Hello again

petals
petals Member Posts: 217
edited 8. Aug 2017, 10:48 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone, I've been a member on here for a few years but as I have been away for some time, I just thought I would re introduce myself. I have had RA for the past 7 yrs and along with everyone else, I ride the roller coaster that us RA.

I hope you are all ok and keep on keeping on.

Petals X

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Petals,

Just wanted to say welcome back, it's lovely to see you posting.

I hope your return isn't because of a turn for the worse health wise though I'm sure we can help if it is (and even if it isn't)

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's lovely to hear from you again, I hope you are as well as possible but if not I hope we can help. DD
  • petals
    Thanks Yvonne and Daisy,

I am not too bad at present but I have just started a new job and I am definitely feeling the strain. I am not sure if I will be able to stick at it but I will give it a blooming good try.
    The trouble is, I haven't told my new employer that I have RA so I am hoping I won't need to take any sick leave in the near future.

I know, honesty is the best policy, but not in this case. I have emigrated and am now living in a nice warm climate, which is great for my joints. Unfortunately, when I applied for jobs, as soon as they read about my RA on application forms, that was the last I heard from them. So, after a year of getting nowhere, I just kept quiet and hey presto I got a job.

Once it takes its toll, I expect I will be on here moaning like heck. Ha ha, in the mean time I am enjoying my new life in my new country and I actually have some money to spend

Xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,101
    Hey, welcome back and well done!

I remember your long struggle for P.I.P. so it must have been very daunting to give it up and search for work albeit in a warmer, kinder-to-joints country. I don't think many would have the courage to take that leap in the dark and I do hope it continues to work for you. Would you be eligible for a similar benefit to P.I.P. if the arthritis doesn't play ball? Let's hope you never have to find out :D
  • petals
    Hi Stickywicket

How nice of you to remember me.

Yes the nightmare that was PIP. How could I forget that?

Here in Australia you have to be resident for 10 yrs before you are entitled to sickness benefits, so giving it up when I left the UK was indeed a big risk.

On the other hand, I have received excellent care for my arthritis.

We have walk in centres for things like X-rays where you simply join the queue and wait your turn. If you need a CT scan you usually need an appointment but it will be done within the week and results are handed to the patient the next day with a copy going electronically to the GP. All X-rays and scans are free of charge though I do have to pay to see my rheumatologist and I have to travel about 60 miles to see him as I live in a country town. I have had one bad flare up since I arrived here almost 2 yrs ago whereas I used to flare every couple of months (at least) in UK

I am prescribed the same drugs as I had in the UK, methotrexate and plaquenil and folic acid. I pay about $6 (£3.75) for my methx but I get 6 months supply for that so it's very cheap.

My new job is very interesting, but it means I am on my feet for more hrs than I am comfortable with. I have also enrolled on a course in disability care which I am completing alongside my job so my day is very long and exhausting at the moment, but,in 8 weeks time I will be a qualified care assistant. Once I get my certificate I will look for work in community health and leave my current job.

My partner has a good job which he really enjoys so it's all good.

Emotionally and financially it has cost us a lot to move here but Australia is a beautiful country and I feel very privileged to live here.
    Petals xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,101
    I love your positive attitude. Australia is about as far as you can go without a space rocket :wink: and it must have been quite a terrifying leap into the dark. I'm so glad it seems to be working out well for you. Long may that continue.

Who's Online

5 Guests