Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

However your life is impacted by arthritis we want to understand more about you so that we can make sure we continue to develop our information, support and services such as the online community.

If you've not already, please take 5 -10 minutes to fill in our survey. All information you provide will remain anonymous and be treated in the strictest confidence. TAKE OUR SURVEY

Methotrexate

Hello anybody, I'm currently on 6 , 2.5 milligrams of methotrexate once a week, so far they are not working.

I've been on them 4 months , hands ,wrists knees shoulders and elbows still in pain . How many tablets does it take to work ?

Tagged:

Comments

• BrynmorBrynmor Posts: 448 admin

Hi Brian and welcome to the Community.

Methotrexate can take quite a while to start working, so it may be 3 to 12 weeks before you start to notice any difference. However, I would have thought that there would have been some change after 4 months. It may well be worth trying to get an appointment with your doctor to discuss your progress.

We have a great page of information on methotrexate that you like to take a look at:

Do join in across the Community, ask questions, call in for a chat and also to let us know how you are getting on.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,556 ✭✭✭

That is a very small dose so it may need to be increased. What are your bloods showng and what are you hoping it will do? I've taken meth for years, with other meds too; I currently inject 15ml per week and it is controlling disease activity. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • BrynmorBrynmor Posts: 448 admin

Hi @dreamdaisy When starting off on the course of medication, Methotrexate tablets come in two strengths: 2.5 mg and 10 mg. To avoid confusion, it’s recommended you only be given one strength, usually 2.5mg.

Dosage is then reviewed after a period of time depending on the outcome until an optimal level of control is reached. 😃

Brynmor