Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Upgrade.

dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
edited 27. May 2016, 03:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
That's usually a word associated with getting something better than one paid for (in terms of compensation) but I've done that and paid for it. Needs must.

I don't know who will remember that the offisde front wheel fell off my rollator when on me hols in 2014 (I think I called the thread Three Wheels on my Wagon) but I do and with reason: yes, The Spouse effected an on-site repair but I have not felt too confident in that piece of kit since that episode; it's been getting worse due to wear and tear (where have I heard that term? :wink:) so today I went in search of a new set of wheels thanks to the approach of a Bank Holiday and us going away come early June.

Me being me I have approached a number of rollator users over the past few months, tried theirs and concluded that one make was the way to go. It lacks some of the features I liked about mine (viz. hidden brake cables plus the fact that the handles could be folded to rest upon the struts) but this new one is lighter than mine, has a number of custom-made attachments plus a seven-year guarantee. Earlier this evening the garden of No.10 witnessed me and Mr DD trying both, comparing and contrasting, and both agreeing that the new one is worth every penny. I had to buy a backstrap but, as I see it, that was money well spent because it is adjustable.

It's fabulous. I went for a walk around the block and felt both comfortable and reassured, which for me is important.

I wish you all well.

DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• theresaktheresak Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good luck to you and your rollator- the happy couple!!
  • stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭
    Customised, eh? So, spikey wheels? Enormous headlights? Please tell me I will not hear the approach of your thudding base line here in Yorkshire :lol:

Good for you, DD. We need strong and safe. An untrustworthy rollator must be a nightmare to use.
    “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
  • prefabkid47prefabkid47 Posts: 1,314
    DD
    I also noticed your rollator had been customised................ :!:

I assume this includes a non spill drinks holder the right dimensions to take a pint glass.............. :lol:

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • barbara12barbara12 Posts: 20,898 ✭✭
    its sounds brilliant DD..there will be no stopping you now.does it have a satnav... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubblesbubbles Posts: 6,508
    Excellent news, way to go XX
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • migmig Posts: 7,150
    Sorry but whats a back strap ? does it actually fit round your back ?
    Good idea for a drinks holder Ron. Mig
  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your lovely replies. The backstrap is fitted between the back of the handgrips and offers support so one doesn't topple backwards when seated: my old one was already equipped and, having sat on the new one without, decided it would be a good idea. I also bought a stick holder so if I need to 'abandon' the rollator (such as when in a restaurant) I can still get about with a prop. I can also purchase reflectors, a torch (maybe two could be my headlights!) a customised umbrella (sensible methinks) and a whole host of other stuff all designed specifically for my make and model.

If I decide upon a bottle holder the contents will always be water. :wink: If the weather holds over the weekend I will trot over to our local park for a gentle, enjoyable and secure stroll. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben