Me and the Personal Trainer.

Options
13»

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD, it's lovely to hear you are continuing to move around as much as you can. Brilliant in fact!

As for going shopping without any aids - I think that is wonderful progress. And what are Husbands for if not for linking arms with them whilst out walking? It's romantic if nothing else! :lol: And cooking again. Blimey - there's no holding you back now, is there?

I hope that the gym workouts don't give you too many problems in the way of payback.

Take care.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thank you, Grace, the payback is finally easing and I have once more hung up my apron: result! Mr DD enjoys cooking, I don't, so as he is now at various loose ends it makes sense for him to do it, no? Sadly the same doesn't apply to laundry, ironing, dusting and vacuuming, I remain those fairies but those activities exercise various bits of me and that is a good thing.

I cannot say that any of this exercise campaign has been easy but it has been better than I anticipated. I remain convinced that using the aids in the way that I have and for so long has made a difference in preserving my overall abilities, I am fortunate in that I am not, and have never been, dependent upon them and I want to keep it that way until the toll of age really hits. It's common sense that the right kind of exercise will assist us in day-to-day living, that we have to help ourselves as the medical profession remains sadly deficient in what it can do (although things are improving) but once the damage is done it cannot be undone, it can only be managed.

I've often said I am fortunate in that I have never known good health and I believe it. My good days probably equate to a healthy one's bad (I wonder what a healthy one's off day feels like? I probably wouldn't be able to cope with the unalloyed joy of feeling so good) but why hanker after the unobtainable? My limited energies are better used in a more positive and productive way, to make the best of what I have. Thursday was a revelation - to know that I can, no matter how infrequently, is a huge boost to morale.

Right, I'm off to exercise some more by showering, dressing, changing the bed, tidying up and planning where to plant some interesting lilies: my not fancying doing any of that is neither here-nor-there. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    DD, in the depths of my memory I seem to remember that a few years ago you invested in a wheelchair. Am I right? If so look at how far you've come.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good memory there, Slosh! Yes indeed I did, a travel one and it lives in storage in a spare bedroom. I also bought an electric scooter last September which has only once been used in anger. I fully accept the only way is down, and things will get worse because better is not an option, but I'm prepared to keep myself as mobile as possible with or without the kit. It's like having a spare couple of pints in the fridge: the knowledge it's there is a comfort.

I will not, however, be returning my BB. Not on your (or my) Nellie. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    It's always good to have back up. As for BB's they are invaluable.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich