Milwaukee Shoulder Syndrome

Options

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello ladies :-D

Thank you for your good wishes for this Saturday.

Unfortunately I had to cancel the op because other medical problems cropped up which I felt needed sorting out before this big operation.

I now have another date for the shoulder operation which is 11 April. So a bit of breathing space until then. Cannot leave it too long because of the bespoke bits that have been made up for me.

Will be in touch again soon,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, that sounds tough. :( Thank you for letting us know and I hope that you are currently as well as you can be. I will check in again before that date in April - it's in my diary. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Bless Elna you have had so much to deal with, don't forget we are all here to support you, and hopefully the op will be in April and all will be well ...thinking about you....((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Thank you DD and Barbara, I shall be in touch. I hope you are both as well as can be. We have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and carry on the best we can ......... don't we?

Love
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Elna
    Sorry I've just got back tonight.
    I'm just catching up on your thread.....such a pity it had to be cancelled.....but remind us again {or me....memory like a goldfish} :lol: about the 11th of April closer to the time.
    I wish you all the luck.
    Love
    Hileena
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Elna. I'm sure you made the decision that was best for you. I hope you now have enough time to get the other issues sorted/ improved before the 11th.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I'm sorry I missed this, Elna, and also sorry your op had to be postponed owing to other health problems. Our lives would be much simpler if the other health problems did the decent thing and left us to our arthritis but, sadly, no. I hope they are now leaving you and I wish you a very successful op in April.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hello! :)

The shoulder replacement has been done and the surgeon said it all went well. I have lots of bruising! I was in for three nights. He told me my shoulder was a right mess, no rotator cuff left at all and the ball was in a very sorry, sad state and he was amazed how I had managed for so long. He said I had helped myself by developing the deltoid muscle which I most definitely had worked hard on. ;)

I have to wear a sling night and day now for 6 weeks for it all to heal. I have no physio to do other than to keep my fingers and wrist moving, rotating my shoulder one way and then the other and exercising my neck muscles. Also pulling my shoulders back as if trying to keep a ball in the middle of the shoulder blades. All these exercises are presumably to prevent me becoming stiff due inactivity during the healing process. I know I shall have some very hard work to do after this to get the shoulder working again to some degree or other. I have been guaranteed no more shoulder pain which will be a huge bonus.

I have been for a couple of walks but not for too long now as the first walk was obviously too far. Surprisingly, to me anyway, walking seems to aggravate the shoulder/arm although in the sling. I have not been outside unaccompanied as I do not want to trip/fall and I do from time to time of late. I hate being inactive. It is early days, I know but I usually bounce back very quickly after operations. This time I have not. I know I am not getting any younger and had all the gastro problems at the end of last year continuing into the new year, then a varicose vein operation on 2 February, so I have had two GA's in a short period of time.

Hopefully I shall be feeling more cheerful next week. I see the surgeon in a couple of weeks.

Elna

• hileena111
    Options
    Hi Elna
    I knew that the op was in the offing but didn't realise you had had it. :o
    You take care of yourself and have patience LOL {look who is talking !!! :lol: }
    I'm sure you wont be online much
    but I'll be thinking and praying for you and a speedy recovery.
    Hope to hear updates soon from you

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hello Elna!!

Good to hear you have had your operation and are ok even if you haven't quite bounced back as you used to.

Are you keeping a diary like you did with previous surgeries? I know that reading old ones back reassured you in the past that you were on track and would be back to normal in time.

It sounded a complex operation and I think you are doing amazingly well.

Take care now

Love

Toni xx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    So pleased to hear that you have had the operation and that it went well. Recovery is frustrating especially when the sun is shining, but you need to give your body all the time it needs, especially after such a complex operation. It must be wonderful that your shoulder is now pain free. Take it easy, easier to say than do I know, and I hope your recovery goes well
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's lovely to hear from you, I am so pleased it has all gone well. I found when my left arm was immobilised in a sling for six weeks that walking aggravated matters, I guess because my arm couldn't move naturally. I suppose that people swing their arms to maintain balance but when one wing is out of action it complicates matters.

Healing is a slow process, deep healing even slower. Please do your best not to get too impatient - the hedges and lawns will still be there, in all their shaggy glory, waiting for you when you are back to your 'fighting weight'. :wink: Take care and I hope all goes well. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Elna its lovely to hear from you, and so glad the op went well,like you say now comes the hard work..but if anyone can do it ..its you..I think we all know you don't like being inactive..but you will be back to the allotment before you know it...lots of healing hugs...(((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Thank you Barbara,Hileena, Toni, Slosh and DD for your good wishes.

