Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

1st formal absence meeting with employer

nearlybionicnearlybionic Posts: 2,204
Hi
I had ALIF spinal surgery 5 weeks ago and will have been off work for 8 weeks next week as I was unable to work for a few weeks pre op. I have had a tough year health wise and have needed 3 lots of sickness off work, one after a fall at work, one after a car accident. I have gone back to work each time as soon as I was able to, but regardless of this I have been issued with 2 sickness letters prior to my surgery.
My manager has contacted me to arrange to meet with me as per policy next week, and is coming to my as I am not able to drive yet and travelling is not comfortable. I was told it was not a formal meeting, but the letter says different and says I can have a colleague with me or a staff side rep. I do not want to involve unions and stuff unless really necessary, as I had a bad experience in the past. I don`t want anyone from work involved as I worry about confidentiality.
I am concerned about my future ability to do my current role. But my Mum (who is retired from a similar role) has told me to tell her that I am keen to go back to work as soon as I am able. I feel pressured by Mum, although my hubby is very supportive to me, as he sees how much I struggle daily.
Any advice?
NB

Comments

• nearlybionicnearlybionic Posts: 2,204
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sharon
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have had Access to Work previously and have some equipment in the office, but I am not just office based. I have been looking through the site for advice too, so thanks for the pointers.
    I am considering ringing our local union rep for advice, not necessarily for her to attend the meeting.
    I will take a look at the Citizens Advice site too.
    I potentially have just less than 20 years to work, and seriously cannot see me managing that. But I don`t want to let my hubby down as he is working so hard to keep us afloat. My full pay drops after Christmas, but I am not sure if I will be ready then to go back to work. My hubby is very supportive, and is probably more against me going back too soon than I am!
    I will make some calls tomorrow, if I feel brave enough to talk to someone about myself.
    NB
  • nearlybionicnearlybionic Posts: 2,204
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sharon
    Yes I phoned a union rep who has tried to reassure me that the meeting is nothing to worry about and that I should be ok on my own. I am still apprehensive, but have decided against asking for a rep to come to the meeting as I fear it will change the feel of the meeting.
    I can only tell her what I know up to now, as I have not had any post op follow up yet and am not ready to return to work.
    Thank you for your enquiry
    NB