tkr/Elna

annmary
annmary Member Posts: 18
edited 1. Jun 2009, 03:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Elna
i have had to open a new thread as cannot seem to add onto yours for last couple of days.
I was wincing when you were describing yr exercises as i know the effort you have to put into them!
You seem to be getting on really well, especially with lifting yr leg up from the bed. I could and still cannot do this, so am really training within my limits on the bike to get those thigh muscles working!
The physio told me not to do this as i was really hurting and injured myself, but as my knee is on the mend i must ask if i can gently resume this.
How is the pain? Is it slowly going?
Is the walking getting there? Questions, Questions!

Best wishes
dilly

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hey dilly

Found your posting! Yes, quite often we cannot reply to threads. Most peculiar and annoying at times.

I am fine thanks. I have been doing my exercises and the pain is not too bad most of the time. I can get around walking fine, but still with the one crutch but sometimes I forget and take a couple of faltering steps. When I use the crutch to walk I try to remember not to lean to the right and put too much weight on the crutch but walk more upright and get my balance better. This is quite difficult and I have to think about it.

I find the exercises a little boring and try to do them 3 times a day but I should ideally be doing them a little more than that. I do find that once I settle to them and get into gear I do more than 10 of each exercise which is what I have been told to do resting inbetween of course. If I put some music on this makes the time pass quicker!!

My leg feels sore (not all the time) but more on the outside that inside the knee. It is very bruised and the thigh feels sore when I touch it and I think this is the muscles that have been worked by the exercise and are trying to get back to normal. The front of my leg below the knee is sore too when I touch it. It is bruised there as well as along the inside of the thigh and the back of the knee and back of the calf too. Not a pretty sight, hahaha!

Well how are you? How did you injure yourself overdoing the exercise? See I am asking you questions too!!

I have always ridden my bike locally around here but of course will not be able to do that for quite some time in the future now.

I am sure I am repeating myself but another good thigh strengthening exercise is to sit on a desk and swing the legs backwards and forwards, like you were on a swing. I used to find that quite therapeutic. I used to do 150 swings each day and it did not take long.

Have you had to work today and if so, how was it? I know what you mean about everyone dashing past you when using stairs. I used to look on in envy as all ages passed me by. I was ok with escalators though.

Speak soon, ask away if you would like to know anymore or if I have not made myself very clear as I have a habit of knowing what I mean, but nobody else does!! LOL

Luv
    Elna xx
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • annmary
    Hi Elna
    glad to hear that yr walking is slowly improving, as you said you have to retrain the brain as well to walk properly. I normally have to stop, think, and then walk properly. The physios at work sometimes shout down the corridor - walk properly - as my knee tends to like the easy lazy way!
    Its strange isnt it that yr bruising seems to be the more painful, it sounds as if you have been run over by a train. Once that goes down think how much better you will feel, then you can really concentrate on that new knee.
    I hate exercising but know it is for the best, so put that music on Elna and go for it!
    I believe as you do that you are doing so well, slowly of course as these things take time, because you used yr bike before.
    So you have inspired me and i make sure i use my exercise daily to build the thigh muscles.
    I never exercised my muscles before and i believe because they were so weak it hindered my recovery.
    I also believe that the physio i had was useless as everytime i asked him a question he had to go and ask someone else!
    I have had physio before on an injured shoulder and they were fantastic. I cried solid for 2 weeks in pain before i saw him and he worked on my shoulder every week, he gave me a list of do's and dont's and every week i had to show him any improvements.
    Whereas the knee physio more or less just sat there everyweek looking at the paper work, he hardly ever looked at my knee.
    I had physio once a week for 6 weeks, spent £40 on taxi fares ea time, what a total waste of time and money.
    In fact on one session, he put me under that funny lamp machine for 1/2 and disappeared!
    Anyway knee injury story:
    I told the physio that when i sat or laid on the bed i could not lift my leg up without screaming (and i mean screaming). I would hold onto the headboard and grit my teeth and have to do the breathing exercises that you do in labour but could only manage 3 without then not having any choice but to stop.
    Physio said to carry on i had to do 10 and then build it up.
    So at home, there i was, and of course bang, something had to give!
    My knee blew up so much i could not bend it and ended back at hosp where they said not to do it again and gave me gentler exercises, apparently my kneecap will not tolerate that exercise. I ended up bed/chair rest for 2 weeks!
    We brits are funny, we never go for 2nd opinions, once bitten twice shy, next time i will listen to my body saying something is wrong. I never had any faith in that physio from the very beginning and should have asked for another one.
    The physios in work are great, they check my knee even though there is nothing to see now, only had key hole surgery and that healed up after 2 weeks but they still insist on assessing it and how i place my leg down to walk. The hosp knee physio might as well have been a shop dummy for the amount of input he put in!
    I am one of those who do not like to make a fuss, but listen to this, while i was at the hosp physio there were a number of other people with their physios walking up and down the corridor, getting them to do this or that.
    My physio never once asked me to do anything like this, i should have queried it then, but no, i dont like to make a fuss,
    so next time if i have him again i will show him the door!

