I'm Back!

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 15. Feb 2017, 05:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Op went well. I've had to have the kneecap replaced as well as my consultant said it was in a deplorable state and if he'd left it, I'd have been back in theatre within the year.

I had this done under a spinal and sedation. I had extremely low BP Monday night. Physios got me up 3pm Monday (I was first on the list so was back in my room about 11am) and I was using a frame for a few steps. I was cleared for going to/fro the loo on my own, so did this about midnight. Got to the loo and then came over all peculiar. Managed to get back to the bed (should have rung the buzzer in the bathroom) but struggled on and hit the alarm on the bed buzzer. Nurses came running, got me back into bed and did my BP. It was a spectacular 91 over 44! :o I was then put back onto bedpans for the rest of the night. :roll: My BP is usually low but apparently the spinal can cause low BP.

I came home yesterday morning courtesy of my lovely neighbour Maureen. My friend Lin stayed with me last night and will again tonight. She'll go home tomorrow afternoon.

For now? My knee is extremely swollen, it's sore and I am now regularly taking my pain meds. I've managed to change my TED stockings this morning and I have showerproof dressing on my knee. I am trying to do the physio exercises but naturally some are possible and some aren't at the moment. My frozen peas are very busy as my ice pack and it does help a bit with the swelling.

I have spare dressings here which I can use if needed, but have a dressing change and wound check appointment already booked for Monday at 12noon, and the clips come out on 13th Feb. My first physio appointment is 13th Feb (so that'll be a busy and sore day) and I see the consultant for my post op check on 10th March.

Hospital made it clear I am not allowed to return to work until the consultant says so. When I saw him last Friday he said I could be off 2-3 months so I suspect my original 6 weeks will now be longer!

Thank you all so much for your kind messages. I was able to use my roaming data to read them but wasn't able to post and was shattered last night.

I'll post again tomorrow.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Let me be the first to say welcome back
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Grace,
    Good to have you back online again
    You take it easy, post when you can, we aren't going anywhere :D
    Sounds a bit like me. I had a spinal and light sedation. My BP was very low as well. They ended up giving me units of blood.
    I was the same with my hip.....blood transfusions after they tried to get me standing and I could hear them saying s"tay with us"
    But we are both back........
    Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Welcome home Grace!!

What lovely friends and neighbours you have :)

I am so glad you are home and bet you are too.

You get 10/10 from me for changing your own TED stockings!!! I can barely do someone else's!!

This low BP must be very common - it happens to me every time I have surgery and my Lucy's was 80-something over 30-something so they gave her fluid. Lots of!

Take it easy now

Love and ((()))

toni xxx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Good to have you back Grace.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    And very welcome you are!

It sounds like everything went as planned, and with your advance organisation you will be all systems working well at home too.

We will be here whenever you pop in - and when you can't we will be sending gentle ((((( ))))) to keep you comforted

Love
    Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Welcome back, Grace! I'm very pleased that all is going well not least due to your own efforts and forethought.

I'm quite appalled by the low BP thing though. You should never have been allowed to go to the loo on your own so soon after the op with low BP. Even I know that urination lowers BP even further.

However, now you are home and that is always good.

You do your own TEDS :o I am very, very impressed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

The very low BP only came to light after I'd pushed my buzzer.

As for the TED stockings I used the plastic bag over the foot technique (having carefully watched the nurse Monday morning). And of course - at the moment - my hips are reasonably good, so I can reach my feet. It takes ages of course!

Had a very quick shower this morning before my friend went home. And it was a quick shower. But it gave me the chance to wash my hair and have a quick hose down.

My bag of peas are struggling under the strain so I've placed an order with a well known high street chemist for two re-usable freezer packs. These should be with me on Monday and will be delivered.

I am wondering though if the TED stocking is "trapping" the swelling as my leg below the knee is normal. Knee and above is twice usual size. It does reduce overnight but doesn't go completely. I think I have some TED stockings in a drawer from previous surgery and am wondering about asking the Practice Nurse on Monday when she does my wound check/dressing change for me, if I should try a slightly older (and next size up) TED stocking on that leg. But I will check first.

GraceB
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Grace
    I was just reading about your peas........I was sent home from hospital with a thing called a cryo/cuff A thing that you keep in the fridge then you wrap it around your knee {only for 30 mins} and back into the fridge and don't put it on again for at least 1 hour. It fastens round your knee with Velcro.
    During my stay I was using it only it was attached to a machine which I wasn't allowed to take home :lol: ButI was told just put it in the fridge to keep it cold.
    I find that's good. Did you not get anything like that?
    Love
    Hileena
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Grace,

Well done you for coming through with flying colours!

I was sent home with the cuff-thing, like Hileena above. I still have it and it comes in very useful for flare-days though it must cost the NHS a lot of money to supply them for each patient. :shock:

Keep trying the exercises which will get easier when your staples come out.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • GraceB
    Options
    Hileena & Legs,

Thanks for the support. They used a Cyro Cuff in the hospital but only thing I was given by the hospital to take home were the anticoagulant tablets, spare dressings, paperwork (for me & GP) and the dreaded staple extractor. :roll:

The Cyro Cuff in the hospital I was in sounds exactly as you both describe. I had to fill it with the ice & water from the reservoir every hour, leave it filled for about 20 minutes and then empty it. It was very effective. But then although my operation was paid for by the NHS, it was done at a private hospital.

Peas are busy again and I'm keeping my leg as elevated as I can.

GraceB
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Good for you Grace! I didn't get dressings nor the staple extractor, it shows what a difference six years makes!

