Newly Diaganosed.

Options

Comments

• bluejay6497
    bluejay6497 Member Posts: 56
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hobble :) I would be lost also if I hadn't found this site. Everyone as been so kind and reassuring and I am extremely grateful to them all. :) I have found it to be a very scary situation to be in when first diaganosed and have lots of question to ask. I am due to take my 2nd injection of MTX on Friday and I'm hoping and praying that I won't have any side effects. The first one went ok. :)
  • Hobble
    Hobble Member Posts: 83
    Options
    Glad the first injection went ok :)
    I take my last mxt tablets today and start mine in two weeks.

Hope the second injection goes ok too

Hobble
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Hi Hobble I will keep you updated on the 2nd Injection. I can't deny that I am worried about it, but I also know that I have to try and cope with it. Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on with yours. :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello bluejay, I hope that the second one went as well as the first - did you do it? What arrangements are being made for you re. being supplied with the methotrexate? Like dibdab I receive a regular delivery from a company called Healthcare at Home which makes life very simple. When I first began the injections they were syringes and I had to go weekly to rheumatology - believe me that was a bind!

I must keep remembering that you, Hobble and MartynP are new to this: it's second nature to me which won't help you three, will it? DD

a110.gif

PS More unusual decorations arrived today, I now have a beautiful glass bumble bee, a slice of cake (complete with silver fork), a cockatiel on a perch, a cactus with furry bits and a vintage car. My tree is a picture!
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Hi DD had the 2nd injection 4.15pm this afternoon I did it myself :) so i'm back to waiting to see what happens. hopefully it will be fine. :) That tree of yours sounds amazing wish i could see it. :) I'm cheating this year and have my fibre optic one out. At least it looks a bit like Christmas. :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Firstly, many heartfelt congratulations on doing your own injection - it is a huge step to make so well done on doing it. c015.gif

Secondly, I sincerely hope that all will be well - keep reminding yourself that last week was fine and think positively about the coming days. When are you next having your bloods taken?

Thirdly, the new decs have been installed with others moved around to make room. I don't know how to post pics on the forum which may come as a relief to all and sundry! DD

d098.gif

PS I have sent you a private message (PM) - I don't know how familiar you are with forums but the notification is at the top of the board with Logout, User Control Panel and Forum.
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Hi DD I sent e mail.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, how has today gone? I hope all is as well as possible. DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Well done on doing the injection, the first one is always an enormous hurdle. Hope that today has been a good one, and that you enjoy Christmas just as you want to spend it. Take good care of yourself, you absolutely can give yourself permission to do stuff at a pace that suits you, and to build in time to rest while others help with the heavy stuff. Sending hugs and lots of positive thoughts your way.
    ((((((( :) )))))))

Deb xxx
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Hi things are looking ok so far medication wise no major problems. :) Didn't have such a good night though lots of pain and fidgeting trying to get comfy. Just dragged my sorry **** out of bed now and feeling really stiff and sore. :( I'm hoping it will get better as the day goes on. Going to my sons house later to drop of presents and see my beautiful granddaughter. :) she is only 4 so looking forward to santa coming. :) Did manage to put up a few lights in doors yesterday so it looks a bit more festive. Dogs are all set for tomorrow with there stockings hung up :) Hubby will be doing the cooking tomorrow, but he does that anyway. :) So all in all things are as good as i can hope for. I hope you all have a fantastic day tomorrow and get lots of nice presents. Merry Christmas and gentle hugs. BJ x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, I hope all is going well and I will be thinking of you tomorrow: have you had a delivery yet (unlikely given the time of year) or do you need to go back to the hospital? Anyhoo, good luck! DD
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Hi DD did you have a good Christmas. I hope so :) Mine was nice and quiet saw my granddaughter on Christmas eve she is 4 and was soooo excited. LOL. Still in a lot of pain :( hands and shoulders at the moment. I am on my 3rd injection tomorrow of MTX just taken my Folic Acid. I have another 4 weeks supply so that will take me to my Rheumy appointment on 18th Jan Oh and I had my first Blood Test today after starting MTX. Hoping that comes back ok I have a bit of sore mouth at the moment and hope it doesn't get any worse. x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am glad that you enjoyed Christmas - four years old tots will cheer the glummest of hearts at any time but especially at this time of year. My inner four year old is now loving the sales - I've managed to find some excellent decorations but am regretting not buying the last glass Bakewell Tart in the shop. :(

