What a difference a diagnosis makes.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 2. Nov 2016, 13:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
And this time it has. As some of you may know I have been feeling somewhat 'off-colour' for the past few days but I've done my best to carry on with the things that needed to be done, and I have apart from the ironing. Do I care? No. He can wield an iron just as well as me and it's his work shirts that need doing.

I rang the docs this morning, got an appointment at the indecently early hour of 8.50am and yes, I have 'flu. I must stop my humira and meth but manage without the 'benefit' of anti-bios unless I start a chest infection. EUREKA! :D I am properly ill. :D

I have never regarded my arthritis as an illness, it is a fact of my life (and members of this forum have taught me so much in terms of dealing with it without drama or hysteria) but oddly, since my GP told me what's what, I am feeling worse. I think this is the reason why.

I have given myself permission to be ill. The 'flu is an intruder, capitalising on my inability to react but I don't care because I am properly ill. It's an odd kind of holiday but I like it. DD

PS For those who don't know my history I have PsA, OA and fibro.
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hurrah DDs properly poorly ,you have permission to feel sorry for yourself BUT not for long. (((()))) Mig
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Take care of yourself, DD and I hope that you're soon feeling much better.

Meg
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Options
    DD Sorry to hear that you are unwell. Take care, keep warm, rest and get well soon X
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Now if you'd been a man you would have given yourself that diagnosis days ago....
    I do hope that now you know what you're dealing with and have permission to be properly ill(instead of all this arthritis stuff!) you will take full advantage and make sure it's well and truly dead and all hangers-on dispatched in good time for the festive season a few weeks hence.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Crikey DD if you'd been a bloke, you'd have long since taken to your sickbed with double pneumonia! :lol:

It's good you have a reason for feeling peely-wally, but I'm sorry to hear it's proper flu. Hope you get plenty of rest, fluids, fresh air (might help to chase some of the germs away!) and I sincerely trust we hear soon you are on the mend.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD
    Yes you have permission to be ill, also to be sorry for yourself and to wallow a bit.......but like you would tell us.....just for a short time :lol:
    Take care pet
    Love
    Hileena
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    And being a woman you carried on as we do. Now for some rest and definitely no ironing. Hope it clears up quickly.
    Christine
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    No wonder you were feeling so rough. Now time to role play being a man and in particular a man who is ill! Go for it.

But seriously I hope it doesn't spread to your chest.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    Options
    Hope you're feeling a bit better today,JK is on at 9.25.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you everyone, it's very kind of you to take the time to reply. I had a truly miserable night and today is going, so far, worse than yesterday, so maybe the nadir is being reached. I am getting regular bouts of fresh air by making tea for the roofers which I deliver then they return the mugs to the front door. I am also indulging my love of the flowering teas, plus chamomile flowers, cherry sencha leaves and one whose name I have forgotten. The aching is horrendous, quite different from the other and my mobility is somewhat compromised but things will get better, they always do and I will return to the giddy heights of moderately grotty! Happiness is. :wink: DD

PS Mig, I have so far resisted the charms of JK and his baying guests but you never know . . . .
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    My dear properly-ill-but-still-brewing-up-for-the-builders :o , DD. I'm very pleased you saw the doc even though, effectively, docs can do no more than you were already, sensibly, doing.

I'm sorry you are properly ill. Improperly ill sounds a much better option. A bit like the health equivalent of 'I shall wear purple'. I once heard of a woman who 'enjoyed ill-health' all her extremely long life. I doubt those around her enjoyed it much.

However, you are not of that ilk. You are proper poorly so I guess it might be time to mobilise the MASH unit. The 'copter is winging its way as I type. I have even staffed it with the delectable Hawkeye as an amazingly kind and compassionate gesture on my part and because you are clearly too ill to profit from any of his attentions other than the purely medical ones. He has promised me that, should you try, he will operate instantly on whichever part of your anatomy is closest to hand. Alas, in an oversight, I omitted the anaesthetics.