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    I don't think its the 6 years. Mine was done less than 3 months ago and I didn't get a staple extractor or dressings either
    I think it must be the area.

Love
    Hileena
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Glad that you're home and all went well, hope the recovery period goes smoothly too.

Deb xx
  • Sars4185
    Sars4185 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Glad things went fine with the operation and hope you have a speedy recovery. You should have been measured for TED stockings , you could ask the nurse to remeasure you . Keep those peas in stock ! How are you with pain ? Are you on to of it ?
    Take care
    Sara
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    HI Grace
    So pleased that you are home. That first shower is bliss no matter how short it is! The hair wash makes you feel more human :)
    It is good that you can see the nurse soon an ask about the TEDs. After my 2nd THR my TED was definitely trapping the swelling above the knee, and I bet that is very painful and annoying after TKR.
    Take care xx
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello! I don't know how I missed your post, I apologise. I am pleased to read that you are back home and I hope that things are going as well as possible for you, there is nothing better than being back in your own surroundings and bed (even if you can't sleep too well). I understand that the temperature may be dropping somewhat over the next few days so I hope you have your thermals to hand! Keep warm and well-hydrated. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    Options
    Hi thanks for the replies. Sorry it's been a few days since I replied but it's been exhausting just coping with keeping myself clean, myself and the cat fed, and getting my physio exercises in and ice packs on. I've got into the pattern of having an afternoon rest and I'm usually back in bed by about 8pm as I'm shattered.

Dressing change was done on Monday. Wound clean and the nurse said I was doing well. I've just done another change here and wound still clean. The nurse asked what my job was, where it was, etc. When I explained she said there was no way I'd be back to work at 6 weeks and to expect to be off between 8-12 weeks. Now I have to update work, so they are prepared!

Nurse said the TED stockings are trapping the swelling but I'm in the right size - and yes, I am still wearing the flaming things!

My leg is still horrendously swollen. My neighbour Dee who fed my cat for me when I was in hospital brought my keys back on Wednesday and she said the thought my leg was slightly less swollen. She saw it when I came home so has a direct comparison. I obviously can't see the change myself, but it's reassuring that Dee spotted this.

I got my ice packs and they are helping a bit. I'm making sure to do my exercises as best as I can - 20 minutes after pain meds go in.

I'm back on my medication for my hot flushes as I just couldn't cope with them any longer. At least I know I still need those particular meds!

I'll update again over the weekend.

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Of course it's exhausting, Grace. Pleas - no apologies for absence. You are doing brilliantly. I was utterly spoilt after all my ops by, first, my Mum and, later (when he'd retired), Mr SW. You are flying solo and doing a great job.

I'm rather glad you won't be rushing back to work. Such effort demands a reasonable amount of time to reap the rewards

I have no advice. You don't need it. But maybe a few ((( )))s.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi Grace,

It sounds as though your knee is doing things by the book so don't worry about it. We're only just over a week down the line and when you consider what it's been through I'm glad it read the book first! :wink: You also have to consider what it was like before you had the operation so it is a total turn around in a few hours of surgery!

The swelling will gradually go down each day as tissues heal and things get back to normal. Soon you'll be doing things and you'll think I couldn't do that a few days ago as you slip back into automatic mode. :D

It sounds as though you're doing exactly as you should so keep up the good work!

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindamay
    lindamay Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Glad to hear things are heading in the right direction. I had same problem with low blood pressure when I had my hip done end of November. They gave me a full annaesthetic and they said it took me longer than normal to come round after the op. I passed out in bathroom at home 2 weeks after the op. My husband kept me supplied with ice packs for a couple of weeks, bless him for running around and looking after me so well. Just persevere with the physio, but not too much, little and often. Cold weather not helping me at the moment. You will get there in the end.
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks for your lovely replies.

My neighbour Maureen (when I went into her today for a coffee) said she thought my leg swelling was down a little as well. Encouraging.

Tomorrow is the dreaded day for the staples to come out. :roll: Not looking forward to it but it's got to be done. I can feel the staples pulling now. So that's 10.40am (double appointment). After that, I can have a coffee, more meds and ice packs and a bit of lunch before I'm out again for my first post-op physio appointment at 1pm. Think I'll spend the rest of the afternoon on my recliner flaked out!

Think tomorrow will involve a lot of pain meds and deep breathing on my part! I'll update again tomorrow night.

GraceB
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Grace it will be fine. They do sting a little but that's all, I promise. It will be a great relief for you because they're tightening up now.

I know it'll be alright and not as you're thinking.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'll be on my way to rheumatology then but I will think of you: it's not my favourite part by a long chalk. :( ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I hope it goes well, Grace. I'm sure it will. Mine always has done, even the time when I got a very nervous student nurse who'd never done it before :shock: (We encouraged each other :lol: ) As Legs says, you'll feel better for getting rid of them.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the encouragement.

Staples came out this morning as planned - there were 20 in total. Five of them hurt when coming out but the rest were okay. Wound is dressed to allow the staple holes to seal. I can take the dressing off Wednesday morning.

Physio was okay. She managed to get my knee to nearly 75 degree bend although it was extremely difficult. The swelling is stopping the bend going any further - and the post-op pain of course. Physio recommended I elevate the leg higher in order to reduce the swelling and I've done that this afternoon. I go back for more physio next Monday. Some of the exercises have been adjusted to allow for my dodgy left ankle as I've not got a lot of movement in that thanks to the subtalar damage there.

Am still extremely limited re what I can do but I've accepted it's the "norm" for now.

As I expected, a very tiring day so I'll be off to bed soon but I wanted to update you all.

GraceB