. Here are my ((())).

Another reason to give up stairs. I would happily give mine away.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh dear, Daffy, how truly frightening that must have been. I blithely assumed that lack of light was the culprit and I apologise. :oops: The brain is a powerful part of the human body and can over-ride our wishes and desires, especially when we may not be fully 'awake'. I am pleased that you may be losing your stairs (I thoroughly recommend it, we still have a small flight but I don't need to climb them) and you have tomorrow to rest and recover but, if needed, is there any way you could miss your work for those two days? DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    The brain is a very dodgy area, daffy. Well, mine is. I guess that's scarier than all the bruises but maybe you were still half asleep. If your landing is well-lit, maybe you could leave yourself a large NO RIGHT TURN sign where you can't miss it. (I'm not joking.) I wonder if the changes you write about are simply disturbing your sleep. I'm with DD. Do you have to work this week?

P.S. Are you available for hire for Hallowe'en?
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, I hope last night was safer than the one before. DD
  • daffy2
    Options
    'Two luvverly black eyes'.....and I didn't even have the satisfaction of 'telling a man he was wrong'! Didn't realise that would happen from a clout high on the forehaed but I now have several squashed black grapes attached to various bits of my eye sockets which is making vision a tad difficult,not least because my specs don't sit properly, and a selection of aubergine coloured blotches down my right side and in my right armpit(good thing the weather means they aren't on display) All helps with the 5-a-day I suppose.
    I have had 2 good nights sleep despite the sore bits, and no wrong turnings, which has helped.
    Work is a case of see what happens. As seasonal relief staff 'no work no pay', and after the end of October goodbye until spring, but I will have choices about what tasks I do, and the Duty Manager is aware. I also think that being around other people will help distract from the various hurts, and that if I do start feeling bad then there will be help on hand.I have requested not doing the childrens' holiday activity sessions as I don't think they will benefit from exposure to my current scary halloween look, and I can't face dealing with the questions....
    Time for a cuppa and sofa session, possibly with a side-order of snooze.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hope your bruises lose that "technicolour" look soon, Daffy. A cuppa and snooze sounds like a good idea.

Tezz x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh dear, I am so sorry to read this but am not surprised. My Ma had a nasty tumble and her face was all the colours of the rainbow, plus her ribs, arm and leg on her left hand side. :( I understand your point about work being a positive (especially as it will end soon) and I hope you can keep 'backstage' so-to-speak: would your manager consider informing other staff members about your mishap so you don't face a barrage of questions? Sofa, cuppa and snooze sounds the way to go - may I join you? DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think your work plan is a good one but I don't like the sound of those 'grapes'. Don't take any chances with them please, daffy.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    Options
    The grapes have deflated quite noticeably over the past couple of hours Sticky, but if they come up again I'll call in to the GP's after work and hope that my awful appearance might persuade someone to look at them.
    Time to go and cover myself with arnica ointment and go to bed - good thing the bruises are within reach.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Hi Daffy, I'm sorry I am late to this. (((((()))))) you poor thing, what a scary and traumatic thing to happen. I think maybe you should just get the grapes checked even if they have deflated - in your current situation, it doesn't hurt to pester your GP and make sure all is as it should be. It sounds like maybe you were sleep walking in some fashion. I don't know much about sleep walking but the way you describe being half aware but unable to control things does sound like sleep walking - maybe something else to discuss with a GP who might have suggestions on how to prevent a recurrence. Some more (((((()))))) in case you need them.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How was work yesterday, daffy, and, more to the point, how are you today?
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    Options
    Sticky, work went OK, but I was glad to be doing a shorter shift so I could knock off at 3, I was pretty well out of glim by then. I'm supposed to be doing a full day tomorrow, but with any luck I'll manage as the clocks changing means closing time is an hour earlier. My manager has made contingency plans, but the situation is not helped by 3 other staff off due to injury at present - must be something in the air - and it being half-term when we're much busier anyway and have to deliver holiday activities as well.
    I was sporting a large area of neon greeny-yellow today to highlight the black eyes, wonder what colour scheme I'll have tomorrow.
    Didn't feel particularly good today - everything is really beginning to hurt and my neck is crunching big time, which did nothing to help the slight feeling of nausea which I suspect is my liver grumbling at the extra processing load from the bruises. On the plus side the sun shone, I was able to get into town to visit the library and a lovely little cafe whose owner does scrummy gluten-free cakes(I'm not coeliac but don't tolerate wheat so most cafe offerings are off limits), and a colleague who lives down the road called in when she'd finished her shift to say that she's able to cover if I need to finish early tomorrow. It's very much one day at a time.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    So, a bit of a curate's egg of a day. I hope today is easier. At least, if I've remembered correctly, you then have some recovery time. I guess the nausea might simply be pain. You have several extra helpings there and I find it can have that effect.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry I am late with this Daffy and so sorry to hear about your accident, I am hoping by now things are settled down and you are feeling a bit better, a wee top up ((((())))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Daffy, we're a few days on now so how's things? I hope your bruises are fading and that your neck has stopped crunching. DD
  • daffy2
    Options
    Things are hard work at the moment. Another day at work yesterday, very busy so thoroughly washed out by the end(and relieved that the clock change meant finishing an hour earlier), but better with company and distraction than stuck at home. It's my last working day for this season.
    The back and neck are not at all happy and that's compounded by not being able to use the pain relief of choice thanks to the head injury, and the alternatives being unsuitable(nausea with paracetamol, drowsiness with anything codeine based - unpleasant anyway and not helpful when watching out for concussion symptoms!) for use during the day. I did speak to a pharmacist about what my options might be, and a GP appointment said things seem to be OK headwise so far, but I have to be 'symptom aware' for another couple of weeks.
    I have a stack of admin and other matters to deal with, and am frustrated by being unable to leaven that lump with some gardening activity. However, things could be worse, and on the plus side my daughter has been in touch with a lovely photo of my GD(her niece), and a change of address - she tends to 'forget' to tell me when she's moved, but I think her chap is having a good effect on her.