Revision of Total Knee Replacement

Options
elnafinn
elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
edited 9. Aug 2016, 03:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello! Some of you may remember me. ;)

On 13 June I had a revision TKR. My TKR was initially performed in 2010 but in 2013 the knee became painful especially when going up and down steps, stairs, escalators. At one time the pain subsided but unfortunately returned. So for three years I soldiered on, without any pain dullers in the end, as none agreed with me any more from years of using them or made much difference.

The revision performed on 13 June went well. I was wheeled down at 8.40 am. As infection was thought to be part of the problem before I was admitted precautions were put in place and I was looked after by a surgeon and his team at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in Oxford. I was overnight in recovery in case I needed antibiotics quickly but as this was not the case thank goodness I was moved to a side ward in the Infection Bone Unit (IBU) which had already been arranged just in case, but as there was no infection found, the following day I was moved to the Orthopaedic Ward. The operation went smoothly. It was found that the prosthesis was loose and excessively worn in an unusual pattern.

I was discharged on 17 June and I have found, so far, that I have much less pain post op than with the previous operation in 2010 and also the one performed on my left knee in 2008.

As a revision is often more difficult with more risks, I am over the moon.

I am doing the physio exercises, taking 8 paracetamol ad 4 codeines daily, icing and elevating the leg.

I have been for a walk the past 4 days without crutches but lightly holding on to Mr. E to feel perfectly safe. I do not really get on with crutches and having had a total shoulder replacement only last April 2015 do not wish put more pressure on it than I have to do.

I thought it may be a good idea to post because I do not remember anyone having a revision TKR on the forum but I may of course be mistaken.

So far so good. I am very happy as to how things have gone, so far anyway but it is early days. I will have the 26 slips taken out on the 27th at the local surgery and cannot wait!

I see the surgeon again in 5 weeks time.

Elna x
The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.

Comments

• Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you, Elna. I hope I never need a revision, but if I ever do, it'll be good to know they can go so well.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Elna, of course I remember you and it's lovely to see you here again complete with new knee. I'm so pleased that all seems to be going well this time. I hope that continues.

I think 'lindalegs' documented her knee revision on here. I'd had mine some time before I joined. But 'legs' and I had ours simply because our original TKRs had reached the end of their natural lives. One or two others have made brief appearances before and after theirs when, as with you, a TKR went wrong quite quickly.

As regards the stitches removal - I was pleased to discover my surgeon had gone straight down the original line so I don't have a double row.

You know the ropes well and I'm sure you'll get everything right with the recuperation. Nevertheless, I wish you luck with it as we all need a bit of that :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Elna of course we remember you how could we not.. :) its lovely to hear from you..but ek that is not nice at all..I know those knees were doing well so this is a shock..but so very glad you are pleased with how it is going..maybe you have been doing to much on that allotment...there is no holding you back and that is what has kept you going through everything...now how is that shoulder I hope that is getting there..
    Wishing you well xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Of course I remember you Elna......I'm so pleased that things are going well with your revision

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Of course you are not forgotten, far from it but only by us old hands (newbies come and very rapidly go). I am pleased that your revision has gone so well and I hope that remains the case. You are a careful and sensible lady and I am sure you will make the best of it - which is the Elna approach to life, yes? Take the best care, keep up with the exercises and please let us know how you get on.

I wish you very well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Elna
    I remember you! I am pleased that your revision has gone well for you, and hope it continues to go from strength to strength.
    Good to see you :)
    Take care
    NB
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks for posting and great to hear it went so well.
    Here's to a good recovery
    xx
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi Elna
    I am also one of the 'old hands' (as DD puts it!) and of course remember you.
    So glad everything is going well and so much can be due to doing as you physio tells you.
    Hope all continues well for you!
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hello again, lovely to see names I recognise. :)

Well, I must have spoken too soon. Lots of intermittant pain and last night was not good at all. I have all 26 clips out tomorrow and I am hoping this will make the leg/knee feel more comfortable. That will be exactly two weeks post op. The whole leg is so bruised, ankle becoming swollen during the day,but perhaps it was like this before in 2010 too. I should find my 2010 diary and compare notes! I am using Arnica cream but it is no miracle cure!

It is our Ruby Wedding Anniversary today. :-D We did go for a lovely meal locally, with bubbles, but are saving family celebrations and perhaps a couple of days away, until I feel a little more "lively". ;) A helium balloon, red roses, lilies and a red rose table arrangement arrived and 18 cards were opened today, so it was a perfect day.