I was watching newsround earlier and was totally blown away.
    There was a south african with two false leg receiving a bronze medal and now hoping to enter the able bodied olympics!
    He flew and i mean flew. Even with two good legs i could never go that fast. I think Elna that we should ditch out dodgy legs and get one of those false ones, what do you think?

Have been looking at yr recipes and will try the soup ones so wish me luck. My daughter (nearly 16) hates my cooking, actually she is better than me, so i will have a go.

Keep up the good work, one day at a time, if you have a bad day i always view it as everyone is entitled to those,
    Have a good evening and nights sleep,
    Best wishes
    dilly
  • elnafinn
    Hi dilly

That was some waste of time that physio you had wasn't he? A complete waste of space if you are me!

I have been for a second opinion on my knee. One consultant wished to do a partial knee replacement and by the time I was thinking about having it done, I went for a second opinion to the consultant who recently performed my knee op and he said that my knee was too far gone for a partial and recommended a TKR. So I was one of those peeps that did go for a second opinion.

Typical, today I have not felt so good. Bad pain and discomfort on waking this morning and the knee/leg has been achey most of the day. Also I have found that walking around the house has not been as easy as it has been previously, so definitely gone back a notch. I do have lots of bruising etc and the knee is swollen so I do expect it to be uncomfortable. The bruising took its time coming out.

I think that if tomorrow morning there is not much change I shall call my consultant's secretary, and she can hopefully advise me of what to do, if anything.

I do find the exercises really difficult and also hope that I have not overdone them. Can one overdo the exercises? I am only doing them 3 times a day and it is recommended to do them 3 – 5 times a day.

I have rested the most today since coming back home as I have felt like it. I have taken it really easy for 2 days so have no explanation really as to why the knee/leg feels like it does. I only hope there is no infection so do want to be reassured by someone in the know.

Goodness me, poor you, when your knee swelled up so badly. That physio you had should be struck off the register. It is appalling the way he was carrying or not carrying on. It looks like he did not have a clue.

I am sure your cooking is not that bad. I do not think you can go wrong with the soups. They are so easy to make and you can always thin them down if they are too thick or vice versa. I love soups and they are very comforting and nourishing too. You can put anything into soups and I prefer them liquidised.

Yep, hahaha! think of me when you are on your exercise bike. Do you put on music too? It really does make it less boring. Also the leg swinging on the desk if you are able to do it is another good one, just for a change. Pretend you are on a swing.

Well my love that is me done in for today I think. I cannot burn the midnight oil tonight like i have been doing lately, but I wanted to reply to your posting.

