nellym78 Member Posts: 3
edited 19. Jan 2015, 03:25 in Say Hello Archive
Hi Everyone

I am new to site and looking for some advice.

I was hospitalised at age 12 with a suspected viral infection. I had inflammation of the knee and a painful clicking hip. I was put on traction and pain relief. I was in for several weeks and then diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Over the next 3 years I had several severe flare ups which resulted in long hospital stays, many medications, physiotherapy, hydrotherapy and attending school in a wheelchair.

Between the ages of 16 and 21 I had no symptoms and seemed to have outgrown it as the Doctors had suggested.

I am now 36 and since a fall downstairs at 34 I have attended my gp with constant joint pain and fatigue. Each time I am told it is tendonitis or bursitis and given ibuprofen. This does help but as soon as I stop taking the pain returns. Each time one joint is always worse than others. I gp even told me it was just part of getting old :x

I have a bone spur on the inside of my ankle, one on the back of my hand, one on the base of my thumb and suspected spurs on my coccyx and elbows. I am also underweight so not sure if it is lack of padding at coccyx and elbows. All of which are painful.

I have also been treated for IBS for the last 2 years. I also get random shoulder impingement and big toe cramps.

I have been attending a podiatrist for 6 years to get the same 2 corns removed from the soles of my feet. They initially suspected it was my footwear but I have religiously wore trainers or walking shoes since advised to!

My pain is worse as the day goes on and during cold weather.

I am concerned my arthritis has returned but confused as to why my gp has not at least had my joints x rayed to check for damage due to my history of JRA!

How can I convince my gp to send me for an x ray or Rheumatologist? And Can arthritis return after such a long remission?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :D


  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi nellym78

    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any technical problems you may have on the message boards.

    There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition.

    I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

    All best wishes
    Mod B
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,420
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello nellym78 and welcome to the forum :)

    I was diagnosed at 15 though my RA probably started with what they then called rheumatic fever when I was 11. Between 15 and the birth of my first son when I was 24 my RA came and went but after his birth it moved in permanently.

    With your medical history you should insist on seeing a rheumatologist even if it means changing practices to get a different doc, though you are entitled to ask anyway. Admittedly, the new pain could be OA setting in after the fall if you did some damage but, without recourse to a rheumatologist, you'll never know for sure. Personally, I think, in your case, x-rays alone might not help. You need the expertise of a rheumatologist although, as you will recall, RA pain is often at its worst first thing in the morning and I don't think it is as 'weather-affected' as OA.

    This might help
  • nellym78
    nellym78 Member Posts: 3
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thank you :D

    I forgot to mention I also have plague psoriasis on all affected joints including tailbone and after reading some similar experiences on here I am more determined to push for both x ray and Rheumatology refferal, I have a feeling I will need x ray to show damage to get referral :!:

    Changing docs is not that simple as we have only 2 surgeries in our village and from what I have heard of the other I'm better staying where I am :x

    Gone are the days where your GP actually cared about the bigger picture and not just treating the symptoms x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Given the fact that you have psoriasis then you should definitely be asking for a referral: there are around numerous kinds of auto-immune arthritis including psoriatic arthritis, it's one that is a sero-negative kind so rheumatoid factor won't show in blood tests but quite a few of us on here have it, me included, despite my skin pretty much behaving itself. Arm yourself with a few facts about it so your GP knows you are making a more than reasonable request.

    GPs know a little about a lot whereas rheumatologists know a lot about a little. It sounds as though you could also have OA, the joint damage caused by my PsA has led to OA, and I too am growing extra bone on either side of each knee and have bone spurs on my heels. DD