Yesterday, I enjoyed looking through the scrap book of all our telegrams and cards sent to us 40 years ago with our nearly 8 year old grand daughter. She was very interested and pointed out that the cards were very different to what one can buy nowadays and she had of course never seen a telegram.

I will let you know how I go on.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think there will always be good days and bad days, Elna, and, yes, you will surely feel more comfortable after tomorrow.

As for the extensive bruising, I don't know how much you were told about the revision implant but I know mine is far longer than the original TKR, extending right down my calf. In fact, many, many x-rays later, and despite my warnings, they never manage to get the full implant on first attempt. However, it still looks beautiful, with lovely, clear lines and I wish you the same.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    Options
    Oh Elna I do hope its feels much better with clips out, I know my hips became painful at this point..and Many congratulation on your Ruby wedding ..and how lovely to look through the scrapbook with your GD..how time has past..now how old is the little one..you let us know how you get on..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hello again and thank you Sticky and Barbara for replying. Our youngest GD celebrated her 2nd birthday on the 23rd Barbara!

The knee felt better after the clips were removed but my goodness by the evening the pain in the knee/leg was awful. It went on for a goodly time and I must admit I was a little scared and it was so intense, like waves. Thank goodness it was quite a good night, waking a few times but that is normal for me post TKR.

Today has been much better. I am apparently not down to have physio.....? Found that a little weird. As I have some question to ask, a physio will be calling me. We were out today picking up our grand daughter from school and taking her to Brownies and typically the physio called but she said she will try again tomorrow.

Sticky, it was mentioned to me that this TKR was longer than the last one.

I hope you are both ok and that your hip is behaving itself now Barbara.

Elna x

• barbara12
    Options
    Oh Elan I hope that pain is on its way pout permanently..you have been through enough with all your ops..my hip is doing well thankyou..just the back now but will leave that be..
    The little ones 2nd Birthday bless, I bet you have some fun with them, our youngest GD is nearly 4..you keep us updated on that knee..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Happy 40th wedding anniversary Elna. I did love the wedding pics with your lovely smile and floppy hat. The sun was not only shining but scorching.I hope Lola is doing well, I'm sure she is.

I'm so pleased it went well for you and it seems the revision has sorted out a few nasties. I'm also glad to read that the shoulder is healing well but that was done last year? Time flies.

Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hello Barbara and Elizabeth! :)

I hope you are both okay-ish.

Update: Nights have not been too good but luckily I can nap in the day. I asked about this at my physio session and she said this was to be expected when there was so much healing to be done. She said when the wound is no longer a reddish colour then things get easier. I look forward to that time! ;)

I managed to get a physio appointment locally, because it appears that because I had the operation in a hospital out of my area, no physio was put in place for me. Say no more! So I had to make my own arrangements. I requested a call with my GP who referred me to physio and gave me the appropriate number as he said I may well have to chase them up. Well, surprise, a message was left for me on Saturday to call the physio department, only 4 days after speaking with my GP. On calling back on the Monday, an appointment was suggested for the beginning of August which I said would be a little too late really and then magically an 8.30 am appointment was suggested for the following day at another local physio centre, which I grabbed. The physio was pleased with me, 120 degree knee bend, and she showed me a few others exercises to do, besides the one in the booklet given to me at the hospital when I was discharged. She told me to do one exercise slower and I was able to askher a few questions I had. I found the session very useful and as she is not concerned, only wishes to see me in about a months time. I see the consultant in a couple of weeks. So that is me up to date.

Love
    Elna x

• barbara12
    Options
    Hello Elna sorry about the last garbled message I even called you Elan... :oops:
    Its rotten when you cant sleep, and the night seem so much longer..glad to hear you have sorted the physio , like you say its pointless after a while..not good when you have to do all the phoning up..
    Anyway you seem to have had a good appointment , they are worth there weight in gold some of these physios..now I hope this is the last op you need..dare I ask about your shoulder... :o you take care of yourself..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Barbara, you do have such a good memory. My shoulder! I still go to physio every now and again. The surgeon will not give up on me! Even Ian has been instructed on two physio exercises to give me each day!
    As I have had the knee op, I have not seen the physio re the shouider now for 5 weeks but am doing the shoulder exercises alongside those for the knee. Quite honestly I do not think it will ever improve more than it has but as the surgeon wishes to see me again and he recommended I see this particular physio, I do as he says. Before that I was seeing a physio closer to home. As I do not have hardly any rotator cuff left I cannot see how it can improve much more but I live in hope.