Luv
    Elna xx
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Hi dilly

Now please do not be cross with me and tell me “I told you so” because really I did not think that I was overdoing things but must have been……….Perhaps you remember that I mentioned that I had been in a lot of pain on Wednesday morning on waking, well in the early hours of Thursday, woke around 3am and would have cut of my leg if I had had a knife ( well you know what I mean – pain- orama). In the end an icepack did the trick.

Pain still not good on getting up, so thought I had better get ready and then call the consultant's sec. On phoning, he could see me inbetween 1 – 2 pm – to fit me in as he was operating later or something. Taxi there and back was £60.00 - lovely minicab driver though, so what the hell. I also gave him a small tip as I am like that!!LOL At least my mind was put at rest after seeing consultant.

Consultant said there was no infection (seemed adamant about that one and who am I to argue) and then he reached for a compression bandage and put that around my knee and thigh - oh so tightly!!!!

He said remember the word RICE, REST, ICE, COMPRESSION BANDAGE, ELEVATION. So that is the menu for today and the next few to follow. He said go easy on the exercises (I am sure I may have overdone them) and on Monday when I see the physiotherapist, GENTLE exercising

I think it is very difficult to know exactly what and what not to do after this TKR operation. I felt so well and was going great guns and was not given too many guidelines as what was too much and what was too little to do. If one is a “do-er” rather than one who generally takes this easy it really seems difficult to find that happy medium without set instructions which is of course difficult to set out.

Anyway, as I am giving a running commentary of my recuperation to anyone who wishes to know on how it is going or not going you are now up-to-date with my antics!

Me thinks I had better get some R.I.C.E now.

Luv,

Elna xx

• annmary
    I dont believe it! Thank goodness you went to hosp, could you imagine what with the w/end looming, if you had left it until then you would not have got an appt and the agony?
    As you so rightly said, to get that happy medium of physio, but this is yr entitled off period, relax, take it easy and start again when ready. But it does hurt though doesnt it. You have to be really strict with yourself and follow the docs advice!
    And those taxi fares, i know how you feel, again ouch!
    Sorry I have to do it ...I told you so...
    There, I feel better, thank you for that.
    Great news about infection, that news in itself must be a relief.
    As you know, if you feel something is not right, seek medical advice, it is better to err on the side of caution.
    I hope you get a good nights sleep,
    best wishes
    dilly
  • doreencharman
    doreencharman Member Posts: 4
    I hav read with interest this thread as am I waiting to go into have a tkr
    We have a knee club where we go pre op for exercises but it is possabe that I will be called into hospital before my membership of the club comes up. Coud you tell me what exercises you did pre op.
    Please keep telling us of your progress
    Doreen
  • annmary
    Hi Doreen
    Nice to meet you.
    Good luck with yr tkr, hopefully i will get away with a partial replacement if they can do anything at all, time will tell.
    As i have not had a tkr i cannot advise on those exercises,
    at present i am only allowed light exercises ie
    putting a cushion between my knees, squeezing for 5 secs,
    i can do this as many times as i like so usually do 100 times a day. I then lay on the bed on my side and lift my oa knee/leg up and as straight as i can, i do this 20 times a day.
    Cycling on my exercise bike is my favourite, it really eases my knee, even though it has oa.
    Doreen perhaps you could ring the pre op number if you have one for some advice as would hate for you to do something wrong as you need yr leg to be at its best (you know what i mean!) before the op.
    I always put my music on as well and sing my heart out.
    Its funny though isnt it how only the horror stories stick in our minds and yet today my usual taxi driver told me his father had his trk 9 weeks ago and is now cruising the med!!! Lucky or what, whatever he's taking i want some!
    Anyway keep us informed about yr exercises and let us know when you get yr date for the tkr.
    Take care
    dilly
  • elnafinn
    Hi Doreen

I am honoured that you are reading my thread. It is very interesting for me too!!!

