It's nearly 'flu jab time.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 3. Oct 2016, 11:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just realised that we are at the time of year when these things need to be booked so I rang my GPs surgery. I am not in the right age group for them to book me in over the phone so I have to wait for a letter and then they can. They are running three clinics in October, the first on the 4th, so if you are immuno-suppressed like me, it's time to start sorting things out.

I should receive my letter by the end of this week but if I don't I was advised to contact my surgery again. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good reminder, DD. We've got our appointments booked for 1st October.

Meg
  • Scampdog
    Scampdog Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I have had my appointment booked for four weeks now ! the day has finally come 16.58 today, must be coat off ready to get the jab on time thats if its not raining and I can get it over my arm in time LOL due to my Trapeziectomy !! everything takes longer now Xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Good luck, scampdog :D

DD, Thanks for the reminder. I was torn between booking before our move or waiting until up in Scotland. I decided to go for it before any bugs appeared.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Good luck, scampdog :D

DD, Thanks for the reminder. I was torn between booking before our move or waiting until up in Scotland. I decided to go for it before any bugs appeared.

Good idea SW, before you move, at least it is sorted then. Now all you need is a vaccine against the midges :) I keep looking at my saved properties on the Isle of Sky and dreaming .......................XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I went for a steroid injection for my hip on Friday and the Dr seized the moment and gave me a flu jab at the same time reasoning that as my hip would be too sore to lie on it wouldn't matter so much if my arm was also sore! :oops: Needless to say I've had a fairly uncomfortable weekend......just hoping the steroid will do it's job......

Deb x
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Had my flu jab on Saturday. Managed to get it booked in a good few weeks ago. (I qualify as I'm a registered carer for my 92 yr old Mum although, of course, I can't do the physical bits for her).

I'm just grateful to be able to have the flu jab. In the past (before I got the registered carer status), it cost me £10 at my local pharmacy but I considered it to be money well spent.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Thankyou for the reminder DD, boy that has soon come around.. :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • Paleogirl
    Paleogirl Member Posts: 75
    Options
    I got an appointment through from my GP a few weeks ago saying I qualified and could I come 24th September. I was confused at the time as I hadn't seen the consultant (I was only diagnosed last week) but it seems my proactive GP was indeed.

He phoned me this morning as he had received the letter from the consultant saying I had RA. Had they given me a prescription, did I have enough medication etc? Such a contrast to my previous surgery
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Doesn't it come round quickly :roll:

Seems no time since we were talking about this last year.

Am I the only one that doesn't get a letter or an appointment?

Our GP's ....for ordinary appointments we either book by phone or book online and usually it takes for every to get an appointment. Especially when you have what they call "multiple
    complaints" and you have a doctor assigned to you. It takes anything between a few weeks and a month.
    Flu Jab is a different thing......we all go up to the surgery on a particular day and herd in like sheep or cows and just wait until they cant take us.... No letter either :roll:
    We get a flyer out in the post and there are notices in the waiting room.
    I forget when mine is but I have made a note in my diary

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    I don't get a reminder either Hileena, but I do brave it in the end!!!

s050.gif

c060.gif

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I used to get a flu jab notification letter but, in recent years, I've started to pre-empt them and just ring in. I reckon the earlier the better as that way I get it in before the autumnal coughs and colds arrive which can complicate matters for us autoimmuners if we are unbeknowingly harbouring one when we have the jab.

You have an assigned GP, Hileena but you may still see any one in the practice. No need to wait so long. I quite like seeing new faces. They often have fresh ideas.
    Steven Wright
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Options
    Had mine today, I never get reminders from gps for it.

One year when I went one gp said ( after looking me up n down!). -!: why do you need a flu jab! _quite accusingly '. Took one look at my record n said ' oh there's lots of reasons isn't there! ha ha!!

Today one of the darling gps has gone into my arm muscle on the top of my arm with quite a force - so much so it's bruised within the hour !
    Hey ho after suffering full blown flu a few times in my life I'm in no hurry to have it again I'll take the bruise n Thankyou xx
  • Scampdog
    Scampdog Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Me too Lynnemarie bruised and a bump and red too but better this than the alternative Xx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    We had our jabs today - my GP always tells me to get mine done as early as possible. I normally get a phone call.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, me, for reminding me that I haven't had the letter. :) I've not had an easy week but will chase this up come Tuesday. I hope that all is well with those who have had it done. DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I got the letter while I was away and I couldn't get an appt till 22nd October. I hope I'll be ok till then. I already have a cold and a temp. :(
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I'm having mine at school next week as the LEA I work for offers them free to all staff working in schools.

Just a quick question linked to the fact that I am currently on steroids, I have informed the office of this and that I am immune suppressed at present due to this and I have my blue card. I've never had any problems with the fly jab before, am I more likely to have a reaction this time? I am being extra careful about handwashing and have lots of alcohol hand gel around but working in school is not the best, Juniors are better than Infants but I had a slight infection this week which knocked me sideways a bit.

Any advice welcome.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You're only more likely to have a reaction if you're already harbouring something. This can be hard to determine. I get mine on Tuesday and we move house the following Tuesday so I'm currently paranoid. It's tricky. You're doing all the right things, Slosh. I hope they pay off. They usually do.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks Sticky. I hope all goes smoothly with your move, moving house is never easy, especially when you're moving to a new area so I'll be thinking of you and Mr SW.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thanks, Slosh.

I confess I got a bit annoyed with a nice old man from church this morning. Flu jabs were mentioned and he said “Oh I don't bother. I leave it all up to my immune system.” A tad tetchily, not to mention inaccurately, I replied “I don't have an immune system.” It does irritate me when the healthy think we're just being obsessive.

By the way, Slosh, when I said I'm currently paranoid I meant I'm...er....well obsessive about any slight signs of problems eg my throat is fractionally rough and my voice fractionally hoarse right now. This is almost certainly down to talking too much and too loud in too many restaurants over too many last meals with friends. But I shall monitor it just in case. And when, yesterday, a friend who is only just, finally, after several weeks, more or less recovered from camphylobacter incurred when abroad, held out her arms and said “Come here, you” I wanted so much to say “No thanks.” :oops: (But I didn't.)
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Some people....I occasionally shock/upset work colleagues who ask me routinely thngs like ""How are you/ you Ok? " by actually telling them!

I don't blame you for being a bit obessive at the moment, moving house is quite stressful enough without havimg to factor in Athritis and all that goes with it.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Had our flu jabs saturday morning,the nurse checked and I have got to have the pneumonia jab again apparently I should have it every five years ,it used to be every ten years but the guide lines have changed,I would have had it with flu jab but they had a power cut on and off for two days and had to throw them away so I will be phoned this week when new stock come in.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I didn't know that the thinking on the pneumonia jab had changed, thank you for that information. I haven't had one yet but I guess I'm heading towards the right age. :wink: I hope you hear from them soon - and it doesn't hurt too much! DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    DD the nurse said people who are immune suppressed should have the pneumonia jab anyway.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Yes, DD - we immuno-suppressives are entitled to a pneumonia jab. I had my first one a few years ago & my rheumy said to have it every seven years, so I had another one last year.I didn't know about new guidelines.