Household Chores.

Options
2»

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm a steam mop convert! It is amazing and is still embarrassing me with it's results - I put it down to years of not being on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor...still, at least here is a solution for me that means I can now clean the floor nice and regularly (three times yesterday and once already today). Thanks for this thread DD which inspired a solution for me!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    three times yesterday and once already today

:shock: :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    Purely to see if the mop heads ever get less blackened or if I will be doing this job for the next ten years before I make headway on the dirt! I do recall before I moved in scrubbing the floors for a day and still not getting them to be totally clean so I think I am fighting a losing battle.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You are more than welcome, LV, given the number of humans and animals in your household (plus the muddy bits outdoors) it's of little wonder that new dirt is still being discovered. I urge Mr LV to go all 'manly and gunly' (as my spouse put it whilst striking a 'pink' pose as he sorted out our wooden stairs and the upstairs shower, which only he uses).

I will 'fess up - I've treated myself to a new model, a slightly higher spec one, because I had some special points to use and have already found a new home for my old one. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    Oooh enjoy it DD. They are wonderful and I really do thank you for this thread.
    Mr LV's handheld steamer turned up today and he was at work so i thought it would be fair to have a quick go whilst everybody was out. It is amazing but it is his - it isn't going to be something I can easily handle to use despite it doing wonders around my kitchen taps which, like my floor, I thought was quite clean :oops: they are now very clean! He can use it to do the bathroom and all the windows both of which I think are quite clean...
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Good grief, where have I been? I just looked up hand-held steamers. Why on earth have I been suffering along with scrubbing? The added benefit is that if it involves a gadget, a Mr. is possibly more likely to use it? Either way, they are both now on my wishlist. Thanks for this thread!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I hope you can make them reality sooner rather than later, Boomer, they are a boon. I am always on the lookout for things which will make my life easier, hence my cord-free floor vac (brilliant) the steam stick mop and hand-held steamer (the latter is used by Mr DD due to its 'gadgety' nature) and I am now trying to develop a dishwasher habit. We have one but have only used it when we are catering for friends - ludicrous! With crockery for eight I can store it all up, can't I, and do one glorious wash every three days! It's a matter of changing a life-long habit and that can be difficult. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Boomer13 wrote:
    Good grief, where have I been? I just looked up hand-held steamers. Why on earth have I been suffering along with scrubbing? The added benefit is that if it involves a gadget, a Mr. is possibly more likely to use it? Either way, they are both now on my wishlist. Thanks for this thread!

Just a word of caution, Anna. In this house the hand-held steamer is strictly a male preserve. Water is heavy :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Thanks Sticky, I have a feeling he will love it :D . His housecleaning skills improve with every tantrum I have :lol::lol: I am kidding but I do get fairly emotional when I've just cleaned and it's like I've left a blank canvas for an artistic mess-maker to do his work!

Looking around at the state of things in the house, I'm not certain we will ever get it cleaned up. I've been trying for a year now and honestly, I'm ready to bring in some help. A small army with steamers is what's needed! I just can't do enough at a time (then I need to really put a dent in it. Plus, do you really want to spend the little good energy and function you have exclusively on house cleaning? If I do some house cleaning and cooking, well that's it for one day (sigh :roll:) That doesn't seem to be improving, sadly.

One thing though, it's all good data for my rheum. Although, I've reached the conclusion there's not much more he can do for me. Except come and clean my house maybe! :lol:
  • Boomer13
    Options
    I got a floor steamer. I happened to find one at a 2nd hand store for the equivalent of one of your uk pounds. I just had to buy new cleaning pads for it. Oh, how I love it! I don't even crack a sweat using it and I still have some hand function afterwards to be able to cook dinner. Utter bliss :D . Before I had to clean different areas of the house on separate days. With the steamer, I did the whole house in forty minutes and, it wasn't soaking wet for an hour afterward. Great little appliance!

