2»

Comments

• annmary
    annmary Member Posts: 18
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Elna, Doreen, Kath, Goldie, Mike and Hazel
    How is everyone?

My daughter is going to college this summer to study travel and tourism. So I bought a few books of ebay for her which was a real boon, one to buy new was £22.95 and I got mine for 99p which just looked like new!
    Anyway, I started browsing airline memorabilia items just out of curiousity. What people will sell and what people will buy, it really is a whole new experience. They were selling the plastic air safety cards you get in the seat pocket in front of you on the plane (basically people just took them) and guess what, I bought a virgin one for 99p!!! My hubby could not believe it but I thought it would look good in her course work. I jokingly said that I would look out for the waxed sick bags next and you guessed it, they are actually selling those as well. Every airline you can think of, there are the waxed bags. People are actually selling and buying them.
    And no, I havent bought one! :D

Elna, your poor knee. You certainly were busy at the physio's and I bet your knee loved every minute of it. Do you go every week?
    It must be very sensitive if you cannot bear to have the duvet touch it. I have one more week off work and will take if from there.
    If the knee continues to play up at work then I will have to give up.
    Was thinking about the IMB but it seems a real mine field.

Doreen, have you a date yet on yr tkr? Keep those exercises up.
    I could not do my bike last week because of the knee but started 2 days ago. When I got off my legs felt like jelly!!

Kath - did you have yr oa graded, it would be interesting to find out, but have realised that it was only graded after the op, when they were able to look inside the knee. I have 8 photos each of the inside of my knees, to me though they just look like the black side of the moon!

Goldie - how are yr knees behaving? I was wondering, when you walk do your knees feel really loose? When I walk my knee feels really loose, a real sicky type of feeling, its horrible.

Mike and Hazel - Oh you poor three, i could just imagine you all in the morning, like the tin man from the wizard of oz, just wanting some oil on those joints! If only it were that simple.

Well guys, I hope everyone enjoys there pancakes tomorrow

Take care
    dilly :D
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    :shock: Hi dilly

Pain - orama, big time! :( After all that physio today, then friend came over and we sat for a good couple of hours nattering :D Did a quick hoover around the house and then went out for a 10 minute walk as physio told me in no uncertain terms that I should "start getting out more! hahaha 8) So off I toddled, under cover of darkness. I walked unaided but did take the crutch - just in case - so to speak :oops:

Well, by the time I had made a quick dinner for us, the knee, leg started - big time. It was not at all happy - it was giving me so much jip, I have been laid up on the bed for 4 hours, only painfree when asleep. Now, the pain has eased and I feel quite wide awake. Husband has done the dishes but I really would have preferred to do them than go through the meggae pain I have just had with the said knee/leg. :shock:

I am really hopeful that when I see my gp tomorrow I shall come out with a prescriptin for much stronger meds and a SR anti inflam for night time. I have heard of others being on strong painkillers for 2 months after the op and I have now come to the conclusion that I am in dire need of them too - hopefully my gp will be sympathetic..... :)

Dilly, I do hope that you are able to stay in your job. :) I know you enjoy your work and of course the money comes in useful too, doesn't it? Goodness know when I will be able to get back to my little cleaning jobs ....... seems like never at the mo :(

Hi Kath, :)

I see no reason why you cannot have your knee done although you are not in pain all the time. As you say the pain is dire when you do have it.

Bye for now,
    Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi dilly 8)

ps - yes at the mo I attend physio once a week.

E x :wink:
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi dilly 8)

ps - yes at the mo I attend physio once a week.

E x :wink:

Hi dilly

Yes, I have found the thread and see that I answered your posting. :wink: Now we are chatting on the same subject on here and the Chit Chat zone! How complicated is that :?: :!:

Hope your day goes well tomorrow :D

Love
    Elna x

• doreencharman
    doreencharman Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Well got my date and although it is not till the 25th of March I am well pleased as it is only ten weeks form seeing the Surgeon and as I work in school its the holidays so that will help. I am lucky in that my family live near enough to help with husband and the house. I am quite excited now .can I ask a silly question did you find that short trousers or three quarter were best in the pj stakes .Went to town today (we live in avillage) and I am now actually shatteredand I was only out for less than an hour. I am trying to do the the exercises and am thinking of getting an exercise bike do you think I could use it before the op.Sorry I am rambling.
    Take care all
    Doreen
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Well got my date and although it is not till the 25th of March I am well pleased as it is only ten weeks form seeing the Surgeon and as I work in school its the holidays so that will help. I am lucky in that my family live near enough to help with husband and the house. I am quite excited now .can I ask a silly question did you find that short trousers or three quarter were best in the pj stakes .Went to town today (we live in avillage) and I am now actually shatteredand I was only out for less than an hour. I am trying to do the the exercises and am thinking of getting an exercise bike do you think I could use it before the op.Sorry I am rambling.
    Take care all
    Doreen

Hi Doreen :)

So pleased you have an op date and not long to wait either and that it ties in with the holiday period. :)

As much exercise to build up the thigh muscles before the op, the better, whatever you can do fairly comfortably.

I wore short "tee-shirt" sorts of nightware after I got rid of the awful gown they put you in for the op!!! :oops: The following morning I washed with a bowl of water in bed and then changed into my teeshirt nightie, put some make up on and my earrings etc and felt much more human! :) Actually they get you up proper the next day so you can wear day clothes and this is what I chose to do. They suggested a skirt of shorts. I packed these, along with trackie bottoms and I wore the latter every day I was there. When the physio or anyone wished to look at the knee these were easy to pull up. Any kind of jambs will be ok if they can easily be pulled up so the knee can be on view.

Hope this answers your question. Please ask away, if I can help, I shall. :D

I have just been out for a half hour walk and everyday it seems to get easier which is good!! :D:D

Luv
    Elna x

• annmary
    annmary Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hello Doreen,
    wow, a date so soon, well done. It is something now to aim for, is'nt it. I hope Elna's advice has spurred you on.
    The bike for me is an enormous help, but as Elna said, do not over do it, you want your knee and leg to be at its best for before and after your op.
    I know the bike works as my knee kept me off work for 2 weeks and for the first week I could not use the bike. So when eventually I did use it I found that I have lost some of the muscle strength in my thighs, they were like jelly when I got off the bike. So over the next couple of days this has gradually built up, thankfully.
    The trick Doreen is - know your limit and stick to it!!

Stay in touch
    dilly :D
  • doreencharman
    doreencharman Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi there
    Thanks for the info i had aletter this am and it suggests that you take in day clothes (loose ones) so will take in a couple of track suit type things and normal nighties.
    Went and bought an exercise bike only thirty pounds in Tesco . Have done five mins this evening and will build up gradually ,aim is to do end up doing half a hour a day in two goes. a day but we will see. Just wish it was March now .I have to go back to the hospital next week as I broke finger a month ago caught it in the car door so ho :lol: hopefully that will be sorted and i can get the splint off . I relise how lucky we are in this area as waiting lists are not too bad.
    You are doing great with the walking thats the thing I look forward too can mange the pain in the other bits at the moment the drugs are working ok , but I do miss not been able to walk .
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Good morning Sarah - bumped this up for you (my TKR diary) but you must remember that everyone reacts differently after this operation. I had the operation on 4 January 2008.

I had quite a lot of pain after but moblity was good. All came together in the end though and i have no regrets at all.

Love
    Elna x