Household Chores.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 24. Feb 2015, 02:25 in Community Chit-chat archive
Yup, they're always there and always need to be done by someone (which is usually us). I find some of them much easier to do when the mood strikes (such as scrubbing round taps with a toothbrush and Jif to remove dirt and limescale) but the daily-it-has-to-be-done-no-matter-what-because- I-can't-be-discovered-not-having-done-it is . . . . .

MAKING THE BED. :xmas_evil:

It is one of the quickest and easiest of chores but, for some reason, I loathe it. I would rather vacuum stairs, defrost a fridge, clean the windows, do a tax return, do anything rather than make the bed. My late Ma was right, though (and most irksome) in that the house always looks better, cleaner and neater if the bed is made.

Mig had a thread about resolutions -this isn't a New Year's one but I will make the effort (from tomorrow) to have the bed made by at least mid-day.

What basic chore do you find the hardest to execute? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I still find pot-scrubbing the hardest and most loathsome daily chore. OH hates it too, although he is more capable, just without spare time. When I do do it, he thinks I can manage it ok, even though I complain. They tend to pile up because I can't be bothered most days.

I likemaking the bed because getting back into it afterward is so nice :D
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I absolutely hate dusting - always have, always will, though I can't find a logical reason for such an aversion.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Cleaning out the soap-drawer in the washing machine??? SERIOUSLY and I am not just saying that because you said there is a machine which does it for you on your other thread DD....

Mopping kitchen floor?

Cleaning tiles in bathroom?

Hey it sounds like I need one of those steamers!! :cheesygrin:

g040.gif
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I can't think of one household task I don't dislike. I'm not naturally domesticated. I do what I can when I can and don't fret about the rest. If guests have higher standards they're welcome to grab a duster or a mop.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Peeling veg, it just hurts and I avoid it with my 'rustic' cooking wherever possible. Putting washing away - lots of folding, bending and opening stiff draws in our very cramped bedroom. I can handle most cleaning (not that I make a habit of doing it) because you can see the results if you let it get dirty enough in the first place. I'm not keen on washing up because it's hard work on hands. As for making the bed, on the days Mr LV doesn't come along with his military precision bed making and pillow shaking I like to 'air' the bed which means I fling the duvet over the end and sort of push the pillows around. It's my excuse for not making it because I too loathe that one!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ah yes, LV, our bed is currently 'airing'! It will be stripped today though, because I bought myself a new pillow today and I want to try it - that HAS to be done in a clean-from-top-to-toe bed.

Frog, you so deffo need one o'they steam cleaners, they are a joy. Mine was cheapy from Sainsbriz last January and it does the job brilliantly - it can refresh carpets too (not clean, just freshen). The kitchen floor dries almost instantly and the feel of it under bare feet when freshly done is one of life's small-but-large pleasures!

I damp-dust with a sponge thingy, theresak, that stops the dust flying around which stops me sneezing. Polish is sprayed on the radiators so people can scent that something has been done. Or might have been. :wink:

I love scrubbing out pots, Boomer, but there again I've always enjoyed washing up. I do it better than 'im indoors - he's a great believer in leaving half of what was cooked behind. DD
  • Boomer13
    Options
    DD, I will pay for a flight to have you come to my house. And, no need to make your bed.

I know I live in a rural area but what steam floor cleaners are you talking about? Mopping is seriously hard on the wrists.

LV, your veggies are much more nutritious with the skins on anyway :D
    I can't think of one household task I don't dislike. I'm not naturally domesticated. I do what I can when I can and don't fret about the rest. If guests have higher standards they're welcome to grab a duster or a mop.

I'm with you, Sticky. I dislike it all really.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Anna, that is very kind - I'll see you soon! :wink: We're talking about plug-in electric floor steamers (Shark is a well-known American make but I know you aren't :wink: ) You can get hand-held versions for tiles, windows, ovens, hobs etc. or floor ones or combined ones so you can remove the centre and use as a hand-held. My floor one is a dream: ready to go in thirty seconds, just water in the tank, and you're ready to go. I do our en-suite tiled floor with it too. The microfiber cover goes into the washing machine for cleaning: the amount of dirt that is removed is scary. DD
  • Boomer13
    Options
    OK thanks, DD. I definitely need one of those. Another excuse for a therapeutic shopping trip....
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    They are commonly found over here, the one I bought came from a popular supermarket (its own brand) and, although cheap, it's been good and reliable. It is so easy to move over any floor type, the carpets take a little longer to dry but hard floors are done in a moment. I thoroughly recommend one - I did some research before I bought it and decided to go for a cheap one first in case it didn't suit. So far, so good . . . . and I don't see the need for an expensive one. DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Cleaning the oven-it takes forever, makes a mess and never seems to look any cleaner.

