Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

However your life is impacted by arthritis we want to understand more about you so that we can make sure we continue to develop our information, support and services such as the online community.

If you've not already, please take 5 -10 minutes to fill in our survey. All information you provide will remain anonymous and be treated in the strictest confidence. TAKE OUR SURVEY

Hi I'm new

Hi my name is Peter and i'm new here.

I found this site whilst paging through the internet trying to find if the NHS had any dates in mind to restart elective surgery.

I was due to have a hip replacement operation on March 26th 2020 (after waiting for three years) but, as we all know, all elective surgery has been postponed and there doesn't appear to be any date for resumption.

Comments

• Hi Surrey seagull Peter

Welcome to the Arthritis Community glad you have found us and sharing your story. Everyone on this forum has similar story to tell of their Arthritis journey. It's a shame about your hip operation being postponed and I hope you have good news soon.

Hope you enjoy the forum Christine

• frogmortonfrogmorton Posts: 25,127 ✭✭

Welcome from me too @surreyseagull

I am sorry to hear your op has had to be postponed. Such a blow when you are in pain no doubt lost mobility and have waited so long😕

My advice would be to contact the hospital and ask for an update because a fair few hospitals are restarting their elective surgeries.

Do let us know how you get on.

Love

Toni xxx
  • hi Peter welcome

im sorry to hear about your operation delayed due to the ongoing pandemic im pretty much in the same boat im waiting on an ankle fusion operation as my ankle is at stage 4 post traumatic osteoarthritis from a sport injury 20 years a go I was receiving a yearly cortisone injection. but as the years progressed the became less effective until now the last one didn't work so im at the stage of a fusion the pain is unbearable some days even with the strongest dose of cocodomol 30/500 im trying to keep in good shape with a healthy diet and try exercise daily walking and cycling and a few weights in-between but once ive done my exercise that's pretty much it for the day once I rest my ankle inflames and becomes real stiff and I can barely put my weight on it leaving me unable to work which as lead to some mental health issues like depression and anxiety but the exercise I push into doing daily makes a hell of a difference for my mental wellbeing ive been in touch with the hospital and there's no dates set for future operations because of the on going pandemic I do use hot/cold gels in wrap around my ankle or a tens machine which are effective whilst on but the pain always comes back so im not banking on an operation anytime this year I even tried going private but its exactly the same consultant/surgeon there from the NHS and he said either way it will take the same time so Im just sitting tight and waiting just going my teeth and push through the pain trying a little exercise a day

all the best

darren

• Thanks for your reply Toni - my hospital 's phone service wasn't taking any calls so I rang the PALS office at the hospital only to be told that they have no date for a return to elective surgery but that it it is under "constant review" so no news at all really. I shall continue ringing once a week.

• LilymaryLilymary Posts: 183 ✭✭

Wow, waiting 3 years for surgery? That’s awful, I’m sorry you’ve had to wait so long. I was referred for hip replacement and steroid injections just before lockdown, but when I rang last week they have no clue when things will get going again, so it looks like I’m in for a very long wait. This pandemic has had some dreadful indirect consequences.

• Yes that's true- however I have had some good news today that I am to have my operation (done by the same surgeon too) on July 2nd at a private hospital nearby ! So fingers crossed . . .

• LilymaryLilymary Posts: 183 ✭✭

That's great news! I hope it all goes smoothly, and there are no last minute cancellations.

FABULOUS news now we want to hear how it goes!

🙂

Love

Toni xxx
  • Hi , i'm so pleased for you , i hope all goes well for you too.

I emailed my local MP on Thursday and told her about my waiting health issues with my hip surgery and how it was having such a impact on my life & my families I didn't hold back with what i had to say !! she replied on Friday and asked if she could pass on my concern's and the contents of the email to the Chief of The Hospital Trust i said yes of course .

I too have been waiting nearly three years as i told you for surgery and my mobility now is nil.

Can i ask where in the country do you live ? Many thanks LindaK

Good on you @LindaK

Let us know what happens now!

Love

Toni xxx
  • Hi Toni .... i'll keep in touch whatever the outcome, fingers crossed it's something positive, regards LindaK

• BrynmorBrynmor Posts: 448 admin

@surreyseagull do let us know how you are getting on and be sure to come back to say how the operation turns out!