Naturally you are achey squared. You have flu aches plus PsA aches and, when they get together, they enthusiastically produce a whole host of little mini aches. I fear you will be Flopsy and Mopsy for some time yet. Don't attempt a rushed recovery. Keep on drinking your teas. And resting. And sleeping. Mt. Mod. Grot. is some way off yet.

I have donned my space suit and helmet so here goes (((( ))))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh my word, I recall the MASH unit (and with some trepidation it must be said, their tender care was destined for others, not me!) Thank you, I appreciate the effort but will go AWOL as soon as I hear that distinctive 'whop' sound despite the promise of the delectable Hawkeye eyeing me up. (In your dreams, sunshine, you are not Mr DD and never will be.)

I managed to sleep through all kinds of roofing nonsense plus Smooth Radio. I am defiantly ( :wink: ) ill. DD
  • mig
    Options
    Morning DD hows things today ? Mig
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    All she needs now is Mr DD to catch it mig:shock:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Frog, that's a wicked thing to say to any woman :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    Options
    Hope thats not put the jinx on it frog.
  • littlepetal
    littlepetal Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello DD

Hope you are feeling better. I had the flu several years ago and I know just how you feel...awful!

My husband use to be a roofer and he always took a flask of coffee with him and a bottle of orange squash...... so no running around after the workmen, they will be fine. Just concentrate on getting plenty of rest.

Sending gentle hugs
    littlepetal xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry DD I am a bit behind with everything..I just hope things are improving for you...I dread the flu ..and can only remember having it twice ever...that was enough..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Frog, that's a wicked thing to say to any woman :lol:

TRUE!!! :lol:

and mig - I REALLY hope not :?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Again, many thanks to everyone. Yesterday was a better day but today is not going so well, I'm back to the dripping and shivery thing but fortunately the builders aren't here at the moment (I have no idea where they have gone or when they will return). Unfortunately I have a rather poorly Mr DD working at home (he is itching all over and has had a raised temp) and trying to get a doc's appointment so I am making tea for him. :roll:

I think I'm on for the long haul with this, I was secretly hoping to be back to MG (moderately grotty) by the weekend but I've now booted that thought into touch (if it happens then lovely but I'm not expecting it to come true). Time for more cocos methinks! I'm currently sipping a spicy chai from my lovely exotic teapot company and it's getting better (or I'm getting used to it); there are definite tastes of cinnamon and clove. DD
  • mig
    Options
    Poor DD having to cope with being mildly grotty and Mr DD being extremely grotty.I wonder if he's caught what you had but did you itch as well ? hope its nothing contagious .Hugs for both (((())))
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Don't like the sound of the itchy bit :?

Hope all is well? (ish)

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Cinnamon and cloves? Add apple and you have a wonderful stewed apple mix for whatever you want. It's a taste that always makes me think of Christmas for some reason.

I hope your patient is no worse. You have enough to deal with without a sick bloke.

I send more ((( )))s. (It must be the bang on the head :wink: )
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Cinnamon is a traditional Christmas spice. My Dutch in-laws used to give my children spekulaas biscuits for Sinterklaas(St Nicholas) which were heavy on cinnamon and had a bit of ginger as well. Germany and Denmark have similar thin biscuits which are heavy on ginger so more spicy and tangy, my mother's Danish friend used to do a big bake ready for Christmas, and some would be hung on the tree. I was a willing helper!(her daughters weren't interested).
    Cinnamon is very good for fevers - my standard cold remedy is rosehip tea(straight, not trendy 'nature-identical flavour' versions) brewed with a cinnamon stick, and a tiny blob of honey.The stick will do more than one brew.I don't know if it's still the case but Beecham's Hot Lemon used to have cinnamon in and my ex always found they worked much better than the ordinary Beecham's powders.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I do love cinnamon. Mr SW and I are hooked on Cinnamon Graham biscuits which are available in USA. We brought 2 small boxes of them home with us last time.
    Steven Wright