I did not do any specific exercises in view of my looming TKR as I have always done some form of daily stretching exercises. Before the op I was doing around 40 minutes at least 4 days a week. Earlier on I used to to the stretching exercises every day!!

I also ride my bike all the time around where I live as I had no pain doing this although sometimes getting on /off the bike was not a breeze. I do not drive so walking or biking plus a a dodgy train/bus service is my way of transport unless I go in the car with husband.

So it is good to do any exercises that work the muscles in the legs. It is a little difficult to put them down on paper but swinging legs backwards and forwards on a desk ie the movements to "get going" when sitting on a swing is good. Any exercises that improve muscles in the thigh, go for it big time. Thigh muscles need to be STRONG. I was mortified when after the op I could not immediately lift my leg off the bed and slowly lower it. I do not know how long it would have taken me if I had not built up the muscles as best as I could.

Some people and I know one person who after the op had NO pain. The physio said this was true. I have not been so lucky! Everyone is different as we hear so much on this forum.

I have meggae pain a considerable amount of the time and am very bruised but I am doing really well considering. I have a 106 degree knee bend and can do all the exercises ok. From the beginning I did well but have always had the pain right from when the pain block ceased to work after the op. I have a compression bandage on since last thursday because of the swelling that I have unfortunately still got. I remove that to exercise the leg. The pain is now easing slightly as from this morning.

I am still very positive and the physio say that I am doing well and although in pain and was told to reduce the exercising under her instruction I have not gone back a step. It is VERY important after the op to get the muscles in the BACK of the knee stretched to the limit. For some people this may be easy but for me this is the worst exercise to perform. I can do it though and continue to master it. It is very important in the early times after the op to get the muscles working or this will hinder one in getting more mobile. This is what the physio has told me.

Please ask any questions – I do not mind at all.

Luv
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Hi Kath

I was only told that after the consultant gave me an arthroscopy in March time of last year that I had aggressive non specific arthritis and the knee of a 70+ person.

When he came to see me after the op he said it really needed to be done as it was bone on bone with lots of fluid there.

I could have told him it was bone on bone because when I had to come off the anti inflams before the op, boy, did I know ALL ABOUT PAIN!!

Will try to get on our thread very soon.

Love
    Elna xx

• elnafinn
    Good morning dilly and Joy

Just to let you know things must be improving. I slept much better and did not wake and have to get the icepack for the knee around 3 am as has been the pattern for the past "too many nights to remember". The knee was grumbling but considering the pain I have been experiencing this is quite tolerable. My leg is more yellow than blue now so that is a good sign. Knee still swollen but look less so than it was. I don't know if I mentioned it before but the pain in the leg that was waking me was as if the leg had gone into spasm and cramp - not nice. I was spared that last night!!!!

Will put on some music now, do the exercises and then get ready to face the day and see what that brings forth!

Luv
    Elna xx

• annmary
    Hi kath
    Yes consultant said grade 3/4 oa in right leg, then it will go to grade 5 which is the worst. Oh great, cant wait, already it plays me up daily, have tried to cut down on pain killers but knee wont have it so really looking forward to no 5!
    I will have to make another appt to see consultant as he was not forthcoming about next step. Do i have to wait until it becomes really bad before i seek more advice abt surgery, if that is at all possible, by waiting will it damage my knee beyond further repair?
    Have been able to do my 6 hr shifts at work but by abt hour 4 the knee has had enough and when i go home the taxi driver has to wait a minute for me to get out as the knee has completely seized up, then i have to wait about 30 secs before i can walk away from the taxi.
    Have done 5 days in a row now and today has been my day off,
    i would normally have gone over to the local riding stables to help a friend with her horse but i no longer go as it can be very slippy especially where it is cobbled so miss that.
    At the present time though luckily i find that i can swop one activity that i can no longer do for another that is easier to cope with. For some members of this forum even that is impossible so my heart goes out to them. I have never felt so humbled since joining.
    Also my brain cells have been given a good work out too as when i see some threads i think, ooh, must research that, or ooh must try or think about that one!
    Gosh i could chat for england, had better go, have a house full of teenagers getting ready to go out, (those were the days!),
    i hate to think what upstairs looks like, i think probably like the london blitz by the amount of noise that is being made.
    Just thought, my oa is behind the knee cap, do you think that is why it can be graded?
    Good luck kath if you do go, let us know