I cannot lift that arm very high so hanging out washing is a bit of a nightmare for me and I must admit I use the tumble dryer a lot now. Also reaching into cupboards above my head is impossible unless I help the arm with the good arm.

How are you doing?

Love
    Elna x

• stickywicket
    Options
    I solved the washing line problem by getting Mr SW to lower it for me.

I then solved the problem of people throttling themselves on it because they didn't realise it was so low by (a)substituting my 'blend-in' green line for a bright yellow one and (b)getting Mr SW to remove it for BBQs etc.

As for kitchen cupboards – it's years since I could reach a high one so I finally had one wall of our small galley kitchen adapted – all tall cupboards with pull our drawers. Even so, the top bits are his domain but it's lovely to be able to access so much.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hello Elna
    I know the shoulder would have been a big op, I am hoping the pain isn't has bad as it was before you had it...like SW.. I get OH to peg out..it amuses my neighbours the way he hangs them.. :lol: ..but mostly use the dryer because of the weather ..having to keep bringing them in is a no no..
    I hope the physio is helping..
    Has for me.. well its the back now...the hips are doing goodish..but I have declined the op on my back, I have done all my homework on it..
    Now you keep us updated , and dont stay away for to long..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Elna,

Good to see you on here again. Sticky is right I did post a thread on my TKR revision but it's good to have a more up-to-date thread going. :D

I remember it was tough after my revision but then not as bad as my earlier bi-lateral TKR as I had at least one good leg after the revision :)

It is still very early days for you yet and if the tables were turned I'm sure you'd say to us , be patient and be kind to yourself as these things take time :D

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I had my 6 week post op appointment at 5 weeks at a quaint, little cottage hospital. I took the crutches along to hopefully return them, as I no longer had any use for them. Actually I hardly used the at all, only in the hospital and from the car back home from the hospital. I remember I used them longer last time post TKR.

The volunteer on reception said that hospitals did not take crutches back because of health and safety but I could return them to the Red Cross.... on seeing the surgeon, he gladly took them to return to the hospital. So there you go!

Surgeon very pleased with my progress and happily surprised at my knee bend. Still have bruising around the wound and below the calf and some swelling but it is slowly going.

I see him in about 4 months time at the hospital where I will have an x-ray which is usual as I remember. I have my next physio in 4 weeks.

I do not like this hot weather either Sticky, but I must admit I used to when younger and lay out in it most of the day!

Keep cool,

Elna x

• barbara12
    Options
    Hello Elna so glad to hear the surgeon is happy with your progress..i expect nothing more form you..its always onwards and upwards.. :D has for crutches and other aids we have been trying to get them to pick up my toilet frame and raised seat but they dont seem to want to :roll: ..now we have a drop off point for crutches..not good on my joints this hot weather..so I feel for you..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Barbara, it just seems such a waste of money that they do not want these items back. The surgeon took the crutches back with no hesitation ( I was happily gobsmacked) and mentioned that he takes all aids that patients give him and he mentioned raised toilet seats, as he is a "hip and knee man". ;) So it appears it is not the patients that are unwilling to return the aids but the hospital being reluctant to take them.

Today was not so bad weather wise. It makes me extra tired. I am beginning to cut down on the paracetamol and codeines. I think I have a way to go with the intermittent discomfort but I do appear to be sleeping a little better now.

It is always onwards and upwards for you too. We soldier on the best we can. Trying to keep positive does help. I keep my whingeing to the confines of the home! ;) Mr E is getting a little deaf (just as well for him!) so I talk to myself and get it out of my system! ;)

Love
    Elna x

• stickywicket
    Options
    I've heard of at least one other hospital not taking such things back though mine does. I wonder if it's to do with the expense of collecting, disinfecting and storing things. Maybe it's cheaper not to.

Mine is a large teaching hospital covering a big area. We once took a loaned commode back (unused) because we were flying out to USA. The depot was enormous and I can imagine that such a place is costly to maintain.

Keep plugging away, Elna. You're getting there.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Another week has passed Elna, how are things going now? I hope the upward trajectory continues! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben