Me and the Personal Trainer.

Options

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you, Slosh, and there is no need to apologise for not keeping up - it's lovely to hear from you. I am off again today and determined to do more than last time and, hopefully, a little quicker too. :shock: 10.15 is kick-off so probably too early for a burger after although TK MAXX is not too far away . . . . :wink:

Grace, today I shall be wearing my biggest (and fakest) bling with one exception (which I shall scrub with a toothbrush and some Fairy to bring up the sparkle - these shall be required: 8) )

Right, as the Goons once said 'Forward in all directions!' DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Another reasonably successful session followed by the burger and a two hour deep sleep on the sofa. DD

:animal_busy:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Today I went at 6pm (not a natural time for me to get going with anything) and managed 40 minutes of steady activity: cross-trainer, exercise bike, walk, treadmill, walk and a final but short blast on the cross-trainer. Crikey. DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You are amazing!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you but you are far too kind! Believe you me, my sessions take sedate to a whole new level but somehow, on this visit, I managed to turn every machine I used on which was not in my master plan (they actually registered that someone was using them!) As soon as they are woken up they get all narky about having certain buttons pressed and targets entered. Honestly. :roll: Ren was jumping about with excitement pointing out how far I had gone, how many calories I was burning blah blah blah. I told her I couldn't give a monkey's and I don't. I want to improve my muscle strength and physical stamina, if other stuff happens too then so be it but weight loss is not an aim. DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Good to hear things are progressing well DD.

You said there were "tattooed, muscly blokes" in the gym. You never said if they were good looking though, did you? I realise you are happily married to Mr DD, but there's no harm in looking at the scenery!

Just keep pacing yourself. And I hope your trainer managed to get all the machines turned off after you'd gone round switching them all on like that. I've heard of trying to distract those in authority, but I think that may be taking things a bit too far! :lol::lol:

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Crikey! Even exercise machines are getting turned on by your presence. This is brave new world territory which is fully merited. I am very pleased but not surprised that you are doing so well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I thought I would update for those who have been following my progress (thank you, each and every one).

I had a week off in the first week of January because we had a trip to London: my gym exercise then was very pleasant as it involved far too long in Selfridges and the spending (as opposed to shedding) of many pounds in Georg Jensen. We also saw Stomp which was incredible and set me wondering whether I would soon be able to somersault from a standing start whilst bashing dustbin lids together in a rhythmical fashion. :D I then had another period of time off due to the barbed wire, sandpaper and golf ball but they've nearly gone, hurrah! Ren came yesterday.

I hurt but in a rather more pleasant way than usual (if I tell myself that often enough then it will become believable). I did one walk around the shorter and less hilly of the choice of blocks around No.10, then many stretches on the floor plus leg raises. Next week I am being left to my own devices ( I have set two targets, viz three walks with or without The Spouse and at least one set of floor work) then it's back to the gym on the 23rd with Ren to officially join the august organisation. The cost will be £15.99 per month (which is considerably cheaper than her) but we are not going to lose touch: she gives me the inspiration, I need her to buck me up and she's worth the splurge. She says I am ready to fly solo but she hasn't reckoned with my inner sloth (who is never far away and hides when she is about). DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    We also saw Stomp which was incredible and set me wondering whether I would soon be able to somersault from a standing start whilst bashing dustbin lids together in a rhythmical fashion. :D

Oh yes please :D

As for your 'inner sloth' - even sloths manage to hang upside down for hours from tree branches. A feat in itself, surely?

Well done, again, DD. I'm truly impressed.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, the time had to come. Yup, I've bought some of the more proper (for proper read colourful) attire so at least I will look the part.

I've noticed, as I have wandered round the gym that, despite looking clean, neat and tidy I was distinctly 'camouflaged' in my various shades of black, grey and navy - lack of body confidence or what? I am now as brightly coloured as the rest, good old Sainsbriz! :D I have also had to invest in some terrrifically scaffolded and upholstered sports bras. Yesterday we were in town and I found a shiny, pink and glorious-if-you-are-eight backpack in the sales: that'll do, I thought, for lugging stuff. Joy of joys it was further reduced at the till.

I'm off next Wednesday at 10.30 to meet my PT and to formally join the gym. If you had told me a year ago I would have snorted with laughter. I still can't quite believe it. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You're sounding more confident and not needing to melt into the background. That's great and progress in itself. You dazzle 'em, woman :D

Now, I confess, I speed-read your post originally and I had to re-read the bit where you write

dreamdaisy wrote:
    I have also had to invest in some terrrifically scaffolded and upholstered sports bras. Yesterday we were in town and I found a shiny, pink and glorious-if-you-are-eight backpack in the sales: that'll do, I thought, for lugging stuff.

For a moment there I thought the back pack was - somehow - in lieu of the sports bra. I wasn't quite sure how that'd work so I went back and re-read it more slowly. It now makes much more sense but the image lingers :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Personal trainer? Gym? I've been away longer than I realised!! :lol:
    Wow DD, what an achievement.
    Do the stretches and leg raises on the floor involve you sitting/laying on the floor? If so how on earth do you get up again? I must say I admire your resolve :D
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I had a rather active summer last year (due to Mr DD stopping work) and wanted to maintain and develop the progress I had unwittingly made, hence the PT. I wanted privacy plus one-to-one and she gives both. Neither the getting down or getting up is the prettiest of sights. :lol: Down is a straightforward yet controlled (hah!) collapse whereas the reverse is far more complicated.