Best wishes
    dilly
  • annmary
    Hi Elna
    So glad to hear that day by day things are improving, that must have been a nightmare, sleeping then to be woken with cramp like pains. Hopefully as you said it has eased off, and the yellow brusing is a great sign of the healing process.
    Have you got to go back to see the consultant or is it just physio now? It can seem like a slow process on the road to recovery but it will be worth it in the end, as time goes by the pain will lesson and then you can fully concentrate on those exercises!
    How is the walking going, has yr speed increased slightly or is it still early days, also one biggy, how is yr confidence in walking? I guess as well as the healing process do you have to gain that as well when you are walking.

I have now got to loose this weight which has blighted me all my life, oh i can loose it, but then for every stone i loose i put 2 back on but it has to go for my knees sake. I have lost a stone but have a long way to go. Have a house full of teenagers, eating pizza etc, getting ready to go out, they are so full of life, but hate to see what bombshell awaits me upstairs.
    I have bought a new low fat recipe book, hope my food looks as good as theirs by the time i've cooked it, and also i have bought a book called '30 min meals' which hopefully will be a godsend when i am too tired/knee playing up to spend long periods of time cooking.
    I am one of those who love to eat out, thai being my favourite, actually, i have just thought, i wonder if that is highly fattening, will have to look into that one. If it is you will hear me shouting Nooo!
    Hope you have another nights good sleep, fingers crossed for you,
    Best wishes
    dilly
  • elnafinn
    Hi dilly

The consultant wishes to see me on Thursday because I asked to see him last week, remember when i thought something terrible must be going on as I was in so much pain? I feel so much better today and still have SIX of my painkillers on the window cill. I do not need them. I had 2 this morning and 2 anti inflams. Usually in a day I scoff the 8 maximum. Yesterday I only had 6 and the day before talso. Perhaps tomorrow I may not need any.......

Thanks, dilly, I hope too that I have a perfect night's sleep- that would be wonderful.

I definitely think that the less weight one is carrying on the knees, the better. I am one of the lucky ones in that I do not carry any excess weight. In fact I wish I did at times!

My walking is fine with the one crutch and without if walking around the house, knowing that there are things that I can hold on to. I am fine going upstairs without the crutch as can hold on with the right hand but coming down there is no rail so I do need the aid of the crutch then. I stilal take the stairs like a child would. i think that comes quite a bit later to do stairs "properly".

It is a lot to do with balance as well as confidence after the op to start walking properly apparently. Sometime when the physio feels I am ready, the she will give me exercises with the gym ball for exactly that purpose to get my sense of balance back.

She did say that next monday she may get me onto the exercise bike but to pedal with NO resistance. It is the unknown to me but I will keep you informed as I know that you are interested.

Bye for now,

Love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Since my posting on 22 January things have not been good the last two nights, megga cold sweats, shivers, pain-orama in whole leg going into cramp and spasm, not only pain in the knee, so I was grateful to be seeing consultant today. the pain is not too bad in the day now.

He told me that these symptoms were caused by the body's defence mechanism fighting against the prosthesis - and this could take at the very least 6 months to subside. I will not tell you how many years he said it can take. He said the pain was worse at night because of the body shutting down. It was good to have an explanation. He was however impressed with my knee bend and how straight I could stretch my leg. So I came away a tiny bit more reassured.

He had no answer to why some peeps have no pain after the op and others middle to very bad pain. He said hip replacement was a much easier op especially from the point of view of recovery. That is why consultants do not like to rush into doing a TKR - not only for the reason of age.

