Herbal medication for Rheumatoid Arthritis

Options
frank50
frank50 Member Posts: 28
edited 6. Jul 2018, 07:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just been diagnosed with RA to the knees,writs and fingers and had my first steroid shot but today painful in the wrists and fingers and was wondering if turmeric or ginger or any herbal meds are good for this condition. Im 50 years old and this has all came as a shock to the system and my doctor has prescribed me Tramadol which makes me feel nauseous. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello again, if you have RA then the answer is no, they will do nothing as the arthritis is caused by an over-active immune system. Disease activity can only be reduced by drugs such a methotrexate, leflunomide or other DMARDs which suppress the immune system. These are prescribed by a rheumatologist, not a GP. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frank50
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello again, if you have RA then the answer is no, they will do nothing as the arthritis is caused by an over-active immune system. Disease activity can only be reduced by drugs such a methotrexate, leflunomide or other DMARDs which suppress the immune system. These are prescribed by a rheumatologist, not a GP. DD
    Hi dreamdaisy thank you for your responce.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    as DD said they wont help RA , & if you have RA be very careful with over the counter meds as some interact with the perscription drugs

some foods will make RA worse , it varies from person to person , some its gluten & others fruit like the deadly night shade ie: tomatoes & berrys (strawberry & grapes & oranges ) but never found any foods that make RA better

none of us like taking the meds but sometimes there is no option
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,459
    Options
    The power of the internet! Strange how the same questions keep coming up or is it people grabbing at straw in the fervant hope of a cure?
  • frank50
    Options
    Thanks for the reply trepolpen. I dont believe everything I read on the net so thats why I asked the question. Alot of people do state omega 3 being helpfull tho.. whats your thoughts on this?
    trepolpen wrote:
    as DD said they wont help RA , & if you have RA be very careful with over the counter meds as some interact with the perscription drugs

some foods will make RA worse , it varies from person to person , some its gluten & others fruit like the deadly night shade ie: tomatoes & berrys (strawberry & grapes & oranges ) but never found any foods that make RA better

none of us like taking the meds but sometimes there is no option

• dreamdaisy
    Options
    Both. When new to disease you believe that it can't be happening to you, that it can be cured because we are in the 21st century and you are completely innocent about the reality of living with such a destructive condition. People 'research' with no in-depth knowledge (who needs that? The net is renowned for its veracity :lol: ) and understandably fall for the guff of the charlatans, the peddlers and spinners of tales and yarns about how you too can be cured by giving them your money. The net has its uses but accuracy and truth is not its USP. DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    There is a very natural and understandable tendency to 'see' the answers and facts we want, and unfortunately the internet will have an accumulator effect on that by analysing what you are looking at and then feeding you more of the same. The other difficulty is that sorting out fact from wishful thinking, coincidence, marketing, or whatever, does require not only quite a bit of effort but also in some cases a certain amount of knowledge about, for instance, what constitutes a clinical trial, sample size, significant results. It is also likely to involve reading less digestible articles from academic sources.
    The advent of cut and paste 'scientific' writing/journalism which enables those who haven't a clue to feed nonsense to millions in a way which looks credible(aided and abetted by poor levels of science education) is very unhelpful to those genuinely trying to help themselves by finding out as much as they can.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Try here, Frank.

https://tinyurl.com/ya3b6uxn

https://tinyurl.com/yd6egwgz

They are both pages from Arthritis Research UK which is a very reliable site. As one page says, it's a minefield. And, as the other page says, there's little evidence for most things despite the fact they don't score highly on safety :?

If you do decide to try anything don't take it instead of DMARDS as they really do help to check the progress of the disease. Also, if you decide to take anything, check with your pharmacist that it won't interact with any other prescribed or over-the-counter meds you're taking.

Along with many others, i can't take tramadol either. There are other pain-relieving options but always take them with a little food to protect the stomach.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,459
    Options
    Just a suggestion for AC, start a new page with questions from older posts that get asked a lot to save the searching and repeat, might save some time and effort?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I've thought that many a time, Airwave, but I don't think it'd work. For a start there'd be too many topics. Also, I think people, especially newbies, like personal replies. If they didn't then most of the info is actually available just be going through the top menu.
    Steven Wright
  • frank50
    Options
    Try here, Frank.

https://tinyurl.com/ya3b6uxn

https://tinyurl.com/yd6egwgz

They are both pages from Arthritis Research UK which is a very reliable site. As one page says, it's a minefield. And, as the other page says, there's little evidence for most things despite the fact they don't score highly on safety :?

If you do decide to try anything don't take it instead of DMARDS as they really do help to check the progress of the disease. Also, if you decide to take anything, check with your pharmacist that it won't interact with any other prescribed or over-the-counter meds you're taking.

Along with many others, i can't take tramadol either. There are other pain-relieving options but always take them with a little food to protect the stomach.
    Thanks stickey

• dreamdaisy
    Options
    The natural instinct is to ask questions because a direct answer is wanted. It's just like being a teacher, Airwave, you cover the same ground again and again as every intake comes to it all afresh.

I guess I was lucky because I came to the forum after nearly ten years of dealing with arthritic rubbish, was used to it, wasn't necessarily that surprised by its arrival and had experienced plenty of ill-health in the way of preparation. We might be old hands, have tried the meds (and maybe the pointless alternative meds too), know what helps or hinders us but newbies? Surely the forum is about communication, I know that many read posts which perhaps helps them but doesn't help those who are new to it all. DD
  • frank50
    Options
    Many thanks to everyone the replied to my post, very glad I came on board. I will keep yeall updated on my journey..Cheers
  • frank50
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    The natural instinct is to ask questions because a direct answer is wanted. It's just like being a teacher, Airwave, you cover the same ground again and again as every intake comes to it all afresh.

