Options
2»

Comments

• Tiswas
    Tiswas Member Posts: 21
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thursday
    Arrived at the hospital on time (under my own steam) and was called straight in by a very smiley Rheumy who announced "we have got a diagnosis for you, it's gout".
    She then went on to explain to explain that they can control it with meds.
    1 x 100mg of Allopurinol each day for one month. A blood test to see if its reducing the amount of uric acid and if it's working they will increase the dose to 200mg daily.
    In addition I have a supply of Celecoxib which I take 'as and when required' (sorry DD :wink: ) ie at the first sign of a flare I take them until it has settled down.
    Oh.... and stop the Salazopyrin. which I'm really pleased about!!!

Well, if this does the trick then it is a result and I am really pleased about it :D

Your opinions are really appreciated.

Regards
    64yo Male - Gout (at the mo!)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My husband has bouts of that in both big toes and it's nasty. At least you are off the sulph and the allopurinol should sort things. Celebrex is a good anti-inflamm and, because gout is intermittent, you can take as as-and-when. It's when things are permanent that things have to be taken on a regular basis.

I am pleased for you and hope this is the answer! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Oh a result, I think. I have a friend with 'gout' who no longer knows he has it as long as he takes allopurinol. I hope you'll be the same.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tiswas
    Tiswas Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Just some final comments on this one...

It turns out in the end that my choice of title for this thread was correct after all :roll:

Whilst, if this diagnosis is correct it will be a result. It has taken 21 years to come up with it. 17 of them being told, by various GP's to go away and take Paracetamol.

Regards All
    64yo Male - Gout (at the mo!)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Gout is an auto-immune inflammatory condition but at least it is one that can be 'fixed' by diet and medication which is a good thing. I can understand your frustration but perhaps the arthritis drum was banged so hard that other solutions passed everyone by. I had five years of my-then GP telling me that nothing could be done about my fat knee and it would sort itself out: if it wasn't for the physios at Ipswich Town (who were then in the Premier League) referring me to orthopaedics I wouldn't have got anywhere; friends had the genius idea that I should contact the ground and request an appointment, their reasoning being that if anyone should know about knees footy physios should!

I wish you well for your future and hope things improve for the better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben