Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

However your life is impacted by arthritis we want to understand more about you so that we can make sure we continue to develop our information, support and services such as the online community.

If you've not already, please take 5 -10 minutes to fill in our survey. All information you provide will remain anonymous and be treated in the strictest confidence. TAKE OUR SURVEY

Shielding and Vitamin D.

dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭
edited 29. May 2020, 11:34 in Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I have been shielding for sometime now, and have more time to come. Yes, it has been sunny and yes, I am fortunate to have a garden but it has not been that warm outside so I have resumed my Vitamin D plus calcium tablets to help maintain my bone health. I buy them from Sainsbury's and will keep taking them on a regular basis during this period of necessary indoor living.

I must make it clear that this is a decision made off my own bat, no-one has told me to do it. To me it is common sense as I am not getting my usual levels of sunshine and even when the weather warms up I will halve the dose and take it every alternate day just to help things along. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
Tagged:

Comments

• I too take a daily vitamin D tablet as I've read that it can help the immune system. I can't spend too long in the sun as it brings me out in a rash. I also take omega 3 supplements as they are anti-inflammatory.

• Mike1Mike1 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭

I have been taking a multi-vitamin for years as my food intake isn't brilliant as I cannot peel and prepare fresh veg or meat so rely on ready meals a lot. This is from the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

Coronavirus update

Consider taking 10 micrograms of vitamin D a day to keep your bones and muscles healthy.

This is because you may not be getting enough vitamin D from sunlight if you’re indoors most of the day.

There have been some news reports about vitamin D reducing the risk of coronavirus. However, there is no evidence that this is the case.

Do not buy more vitamin D than you need.

• Yes, I too have heard that taking Vitamin D will help to keep bones and muscles healthy. As we are in a heatwave at the moment and the sun is shining that is a good source of Vitamin D but remember to always use high factor sun screen and wear a sun hat and glasses and drink lots of fluids to prevent dehydration.

• I too take vitamin D as advised by my GP a while ago as I had a deficiency. I did stop at one time but then I had to restart it so now I take it all the time come rain or shine and I think it helps 😎

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.