I am sorry to hear that your mouth is feeling sore - in what way? I'm dealing with crumbling nails at the moment, one of the added benefits of psoriatic arthritis is dodgy skin and nails; two have broken off on the nail bed, ow! Ow! OW! :lol: DD
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Ohh DD that nail problem sounds awful how painful, it's as if we don't have enough pain to cope with just RA let alone these side effects as well. This is one of the reasons I didn't want to take any meds, it just all adds to our misery. :( I had a mouth ulcer last week on the tip of my tongue and I managed to get rid of that but now the whole of my tongue feels very sore. There's no ulcers it's just sore. :( Onto my 3rd MTX injection this afternoon not looking forward to it but I know it has to be done. x
  • Hobble
    Options
    Glad the second injection went well and hope yesterdays was just as successful.
    I used to use a lozenge called Dequadin for mouth ulcers and a sore mouth and even though it's becoming difficult to get hold of but if you can, it might help. Keep being told by the dentist to drink more and to use salt water rinses but can't bear the saltiness.

Hobble x
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Hi Hobble is Dequadin from the Dr or Pharmacy ? I am using corsadyl at the moment it is helping I rinse twice a day with it but I have to dilute it in a little water first or it stings to bad. :(
  • Hobble
    Options
    Hi bluejay
    Dequadin you can buy over the counter but I did get it on prescription many moons ago, not sure if they still prescribe it with all the changes etc. If you have trouble getting hold of some it might be worthing ringing your usual / local chemists to see if they can get hold of any from their suppliers.
    I do use the corsodyl dental gel for the ulcers when I can't get hold of the dequadin.

Hobble x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Judging the amount of salt to use as a mouth rinse or for soothing the skin is not an easy thing to do: my Ma reckoned on one teaspoon of salt to one pint of water so I adjust accordingly according to the amount being made up.

Keeping up a decent intake of fluids is important for so many aspects of health, always keep a bottle of water handy and sip it whether you want to or not! DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    How did today's injection go? I am not taking mine at the moment due to a vile sore throat. :( DD
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Oh no so sorry DD I hate a sore throat at the best of times. Are you taking anything for it. I hope you feel better real soon and look after yourself. I did the injection as usual but the first pen i used jammed so it was useless :( luckily I have some more and the second was fine. I phoned the Dr and told them and they have ordered another one for me to be collected on Monday. First blood test last week was ok i think. They did say i had raised white blood cells but didn't seem to concerned about it. I have the next BT on 11th. Then rheumy appointment on 17th. I am still in a lot of pain and wish the MTX would start to work.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for replying, today is worse than yesterday but no matter. I forgot to do my humira on Tuesday which, on reflection, is fortunate. As for helping it, copious amounts of hot tea and the occasional Strepsil are the order of the day. My temperature is slightly raised (I know what my normal is which is useful at times like this), there's no cough or sniffles so far but they may be lurking: I don't know and don't care. :) I am still in bed, keeping warm and comfy whilst The Spouse acts as my tea wallah. :wink:

I have never found that meth reduced my pain levels but I began everything far too late so joint damage was well underway. Your situation is different and I hope things are soon under better control - and that you can feel a difference. DD
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Hi DD how is that sore throat and high temperature doing. ? I hope your starting to feel better by now. x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, how lovely of you to ask after me, that's cheered me up! I am feeling better today so this morning ventured out for some fresh air and further aided my recovery by buying some cheese from Jimmy's Farm and pretty things from a local food hall. I had plans for the afternoon but decided I would be better if they were abandoned. :wink:

I am due to do my humira tomorrow but probably won't, the same for the meth later this week. Things are better but not right - I don't want to set myself back. DD
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Hi DD really glad you are feeling better and that you managed to get out and do a little shopping. :) How do you get on about your RA if you don't take the meds ? just wondering because i did hear somewhere not to take the meds if your ill. It's all still a bit confusing for me at the moment. But any way gentle hugs and don't over do it. x speak soon.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis which affects the joints differently to RA but the meds are the same for all kinds of auto-immune inflammatory arthritis. My hospital (a teaching one) told me at the very beginning not to take the immuno-suppressant medications when poorly as they would allow infections to really get a hold and potentially become very serious - who needs that? Because our immune system is reduced we don't know that we are ill because we don't produce symptoms as quickly as those who are not on such medication. Others, however, do not tell their patients this and I do not know why.

To me it's common sense, we need our immune systems to fight infections but ours turn against us for no apparent reason so have to be suppressed to reduce disease activity. The meds build in the system so going without for a couple of weeks or more isn't too bad arthritis-wise: being off them for longer, however, is not so good.

You are in the early days so please seek clarification from your rheumatology unit about stopping the meth should you begin a sore throat or sneezing, have an upset stomach, start a cold sore etc. I always have but with my hospital's blessing - I even used to tell them when and why I stopped and restarted but now don't bother. It's also worth getting to know what your normal temperature is, I run at between 35 and 36 so anything over the latter means I could be in trouble so must be careful and sensible. DD