Guess what- OH is going to attempt this very task tomorrow!

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Thanks DD, I'll go for a cheap one.
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    Hmmmm I'm now pondering a steam floor mop. I can get quite sore trying to keep our kitchen floor clean and I see that if Mr LV ever does get around to resealing our wooden floor I can use one on there too...and they pick up lots and lots of dirt? Are they heavy though?
    My house is on an unmade road (dirt track) so in winter mud gets walked in and in summer dusty dry mud gets walked in.
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    I'm pondering no more - I just found one heavily reduced at a well known online retailer and all the reviews said it was lightweight. I thought, what the heck, I will probably save that in bleach and floor soap if it is any good. The kitchen floor is like an ice rink when wet so the fact that this mop says it dries faster will be a godsend - the girls and a slippy wet floor are apparently magnetically attracted and it does make the job that bit more tricky to do! Sadly, I am unfeasibly excited by the prospect of a steam mop :?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The steam evaporates almost immediately, rendering the floor surface non-skid, unless one is wearing socks in which case one's Moonwalk will be miraculously improved. :wink: I do not find mine heavy - the water tank is not huge - but the hand-held one I also possess can only be used on the better days but makes short work of the oven (mine's new so I am currently pretty good on keeping it clean) and cleaning round taps and lavatory seat fittings.

LV - this is exciting because it is going to make your life easier - what's not to like? I am very happy for you, I hope you and it have a lovely working relationship. :) DD
  • Boomer13
    Options
    LV, I'm overly excited by this steam mop thingy too. It's made me think about how much I dread mopping the floor because of the pain afterwards (probably why I don't do it very often :oops: ). I haven't bought one yet but the excitement at the prospect is over the top. The arthritic brain at work?
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    Oh the shame! My mop arrived this morning. I'm anticipation yesterday I gave the kitchen floor a good clean so I wasn't unfair in my expectations of the steam mop's capabilities. It picked up so much dirt from my precleaned floor! :oops:
    I have to say though it was so quick and easy to use I really have no excuse not to do it daily now - I think I'd got into a fatal trap with normal mopping of it being hard so I didn't do it often enough and then it needed much effort because it was so bad meaning it really hurt to do and I then avoided doing it and so started the cycle again.
    Mr LV was so excited by my steam mop he has bought a hand held steam cleaner which I am going to assume he plans to use rather than buying it for me!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Yaaaaay! I am pleased you got on with it OK, LV, it is frightening what it removes isn't it? Mine has must been done and the cloth was filthy but it hadn't been done for a week so not surprising. :oops: DD
  • tkachev
    Options
    Do self clean ovens live up to their name? Has anyone invested in one?

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My new oven has a self-clean function but I haven't tried it yet - the instructions are less than clear and I am wary of getting something wrong! I am keeping on top of it though, the reasoning being it's easier to deal with a fresh spillage or two rather than really baked-on ones. I note, however, that I am the only one who thinks to clean the oven after I've used it - the Bloke doesn't. :roll: I think the reasoning is the door is shut so the dirt cannot be seen. Hmmmmm. DD
  • tkachev
    Options
    It was my intention to avoid spillages and to wipe any mess each day but it didn't seem to work out that way :) . It is a fan oven and it isn't cooking the food evenly so I might need to get a new one.

I agree that some instructions are less than clear.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    The most hated household job? Decorating, have a guess what I'm doing today, yep you've got it, decorating. Ought to be banned!

OH has a new year resolution, get the house redecorated, so I started yesterday..............and don't even mention OH doing it, it just isn't worth it, messy moo!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Mine is a fan oven too, so far so good with food being cooked properly but I haven't done anything apart from casseroles and he has only done one roast. :) I daresay you have to use yours a great deal more than me though, and given all the other pressures you face I am not surprised that the oven cleaning as slipped. Before we moved I had mine professionally cleaned (because it was being left for the buyers), it cost me £40 and they did a splendid job - for the last fortnight of living there I didn't use it! DD
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I get my oven professionally cleaned once a year, for £40, and it`s worth every penny, as that price includes oven, hob and extractor fan - they always put a new filter in there. I try and keep on top of it over the course of the year.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh Airwave, that brings back memories, I used to love painting (especially gloss if in the right mood) but now we have to get someone in 'cos Mr DD doesn't have the time (and he hates doing it).

Going back to cleaning, I am still in love with my cordless vacuum, it's happily used every day because it is so easy: I must increase my use of the steam mop - it's the plugging-in that I find irksome! DD