Here's hoping tonight I shall sleep like a baby!

Night , night,

Luv
    Elna x

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    hope you sleep well tonight elna!

night night!
  • elnafinn
    Good morning,wonkylegs,

Thank you, I did. Not like a baby but much better than the last couple of nights. I hardly dare think that things may be at a turning point for the better because I have had "false alarms" before since this op. It really has been a learning curve. The thought of having the other knee "done" leaves me cold at the moment, but, as with other things in life, time does heal.

Hope your day goes calmer than it did yesterday!

Luv
    Elna x

• annmary
    Hello Elna, Jou kathb and wonkylegs and to everyone else,

How are you all doing? Elna i am really sorry to hear about yr knee ouch! It must seem like one thing after another.
    I hope that you manage to keep sleeping well, I think that if only we had that luxury life would be so much easier. Cramp is awful, i have only ever had it once but never forgot it. You seemed to be doing so well, try to stay positive as i know it has made you think twice about the next one, mind you i can easily say that, i am not the one having yr pain, but hopefully you know what i mean.

Well girls it looks like my days as a domestic are numbered, the pain and swelling has got too much but am seeing doc again on monday hopefully for some stronger pain killers.
    Had a very dark day yesterday (read my patella/oa thread) but today gave myself a good talking to!
    I will not be beaten by arthur and let him take my dreams away so i have re written my wish list of all the things i had wanted to do in life mainly travel. So i am now swopping those dreams for ones that i can do however small, i will take the bad days but will hang onto the good ones with every ounce in my body.
    I hope you all laugh at the sausages!!
    Has anyone travelled by plane with bad kness, i am wondering how they stood up to the cabin pressure/sitting in cramped seat.

I assume you have all read that this site is off air for 3 days, i think i have withdrawal symptons already.
    Sleep well everyone
    dilly
  • elnafinn
    Hi dilly

I did read your posting about your bad day and my heart went out to you. I think you are like me and on the whole are a positive person. This certainly helps doesn't it. We are allowed lapses every now and again though.

I have been on planes with my "bad knees" and have not suffered too badly at all. Just the same symptoms really as after sitting too long, so I try to get up and walk down the aisle and fidget about, doing a few leg exercises and drinking plenty of water like we have all been told to do. Wear the socks too!! I don't though!!!!

I wish you all the best on Monday at the docs and I am sure he will be able to help you with stronger medication when you present your problems to him.

I am positive about my new knee but am trying to make it like me and I now imagine it is taking time to "get to know me". It is just over three weeks since the op and as I keep being told I am going in the right direction, I must not be too impatient. No pain, no gain is what they say ...............

I bet those sausages you cooked tasted extra special that day.
    You little sweetie.

I am off to try and get some zeeeeeees now,

Lots of love
    Elna xx

• doreencharman
    doreencharman Member Posts: 4
    Hello again
    Well I went to our knee club got shown acouple of exercises to do pre op and have been attemting these. Felt a bit down because several people there had their admisson dates and I am still waiting, just wish it would hurry .I am trying to sort out meals etc before I go in as my husband is disabled and I am his carer .I have also got two holidays booked this year so the sooner the better.Do hope you are improving and look forward to reading your next post
    :o Take care
    Doreen[/code]
  • annmary
    Hello everyone,
    Hope all is well with everyone.
    Doreen just read yr thread, i bet you cannot wait to get yr date for yr op. Have you any help for you and your husband when the time arrives, as you mentioned he is disabled, i do hope so.
    Now that the warmer weather is arriving (hopefully) it will be better for your recovery as it will be easier to venture outside. It has been a very calm sunny day here in Hadleigh (essex) I just wish i could have got out and done my weeding, as i always weeded sitting down on the grass i am now looking for tools to use when i sit in a chair, but these things are never cheap are they?
    How are you finding the exercises, my knee has been poorly this last week so have not gone on the bike. I normally do 15 minutes but today was my first time back and only managed 5 mins, was horrified! So will not over do it but do 5 more this evening and leave it at that until tomorrow.
    OOh bliss, teenage music just gone off, heaven!