1. I shuffle back towards the closest sofa.
    2. I say 'Ooooof'.
    3. Elbows are placed upon the seat cushion.
    4. I say 'Ooooooof!'
    5. I then raise my mid-section to the horizontal, dip my bottom and combine arms and legs in a 'walking backwards' move, going 'AAAAAAAAAAAGH!' until I can lift my bottom to catch the edge of the seat. A short rest is involved during the utterment of expletives such as 'Oh bother' and 'Crikey!' :wink:
    6. The final shuffles are accomplished until I am flopped and gasping on the furniture like a landed fish.

I am sure that my use of walking aids has preserved a good degree of flexibility in my hips which has given me a head start: on the first session the PT and me were both amazed that, despite my girth, I could touch my toes without bending my legs.

It's a nice afternoon here so I am going to wrap up and go for a walk around the block: no roly, no sticks, no nuffin', just me and my muscles. I took two cocos around ninety minutes ago so this is the optimum moment! DD
  • Slosh
    Options
    Touch your toes! I was never able to do this even when I was young, fit and slim. I'm not even going to attempt it now.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    Options
    Personally DD I think you are showing off your physical prowess! And putting the rest of us to shame ...

Seriously, well done for continuing with your keep fit regime. The fact that it's helping your mobility is wonderful. And I'm very envious. :mrgreen:

I have to admit to using a very similar process on the very odd occasion the last few years I've had to sit on the floor. Mind you, I haven't attempted it since I've had my second knee done.

GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Please do your utmost to keep yourself vertical, Grace, that's of paramount importance.

I am very surprised at what I have managed to do but over the past twenty years I have tried to keep myself as mobile as possible: the benefits of that are astonishing both him and me. I remember the first challenge I was given when she arrived, 'We are going to walk to the park gates and back with no aids.' 'No we're not!' I exclaimed in horror. We compromised in that she rolled the closed rollator - my metallic security blanket. She cajoled, encouraged and praised: I grunted, moaned and said thank you. I didn't make it to the gates but I got close enough. This was my first unaided walk in years and my muscles were shaken, stirred and whizzed through a blender; I cried with a mixture of pain, relief, surprise and terror.

It's taken me years to find the courage to tackle exercising: my PT is struggling with the concept that I have no targets or aims and I don't, if one day I cannot do what I achieved with ease before it won't matter. For me not reaching a target = failure and there's already enough of that when living with arthritis, yes?

I will be going for an unaided walk later, down to the local garden centre, because I want some fruit cake. :D DD
  • Slosh
    Options
    You are an inspiration DD.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, that is so kind but completely unwarranted. If my chronicle gives someone the encouragement to try something new that's pleasing and I shall carry on telling it how it is for me. I haven't lost any weight, pain levels are still as they were plus occasionally different and higher, I am not sleeping any better i.e. all the classic improvements one is supposed to notice are passing me by but so what? I'm starting from a disadvantage and will always be disadvantaged but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be doing something to try and improve my overall condition.

The new bag and kit will be broken out on Wednesday morning, I'm meeting my PT at 10.30 at the gym. She has plans to get me lifting weights. :shock: I think I shall start with feather pillows . . . :wink: DD
  • GraceB
    Options
    DD - you do make me smile!

I suspect your trainer will hide some weights in your feather pillows. :lol:

And I hope the new gym gear is everything you expect it to be. I'm sure you'll look very "on-trend"!

GraceB
  • AnnaLowe
    AnnaLowe Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Have enjoyed reading your chronicles DD. Most inspiring! Will tune in again for an update soon!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Right, after a long break I saw her again on Tuesday with the aim of kick-starting myself back into the physical action I was doing. It worked.

Yesterday we went to the dental hygienist first thing, then walked to the pub for breakfast (not far, admittedly, but it was done). We then went to a local market town to catch up with friends and do some shopping. I did the whole day with no aids (apart from occasionally lightly leaning on Him Indoors for a little support). On arrival he said 'What do you want?' I replied 'Nothing, not yet.' They stayed in the car.

I feel a great sense of achievement, yes there is payback at the moment but at least it's there for a good reason. DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Well done DD. All that hard work is paying off, even with payback. I'm trying to work up the courage to try a local gym.......but the thought of all the slim young things effortlessly doing stuff I'll never achieve is off putting! :oops:

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, dibdab, you are very kind. I don't mind the slim young things - these glory days won't last for them as they didn't last for us. :D

I don't find the weights area at the gym such a pleasant environment so I am going to invest in a set to use at home. There's no rush though, I need to sort out shoe storage first . . . . :roll: Today is the home workout of housework, laundry and preparing a meal for guests tonight, the first thing I've cooked since last June. :shock: What is an oven? Where is the casserole kept? How do I use a peeler? :lol: DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    preparing a meal for guests tonight, the first thing I've cooked since last June. :shock: What is an oven? Where is the casserole kept? How do I use a peeler? :lol: DD
    You've missed out the most important question - Where's the nearest M&S?!
    Anybody'd think you were trying to prove something Daisy Dearest.....
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, I managed to cobble something together which was edible, hurrah! Today, however, is a challenging one thanks to the inevitable payback for the past two days' activity. Do I regret it? Not at all, it would be better if I didn't feel quite so poorly with it but as it's self-inflicted moaning is not an option. I made choices, this is the result, serves me right. :)

I'm using my Yoga book, I wish I knew how to use it better, I guess I need practice. DD