Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Feeling overwhelmed

Hi
Had most intense counciling session today over the phone . She was intense quite firm but I quess this has been building up to this. Waiting for a app with a rheumatologist . Councillor said I dont need to wait I know what I have arthritis in my joints. Just have to except it so hard unknown constant pain feeling shattered overwhelmed exhausted.
Trying to slow down and be gentle and compassionate to myself but struggling 😥
Thank you for listening
Tracie

Comments

• louisealicelouisealice Posts: 18

Hi Tracie,

so sorry to hear about your situation. Glad you have counselling to give you support. Though as you say can be emotionally draining in itself.

In my case, the diagnosis was a shock and took the ground from under my feet (3 years ago aged 49) .Later when I got on medication and stabilized, I realized that a part of my despair was the pain, the exhaustion and the lack of any refreshing sleep.

Don't beat yourself up, you are doing all the right things by saying slow down and be gentle.

I'd make one other suggestion: do something everyday no matter how small to give you pleasure - read a book, listen to a silly programme on the radio, set up Skype or Zoom and have a laugh with a friend. You need some spot of happiness or else you can feel that every day is just black.

Take care

Louise

• TracieTracie Posts: 30
    Thank you louise x
  • Airwave!Airwave! Posts: 2,252

The Chinese have a quaint saying, ‘every journey begins with the first step’ and it is so true for us, often what we need to do we don’t want to do, we do need to step forward though and take that first step.

good luck.

its a grin, honest!