Hi Elna
    Well, how is the knee, is it being friendly yet?
    I am glad the powers to be are pleased with its progress, hang in there, summers on its way.
    How is the pain management going and the walking?
    After yr setback have you seen an improvement again, i hope so after all the effort you have put in.
    I have been signed off by doc for 2 weeks, this being the end of my first week, my knee swelled up and was painful but is much better now, so dont know if it was too early to go back to work or that my knee is now saying give up work?

Am a bit lost at moment with knowing who is who as names changed with the new forum, i hope that i will not ignore anyone, please be patient with me, not very computer orientated but am proud that i can leave a smiley face!

Take care everyone
    best wishes
    dilly :D
  • elnafinn
    annmary wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    Doreen just read yr thread, i bet you cannot wait to get yr date for yr op. Have you any help for you and your husband when the time arrives, as you mentioned he is disabled, i do hope so.
    Now that the warmer weather is arriving (hopefully) it will be better for your recovery as it will be easier to venture outside. It has been a very calm sunny day here in Hadleigh (essex) I just wish i could have got out and done my weeding, as i always weeded sitting down on the grass i am now looking for tools to use when i sit in a chair, but these things are never cheap are they?
    How are you finding the exercises, my knee has been poorly this last week so have not gone on the bike. I normally do 15 minutes but today was my first time back and only managed 5 mins, was horrified! So will not over do it but do 5 more this evening and leave it at that until tomorrow.

Hi Elna
    I am glad the powers to be are pleased with its progress, hang in there, summers on its way.
    After yr setback have you seen an improvement again, i hope so after all the effort you have put in.
    I have been signed off by doc for 2 weeks, this being the end of my first week, my knee swelled up and was painful but is much better now, so dont know if it was too early to go back to work or that my knee is now saying give up work?

Am a bit lost at moment with knowing who is who as names changed with the new forum, i hope that i will not ignore anyone, please be patient with me, not very computer orientated but am proud that i can leave a smiley face!

Take care everyone
    best wishes

Hi dilly :D

I did not realise that you had been signed off by the docs. :( Should you go back to work, perhaps you should strap the knee up. Presumably the rest has improved your knee. Two weeks ago I was given a support bandage to wrap round and round the leg and knee and this felt much more comfortable. Last week the physio gave me a pull on support stocking thingy which also made me feel more comfortable with the added support. This was better than the bandage as that took such a time to unwind and wind on again if you see when I mean. Now I am not using either but the fact still remains that it feels very uncomfortable most of the time. :shock: No one can seem to explain why. At the moment I am told it will take time ...... I do not feel able to reduce my meds which the physio keeps banging on about. I do not use the crutch at all in the house, but on the very FEW occasions I have left the house (three times) I need to take it with me to use every now and again. Saying this I have not been for a walk as I do not feel like it. I did walk back from the doctors after a blood test but this took the wind out of my sails a little - I was really surprised as it was no distance.

Anyway, how do you like this new layout? I find it very slow so that is not good but other than that it is fine. I do not find it as "tidy" as the other layout though. The other one was easier for me for me to navigate around, anyway...... I am sure it will all come out in the wash!