I am finding the diary writing difficult, Toni, being left handed and that is the arm that is strapped up. :roll: I am putting a few words down though, like "weepy, existing and crap" so on looking back will get the gist of how I was feeling at the time! ;) I can write with the left hand again but it is not very comfortable after a very short period of time.

I am not painfree yet by a long say Slosh but I am told I shall be ... eventually.

You are so right, DD about walking with an arm strapped up. My walking is no long great anyway, but atm I really only feel confident enough to venture into the outside world other than the garden, accompanied and holding on hoping in the event of anything happening they will prevent me from falling.

Hey ho, a week today since the op, well actually not quite as I went to theatre at 17.00 hours or thereabouts.

Love to you all
    Elna x

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Elna lovely to hear from you. I'm sure you are relieved the operation is now over even if the recovery is long and arduous but it sounds as if you needed it done urgently. It is going to need time and careful lookin after to make sure you have the best recovery.

I didn't know you had had the varicose vein operation. My Mum had this done many years ago and I must say even as a young child I was aware of how nasty this op could be. You have been through a lot lately so it is understandable the word weepy will be in the diary!

Take care and look after yourself
    Elizabeth xxx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Elna
    Instead of writing at the minute could you not dictate into your mobile? Is that possible? I not you can get tiny dictaphone machines and they are not expensive......dictate your diary into that. :wink:
    Many years ago I used to be an agent for a home catalogue and had to go todoor to door to pick them up......I had to keep a note of where I hadnt got a reply etc. In the winter my pen stopped writing, my book got soaked trying to make notes and thats when I bought one.....much easier!!! :wink:
    Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Thank you Elizabeth, I feel much better now than I did. I began to turn the corner on Sunday. I am finding it much easier to type and write now.

Hi Hileena, thank you for the tips. As I mentioned the Elizabeth, the typing and writing is now much improved. I am feeling much better and stronger in myself than last week. I see the surgeon again on 22 May. If the exrays look ok then I shall begin physio.

Elna x

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hello Elna,

I'm sorry I missed this. It came around fast, eh?

You're a trooper and sound like you're coping well. Fingers crossed that physio can start promptly and that you can start moving a bit more.

It's interesting what you said about walking because my physio was saying that we use our arms for aiding us when walking much more than we think, especially if we have dodgy lower joints.

Take it easy and look after your lovely self. :) x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    So glad to hear you are starting to feel a bit better, but PLEASE don't be tempted to try and do too much!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Thank you starburst. Yes, walking is definitely esier when using both arms! I am able to so much more than I could a week a go though. :) Tomorrow is a big day as my dressing can come off for good. The steri strips will then fall off as and when. Must still continue with wearing the sling day and night until 22 May when I see the surgeon again.

Elna

• elnafinn
    Options
    Thank you Slosh. I shall try not to do too much too soon. Have you been watching me? ;):)

Earlier on I said I had some wonderful bruising, well on Sunday I noticed the bruising had travelled all the way down the underside of my arm to the base of my thumb joint. I have never seen bruising like it. It is sore actually if I lean on it for too long. Arnica is not working fast enough!

Elna

• hileena111
    Options
    Hi Elna
    What bruising that must be if Arnica Isnt working fast enoughon it.
    Excellent stuff isnt it :wink:

We will be watching you, know what you're like :lol:
    I see we habve another member of the club :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

;):)

Love
    Elna x

• dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's lovely to hear from you again. It can be very hard to see one's progress when one is in the middle of it all but it sounds as though things are going well for you and that is very pleasing. I understand the not being sure about venturing further than the garden - I found it very frustrating being stuck indoors for weeks at a time because back in January '14 the garden was not that welcoming a prospect! I think that this is one of the better times of year to have an operation because the longer days and generally better weather must help the recovery.

You are doing well, Elna, keep up the good work! DD
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi DD, it is nice to be able to be in the garden but watching the grass, weeds, hedges, shrubs growing at a rapid pace makes me feel a little impatient that I cannot do anything about it. In the winter months there is nothing much to do in the garden.

I nabbed my neighbours gardener yesterday and he mowed our lawn for us so at least that is done. If I ask hubby it will be done when he gets around to it but that is not good enough for me. :lol: I will hijack this gardener again when he is next door. He trims hedges/shrubs too so that is good to know. :wink:

We are experiencing lovely, dry weather aren't we? Temperatures taking a bit of a dive this weekend though so I hear.

Look after yourself,

Elna x