Pocket Duties Please !

Options
silkysam
silkysam Member Posts: 113
edited 6. Oct 2015, 02:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all, well I posted a couple of months ago that I was having the Fluoroscopic ultra-sound guided intra-articular injection in my right hip. I have OA in both hips but advanced in my right. I also have OA in base of spine and two prolapsed discs L4 and L5. Continuous pain, lack of mobility etc, worn out with the pain and like other members feeling very low. The meds are the only way I get through the day. I should have had the injection a few months ago, but broke out in Shingles and a water infection, so had to postpone it. The new appointment is Friday 7th August. So I am getting nervous and feeling fragile I came on here for support really. Oh and empathy. Any advice on this proceedure would be greatly appreciated :) PS, the idea is to give me relief from pain, but also to diagnose whether it is my hip or discs causing me the pain and lack of range of motion. Thanks for any feedback xx

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry you're feeling low at present - I had a bad dose of shingles 18 months ago - horrible!!

I had the guided injection you mention the year before last, in my left hip. The whole procedure lasted about 30 minutes, and although it was painful once the local anaesthetic wore off, it brought great relief in a short time, and I'm still much more comfortable now than I was pre-injection.

Hope it goes well for you.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I hope the injection does the trick. Sorry, no advice as I've never had this.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thanks for support as always Stickywicket xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've not had this particular thing done either but in my experience of other steroid injections the worse bit tends to be the injecting of the local - once that has had time to kick in everything else has been relatively straightforward. Do you know if mild sedation is an option? If not it may be worth asking. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Never had this but I hope it proves to be effective for you.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I've never had this procedure but just wanted to say I'll be in your pocket and hope it will give you some relief.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    I've not had it either, but hope it goes well for you and gives you pain relief.

Meg
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thank you all for your support. It feels so much better now getting feedback and kind words. I will ask if I will get sedation. So very grateful to you all. XXXX
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello again, if I remember correctly today was the day? If so I hope it went as well as possible and you are not feeling too sore. DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I'm sorry I'm late....hopefully everything went well

Hileena
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thank you all, well I had it done. It wasn't too bad. I am not sure how I feel at the moment. I was told I couldn't drink fluids until after the proceedure. I am diabetic and today has been really hot. so I think that may have affected me but when I came home I fell asleep and woke up with what felt like a raging temp, sweating and shaky. It has taken ages to feel more normal but I think it is mainly a bit of a hypo and being a hot day.
    The staff were kindness themselves, and as I said the it wasn't to bad, everything was explained. I am hoping after a goodnight sleep I will feel more back to normal. I think you have all helped me and I am so grateful. So love to you all, and I will write tomorrow xx
    PS turned out I had been given wrong info about fluids , anyway it's done now and thanks all xx
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I'm pleased it went ok, and hope you get some relief.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thanks numpty :). Pain is not so severe but absolutely wiped out xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How are things now?

As I read about the fluids info I was wondering if that was right for diabetics. I've found in the past that hospitals can sometimes only manage one problem at a time :roll: and the staff trained in one disease or procedure have very little knowledge about others. I now double check anything I have doubts about.

Hope it's helping now :)
    Steven Wright
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thanks Stickywicket. The flushing/feverishness is subsiding. The injection site is quite red and sore. My pain is variable. Am I expecting too much for it to work immediately or does it take time? The reason I ask is a friend told me I would notice an immediate difference, but I still need painkillers.

I will say, it is a dgree better, but I still need my stick. I feel out of sorts again today but as your motto says Sticky - I will keep looking at the stars. ;)

Thanks as always in GREAT APPRECIATION for lifting my spirits and caring. xxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, we're a few days on now, how are things going? In my experience my knee injections never worked immediately and the residual soreness was in a league of its own! I hope the site has settled and things are feeling better. DD
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thanks for the info DreamDaisy :). Well yeaterday decided to see triage nurse as site of injection was spreading and getting redder. The doctor came in to see it and told me it was an allergic reaction to the fluoroscopic dye. I have steroid cream now. He said to tellt the consultant when I go in next week that I had the flushing and the redness at site of injection as he felt it was an allergic reaction. The redness is still the same, but it is only day 2 of applying steroid cream. Pain still there but not as severe. At least I know I should be more patient ;)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Knowing what we should be and being it are two different things. Wanting results and wanting them NOW is not that unreasonable in the grand scheme of things but arthritic life don't work like that. :wink: I used to be always in a hurry, impatient and rushing on to the next thing, now? Not so much and not only because I can't.

I hope the reaction continues to dwindle over the weekend, rest the joint as much as possible to allow the jollop to really sink in, giving it the best chance to work, and here's to a better week next week. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think you are being patient. It was the right thing to get the site checked out. Sometimes these things designed to improve our lives can bring their own problems.. I hope the cream helps soon.
    Steven Wright
  • silkysam
    Options
    Off to the hospital for review after the injection. Site still red but not spreading now. The last two days pain have been unbearable! Both hips hurting even . Heat packs both sides and painkillers got me through the day. Not so bad now though. Give an update when I get home xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I hope it's good news.
    Steven Wright
  • silkysam
    Options
    Well, just thought I would bring you up to date. The follow up appointment I had, to see my Consultant was a bit strange, to say the least! This was two weeks after the proceedure (ultrasound guided steroid Injection) this was used to diagnose where the majority of pain is coming from - my severely OA in right hip, or two prolapsed discs in spine. I didn't see my usual consultant, the one I saw literally had me in with him roughly 5 minutes. No discussion of whether it was my Spine or hip being the problem. Only that I was expecting too much of the injection, that it was early days, and to return in 6 months time. I told him that I felt it only took the edge very slightly for approx 3 days and that the last few days, I had to use two sticks to get around, I was that bad. That was it! The usual nurse that is at the clinic - and by now knows my history, quietly told me to make an earlier appointment, which at this point I felt so downhearted at lack of information, and being in great pain after a rough examination of my flexibility - I went home thinking, I am not bothering anymore as there doesn't seem to be continuity or hope:(. No explanation of my next step !

The thing that pushed me to ring to make a new appt. was after I visited my GP, in deep despondency. I was astounded when he produced a letter from the consultant I had seen, declaring that I had told him I was pain-free and also he had added that I was now able to carry out normal activities!!! I was amazed , to say the least! I had even told this consultant I was worried as the pain now was affecting my left hip also, and that I had days of using two sticks. I thought he must have mixed me up with another patient!
    I rang my usual Consultant's secretary, told her the situation and to cut a long story short, I have now been given a new appointment. To be fair, I have never experienced anything like this before from this hospital, and find all staff extremely kind and caring. I am hoping I will get a better explanation and plan with my next visit, but can't help worrying I may see that same consultant .
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You should not be worried, silkysam, but he should. He got it very wrong. Do you have a fairly common surname ie could he have mixed you up with another patient?

I hope you ensured your GP was in no doubt that the contents of the letter were just plain wrong.

I'd be taking it with me to the next appointment in case he's 'lost' your notes.

And, good luck.
    Steven Wright
  • silkysam
    Options
    I thought it may be because of my fairly common surname, but he had dictated the letter from his dictaphone and referred to me by my unusual Christian name . My Gp, who has been looking after my progress since this all started was the one who seemed concerned, he printed out the letter for me to take home and digest, suggesting I make a new appointment and return to see him in a month. I will do as you suggest and take the letter with me. I have been assured it will be a different doctor. I only have to wait a week, so will keep you updated. Thanks for getting back Stickywicket. :)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You have your GP on your side so that's very good.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he'd just looked at surnames and so muddled your notes but you seem to be on top of this and that has to be good. Well done.
    Steven Wright