I guess I was lucky because I came to the forum after nearly ten years of dealing with arthritic rubbish, was used to it, wasn't necessarily that surprised by its arrival and had experienced plenty of ill-health in the way of preparation. We might be old hands, have tried the meds (and maybe the pointless alternative meds too), know what helps or hinders us but newbies? Surely the forum is about communication, I know that many read posts which perhaps helps them but doesn't help those who are new to it all. DD
    Hi DD
    Looks like my doctor will be using methorexate for my RA. As I have never used this before I have read good and bad stories about it ...more good than bad tho so fingers crossed it works for me. Has any of you guys tried this?

• stickywicket
    Options
    I've been taking it for 18 years along with hydroxychloroquine (many of us have to take two or three DMARDS) and it works very well indeed for me.

There are lots of scare stories about methotrexate but it was first used - and still is - as a component of chemotherapy treatment at much, much higher doses than the ones we take for arthritis. This is where the bad side effects are most likely to occur. I've had no problems other than the occasional day of fatigue either the day after I take it or the day after that.

We are continually monitored by blood tests while on it and they highlight any potential problems before they develop properly so do be assiduous with your blood tests. You'll also be given a small dose of folic acid to take to mitigate against any side effects. The dose varies enormously from one per week to six. I've always taken two.

I hope it works for you as well as it does for me.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Meth was my second DMARD, I didn't tolerate the tablet version version well in that I developed the skin rash which is a side-effect (it didn't hurt,. didn't itch, didn't bother me after years of eczema but bothered my rheumatologist) so that was changed for another tablet DMARD. I have been taking the injected version for around nine years now and have no trouble with that.

The majority of people who will answer your posts, Frank, will have been there, done that, read the book, starred in the film and worn the Tshirt. Between us we will have swallowed and injected any drug you can name because we've been playing this game for years. Me and Sticky have long histories of auto-immune nonsense, she began arthritis before the meds were invented, I began long after but the treatment protocols have changed massively in the past ten years or so. GPs nowadays are better informed about auto-immune arthritis: quicker diagnosis leads to beginning the meds sooner which leads to better outcomes, I've seen that with my own eyes. Sadly those who are doing well on the meds probably assume everyone's arthritis is like theirs so they won't be along to encourage you, that's left to us for whom it was all too little and waaaay to late. :lol: DD
  • frank50
    Options
    Hi DD what is meth? sounds a bit scary.
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Meth was my second DMARD, I didn't tolerate the tablet version version well in that I developed the skin rash which is a side-effect (it didn't hurt,. didn't itch, didn't bother me after years of eczema but bothered my rheumatologist) so that was changed for another tablet DMARD. I have been taking the injected version for around nine years now and have no trouble with that.

The majority of people who will answer your posts, Frank, will have been there, done that, read the book, starred in the film and worn the Tshirt. Between us we will have swallowed and injected any drug you can name because we've been playing this game for years. Me and Sticky have long histories of auto-immune nonsense, she began arthritis before the meds were invented, I began long after but the treatment protocols have changed massively in the past ten years or so. GPs nowadays are better informed about auto-immune arthritis: quicker diagnosis leads to beginning the meds sooner which leads to better outcomes, I've seen that with my own eyes. Sadly those who are doing well on the meds probably assume everyone's arthritis is like theirs so they won't be along to encourage you, that's left to us for whom it was all too little and waaaay to late. [emoji38] DD

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Meth is a short-name used by some for Methotrexate Frank. It is also shortened to MTX.

Ellen
  • stickywicket
    Options
    But, if you try pronouncing MTX you'll see why we shorten it to meth instead. :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • frank50
    Options
    Silly me should have realized that oops.
    But, if you try pronouncing MTX you'll see why we shorten it to meth instead. :wink:

• daffy2
    Options
    Referring to MTX less likely to cause misunderstanding in the non-arthritis world(cos they won't have a clue!) than meth.....
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    :lol: When I was doing field social work 'meth' was the short word for methadone amongst the local illegal drug taking community :shock:

I also remember someone on here,(Was that skezier fellow veteran forum users???), saying it reminded them of meths as in the stuff alcoholics drink :lol:

Is that what you were meaning Daffy2?

Toni x
  • daffy2
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    :lol: When I was doing field social work 'meth' was the short word for methadone amongst the local illegal drug taking community :shock:

I also remember someone on here,(Was that skezier fellow veteran forum users???), saying it reminded them of meths as in the stuff alcoholics drink :lol:

Is that what you were meaning Daffy2?

Toni x
    To which can be added methamphetamine/crystal meth - which was the one I was thinking of.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Abbreviations are fraught with danger so wise of Frank to ask.

My pet hate is when I google ARUK and am offered Alzheimers Research. NOT YET.
    Steven Wright
  • frank50
    Options
    Abbreviations are fraught with danger so wise of Frank to ask.

My pet hate is when I google ARUK and am offered Alzheimers Research. NOT YET.
    Hi folx getting my second 120ml -3ml vial injection of Depo medrone today. Im goin to a Bbq later will it b ok to drink booze?