Apparently handheld steamers are rare in Canada, maybe they haven't caught on here? Yet? I found only one and it's a combination model: floor steamer and handheld portable. I don't know about that one, so I may have to order from the US. I'm definitely anxious to try one because now I have tried the floor steamer, I believe it will make my life much easier (and cleaner).
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh Anna! :DANNA! (You should have heard that scream in Canada!) Oh honey, I am so pleased that you have found one and that it helps! I am grinning like a loon! :D Aren't they utterly fantastic? I thought about a combo but remembered my Dad's wise words about something being built to do two or more things won't be as thoroughly engineered as one built to do one. Please keep doing the research and I hope you can find a hand-held to suit. DD

PS Still grinning! :D You, LV and Frog are far happier houseworking bunnies and I am so pleased that it's made life easier for all.

PPS How are the chicks doing?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Just found your chick update - all sounds good methinks! DD
  • Boomer13
    Options
    I am still absolutely loving my floor steamer! I did finally hear your yell, DD. Thanks for cheering me on......

The money I saved buying the 2nd floor steamer I spent on a snazzy handheld steamer which I am totally in love with :hearteyes:

The problem is, I'm having an arthritic glitch and with a nerve pinch in one shoulder, a non-functional hand and wrist on the other side and a neck that doesn't deserve to be spoken about. I can't hold the thing!! Grrrrrrr. So, it's sitting in the box, waiting, waiting. I bought a compact, small yet powerful one and I did do one sink before the pain really set in. The pain has crept down into my feet overnight and they have set themselves like cement blobs. If this is a true flare then it will be my first since last July, which is kind of a triumph I think, even though I'm still kind of bubbling along most days (sigh).

I NEED to try out my steamer, please arthritis, please!!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Honey, never ever beg. In my experience ignoring the beast leads to it slinking off in disgust because it's been ignored. :wink: As you said, this is a glitch and it will pass because all glitches do.

I am very pleased that you are gaining benefit from your steam sticks, they are fabulous and I keep trying to spread the word to my able-bodied friends (who are strangely resistant to the idea). Idiotic twerps. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, that flaming hurt. :( Much as I love my cordless vacuum (and I do) I had to unearth my old, corded cylinder cleaner today to reach the bits the cordless cannot, and I am paying the price. The bending, the plugging in and out, the weight, the pressure - all were horrible. It will be in use tomorrow too because the sofa cushions need a vacuum, plus other narrow spaces. I will grasp the nettle (mettle?) and also do our mattress while I'm at it.

On the plus side I've bought a spray which should help our integrated fridge-freezer defrost more quickly (also on tomorrow's agenda). This hasn't been done since we moved in (and probably not for months before that) so wish me luck.

I fear a flood of icy water because the previous owner took the channelling tool with her, so I cannot funnel the water into a receptacle. Yikes. DD
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Using the vacuum is terrible for me too, DD.

Good luck with the defrost. I am hiding my head as my fridge is unclean and possibly ALIVE inside :o
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    This morning I am (like Fagin) reviewing the situation. It isn't that good so the freezer will have to wait another day or five. :wink: DD
  • Boomer13
    Options
    My fridge will be waiting too. I'm much worse again and have to get myself to the rheum tomorrow, which is the usual two day trip to the big city. Then, as soon as I get back I have an assessment for cataract surgery. That's my week. Things get done at a snail's pace around here, it seems. My feet are horrible and tomorrow I need to walk to make all my travel connections. OH says it's good timing that I'm going to the rheum's but I just find the trip exhausting, plus I don't think Dr. rheum is going to do anything except tell me to take pred, which I am refusing to do at the moment.

My steamer still sits unused :cry: I did use the floor steamer Saturday; ten minutes to do the kitchen, dining room and living room floor, woohoo.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I wish you the very best for your medical week, I cannot comprehend having to do a two-day trip to see a rheumatologist. For me it's an eight-minute drive away - one of the joys of living in a small country. The coast is a fifteen-minute drive which is even better - a blast of freezing wind, bright sunshine and crashing waves is a wonderful winter tonic!

Don't fret about the other steamer, it's time will come. The kitchen fridge-freezer is still making groaning noises: I care not because, should it break down (fingers-crossed) I can then get a new one that I like! :wink: DD