Hope your day is going ok and the knee is behaving.... 8)

Love
    Elna x

• mike147
    mike147 Bots Posts: 13
    elnafinn wrote:
    annmary wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Hi Elna

Take care everyone
    best wishes

I did not realise that you had been signed off by the docs. :( Should you go back to work, perhaps you should strap the knee up. Presumably the rest has improved your knee. Two weeks ago I was given a support bandage to wrap round and round the leg and knee and this felt much more comfortable. Last week the physio gave me a pull on support stocking thingy which also made me feel more comfortable with the added support. This was better than the bandage as that took such a time to unwind and wind on again if you see when I mean. Now I am not using either but the fact still remains that it feels very uncomfortable most of the time. :shock: No one can seem to explain why. At the moment I am told it will take time ...... I do not feel able to reduce my meds which the physio keeps banging on about. I do not use the crutch at all in the house, but on the very FEW occasions I have left the house (three times) I need to take it with me to use every now and again. Saying this I have not been for a walk as I do not feel like it. I did walk back from the doctors after a blood test but this took the wind out of my sails a little - I was really surprised as it was no distance.

Anyway, how do you like this new layout? I find it very slow so that is not good but other than that it is fine. I do not find it as "tidy" as the other layout though. The other one was easier for me for me to navigate around, anyway...... I am sure it will all come out in the wash!

Love
    Elna x
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Hi Elna,

I have read your posts with much interest, At the time of writhing this my both knees are sore, :(:(:(:( was your knee sore to tough with your fingernails :?: :?: :?: :? cant wait for the Rheumy appointment has I have many questions.

Mike R & Hazel
  • mike147
    mike147 wrote:
    elnafinn wrote:
    annmary wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Hi Elna

Take care everyone
    best wishes

Love
    Elna x
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Hi Elna,

I have read your posts with much interest, At the time of writhing this my both knees are sore, :(:(:(:( was your knee sore to tough with your fingernails :?: :?: :?: :? cant wait for the Rheumy appointment has I have many questions.

Mike R & Hazel
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Hazel is laughing at my mistake, were I meant to say touch with fingernails instead I put tough with fingernails
  • elnafinn
    Good morning to you both, Mike and Hazel! :D:):lol:
    First of all it is great to hear that you and Hazel can laugh together! :D:D:D:D:D I think that is one of the greatest tonic's around and I am grateful that there is so much laughter in our home, as I really do need that from time to time! :D

Yep,Mike, you have hit the nail on the head, so to speak, by the time the evening arrives I can hardly bear to brush my fingertips over my knee and then at night, the duvet is often a "no, no" on the offending knee but by the morning that feeling has gone. I am not saying I am sleeping through the nights, as that would be a blatant lie! :roll: I wake up with pain, and the leg going into spasm. I am sure the knee feels like this as it has been cut, knocked around and all the nerves are not liking it one bit, and nor am I! :cry: :x I am sure it will improve. It will have to, as there is not much else to be done to the knee for me now, is there? :roll:

Wishing you well at the rheumi appointment and keep us posted won't you? :lol:

Hope you are both able to enjoy your sunday,

Luv
    Elna x

• mike147
    elnafinn wrote:
    Good morning to you both, Mike and Hazel! :D:):lol:
    First of all it is great to hear that you and Hazel can laugh together! :D:D:D:D:D I think that is one of the greatest tonic's around and I am grateful that there is so much laughter in our home, as I really do need that from time to time! :D

Yep,Mike, you have hit the nail on the head, so to speak, by the time the evening arrives I can hardly bear to brush my fingertips over my knee and then at night, the duvet is often a "no, no" on the offending knee but by the morning that feeling has gone. I am not saying I am sleeping through the nights, as that would be a blatant lie! :roll: I wake up with pain, and the leg going into spasm. I am sure the knee feels like this as it has been cut, knocked around and all the nerves are not liking it one bit, and nor am I! :cry: :x I am sure it will improve. It will have to, as there is not much else to be done to the knee for me now, is there? :roll:

Wishing you well at the rheumi appointment and keep us posted won't you? :lol:

Hope you are both able to enjoy your sunday,

Luv
    Elna x
    :lol::lol::lol: We will enjoy sunday, you would laugh if you could see us in the morning I hobble, hazel hobbles then my son gets up and he hobbles , we three are a picture :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: we all hobble together //Mike R & Hazel