Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Claiming PIP for Osteoarthritis of the knees

PenndavPenndav Posts: 3
edited 2. Jun 2020, 14:59 in Living with arthritis

I have osteoarthritis in my knees (one worse than the other) and although I am working my friend has suggested that I may be able to get some help by putting in a claim for PIP.

Does anybody have any experience of claiming for PIP for my condition? Is it possible firstly or would I be wasting my time?

Comments

• MarzMacMarzMac Posts: 51

Hi @Penndav

A warm welcome to the online community on behalf of our members and all the team.

You're interested in finding out about claiming PIP and you have OA in your knees. I'm sure you'll soon hear from other members who have claimed PIP (which is a non-means tested disability benefit). In the meantime, the helpline team would be able to offer advice on this if you give them call on 0800 5200 520.

I look forward to hearing more about you as you browse around the chat rooms. Why not pop in to Val's Cafe for a brew and a blether, or there's a 'Work and Financial' forum where you may find some useful benefits information.

Best wishes

MarzMac 😎

• Mike1Mike1 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭

PIP is measured against your disabilities, i.e. what you can and cannot do as a result of your condition.

• Mike1 my knees get really stiff when I sit down for too long and are painful when I walk. It is difficult for me to get in and out of the shower (which is in the bath). I have recently started walking with a stick, as they are getting extremely painful. I am taking painkillers and use gel on my knees. My doctor says the next step is a cortisone injection, which I will try but understand they only last for a short time. I can't walk very far without having to stop and sit down. I cannot stand in one position for long at all.

I work in an office and am currently working from home, but my friend said that I might be able to apply for PIP to help me (the gels cost £8 a time).

• Mike1Mike1 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭

PIP is designed to help with the addition costs of having a disability; in my case it assists with Home Help, deep tissue massage, chiropodist, aids around the home and numerous other essentials. Check out https://www.gov.uk/pip . The application form is 30+ pages long, you will need supporting evidence/reports and will undergo an assessment. It may be useful to contact the CAB as they often help people with applications.

• Eir1971Eir1971 Posts: 20

Hi Penndav

You can still claim pip even if your working, I work full time and get it. I told them at the assessment I was working full time, it didn't go against me. Give it a go you've nothing to lose, good luck.

• I got PIP for mental health issues for a while. It's worked out on two areas - mobility and social support (each also has a couple of levels of severity). It's completely possible that you could be eligible for some level of both with arthritis. From my experience, I'd suggest making sure you answer the questions on the form and in the assessment interview as if you were talking about the worst of your days. Don't exaggerate necessarily, but do make sure they understand how bad it is at it's worst.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'd say it doesn't hurt to apply, but it is a lot of work, so make sure that you're up for that and have support around you. It can be a difficult process to go through, depending on the attitude of who assesses you.

If in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

• I tried to claim pip in 2020, I was told I manage to work full time I cant be that bad. I have severe arthritis in both knees bone on bone, arthritis of the lower spine & also fibromyalgia. I work seasonal in an office, I park as close to the door as I can possibly get. I cant stand for long, I cant walk far, I have understanding work friends that know when im struggling, & help me out. If I received PiP I would stop working. I'm ready to give up work but have always been independent & liked to earn money of my own. PiP would help me to still feel independent until I can claim my pension in just over 2 years time.

• frogmortonfrogmorton Posts: 26,327 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jenwren

PIP is a working age benefit and your ability to work isn't relevant really. I think you ought to take some advice from someone like Citizen's Advice and think about reapplying.

Have a look at this:

Take care

Love

Toni xxx
  • Airwave!Airwave! Posts: 2,427 ✭✭

I lost my claim for PIP after having DLA for 12 years. A person will turn up for an appointment with you and write a report on your answers, basically they don’t lie but they tell a different version of the truth, a half truth and it won’t be your version.

You need a ‘friend’ with you to tell your version of events when you have to appeal the decision, the ‘friend’ should be versed in the answers needed by the PIP representatives, the age concern charities do a good job and are used to dealing with the private contracted firms who hold the present brief. You have been warned.

My pride has stopped me going back for more of a bashing.

its a grin, honest!

• JonaJona Posts: 102

Hi Penndav

sorry to hear to hear about your knees I have it both mine painful but at least you have the support of you work colleagues it’s amazing that a person who isn’t in our shoes can make a decision about how it affects you I would rather work full time and not have the pain and fear over what happens next I’m currently on sick leave at the moment I don’t have support or compassion from my work colleagues , I would rather continue to pay my way but go to citizens advice ask them to help.

My doctor tells me it’s all documented on my notes as it should be on yours, you should also contact the council for disabled badges your entitled to them fact is you have walking difficulties

good luck and start thinking of yourself because millions of others do, be kind to you and be strong time to start bashing back now , take care

Jona 😊