These things are sent to try us

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 26,697
edited 9. Jun 2015, 04:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
That was one of my Mum's favourite sayings. She was right. Again.

I don't do dressing up. It might be the arthritis and the mastectomy which, for years, have made dressing in anything difficult but I was never a feminine female anyway. I spent my early years getting mucky in the garden and my later ones in comfortable trousers and blouses.

I agonised over what to wear at a wedding last week. The family in question had already seen both my 'decent' outfits in every possible combination at previous weddings, christenings and funerals. I was worried I might turn up in the outfit I wore to the bride's first wedding. I even hate clothes shopping though I realise I am a traitor to my sex. And, yes, that includes online clothes shopping. It's the whole difficult, painful, tiring and utterly boring business of trying things on to ensure they fit. I almost always have something in the wardrobe that is still in its year-old, unopened packaging.

Plus, I loathe Disney. (Can you see where I'm going with this?) To me it represents instant diabetes with its saccherine, insincere, fake sweetness. I have only ever been to Disneyland once and that was because my USA dil loves it and wanted a family trip. (It's just an hour and a half down the freeway from them.)

Yup, Mr SW (aka Victor Meldrew) and I have been invited to a 60th birthday party, everyone to dress as Disney characters. The concept of a room full of 60-70 yr olds in Disney garb is surely the stuff that psychological torture is made of?

Not a chance. Not a fluffy Disney kitten in Hades chance. If my beloved Grumpy wished to don a bulbous nose and a hood and go in character I'd have no objections but he is as Disneyphobic as I am.

We are hastily organising a prior engagement.

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,152
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    :shock: :o :shock: :o:lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,256
    :o:lol::lol: I'm with you on this one.....I just don't do fancy dress never mind dressing up..I am sure you will think of a way out... :)
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    An evening spent surrounded by Disney characters sounds like my very worst nightmare. I don`t think I`ve `done` fancy dress since I was a child - however sad that may sound I do not feel deprived in any way.

A prior engagement sounds like an excellent idea.

PS I`m still agonising over a wedding outfit.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I quite enjoy the whole dressing up thing but a Disney theme? Children only. People do have strange ideas, my sister once went to a Teddy Bear's Picnic, complete with compulsory teddy. The only thing was it wasn't a children's party but a wedding!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I think I would have a prior engagement as well Sticky, Disney characters!!!! :shock: xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,561
    Disney - YUK :shock: When you wish upon a star and all that. Now if it was a Dracula themed party, I'd be on the front row - I have the teeth for it. :lol:
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    The mere thought of having to do fancy dress is bringing me out in a rash! I too would have a "prior engagement".

GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    What an appalling notion. With the following twist, however, it could be better. The males have to go as female Disney characters and the females as male. I reckon Mr SW would make a wonderful Snow White! :lol:

I am happy to provide the reason for a prior engagement on the said evening, just tell me what you've said so I don't blow it if questioned. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 26,697
    Brilliant, DD :lol: He once did a very scary Widow Twanky in his college's panto. I think a 6'2" Snow White would be a bit of a novelty.

However, the family have agreed to stay over an extra night - or, if not possible, at least say they will :wink:

I didn't realise there were so many in the anti-Disney camp. Welcome one and all. My dil regularly has The Disney Channel on TV and it seems to be populated by infuriatingly ever-smiley kids with braces on their teeth. who think and act as their grandparents think kids behave. Or wish kids'd behave.

Who's Online

6 Guests