Emotions & Arthritus

Good Morning,

I have been living with OA for around a year now, i've gotten it young at 30. Now i'm on all the usual drugs, but one thing i find really hard is how my emotions have changed. I'm not sure whether its down to the drugs, the situation, the pain or a combination of all three.

For example I used to love watching films, but now because of drugs and tiredness i can't last through a film in the evening without falling asleep. This led me to crying because i just wanted to watch a film, i find this weird because in the past i would shrug something like this off.

I also find myself getting upset continually about the little things, like not being able to run about with my little girl, or not being able to open things because i'm not as physically strong as i used to be.

I feel constantly like I'm not able to do all things i used to for my wife and daughter, this makes me feel like im not being as supportive or even as useful as i used to be.

It seems like the little stuff really gets to me, but the big stuff doesn't, because i've gotten used to dealing with the big changes in my life. Its almost like the small things remind me of how much this has impacted my life.

I've just begun to wonder if i am the only person who gets like this?

Tagged:

Comments

• Daphne
    Daphne Member Posts: 27
    No you are not alone , I am wondering if you have some depression problems , have you spoken to your g.p. about how you are feeling, I suffer from mild depression and anxiety and my doctor put me on some antidepressants that don't interfere with my pain relief and they have really helped and kept me thinking straight and calm. I hope you feel better soon, look after yourself
  • historynut
    historynut Member Posts: 28
    edited 10. May 2020, 14:53
    Thank you for the kind words.
    Sadly, I'm all ready being treated for that and have been seeing a therapist. I do think it's all linked, I was depressed before all this started, but I think it might have intensified it.
    I am on amitriptyline all ready, I know this is meant to help with depression.... I'm struggling to break the cycle at the moment I think.
  • DLM2102
    DLM2102 Member Posts: 6
    When do you take your amitriptyline? I take it for pain management but also find that if I sleep I can cope with the pain better than if I had a bad nights sleep. Try taking it a couple of hours before you sleep.
  • historynut
    historynut Member Posts: 28
    I take it before bed like clockwork, I'm thinking I need to get my dose higher. I've gone from 50 to 60 last month. Think I will ring docs
  • DLM2102
    DLM2102 Member Posts: 6
    Try tens machine x