Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

However your life is impacted by arthritis we want to understand more about you so that we can make sure we continue to develop our information, support and services such as the online community.

If you've not already, please take 5 -10 minutes to fill in our survey. All information you provide will remain anonymous and be treated in the strictest confidence. TAKE OUR SURVEY

Osteoarthritis

Hi, my name is Christine and this is my first time here, if anyone has any ideas what could help with osteoarthritis all over your body I’d love to hear from you, plus I’ve started to have the odd fall recently for no reason
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Christine, I’m Tanya also new on here and have osteoarthritis, just turned 45, I’m also Looking for a bit of help trying all sorts at the minute from pills, gels to aromatherapy, my hands are really bad can’t open anything for myself, hopefully we will get some good advice on how to help us, take care
  • LilymaryLilymary Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi Christine, i’ve only officially got it in my hips at the moment, but I’m pretty sure it’s also in my knees and neck, as they are seizing up rapidly, but not too painful yet. My knees have been grumbling for years but my hip has barged its way to the front of the queue. What has your doc/consultant recommended for you? There are some good tips on this site and tips from other sufferers that you should find helpful.

• Mike1Mike1 Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Greetings. I have widespread OA too plus a few other problems and regularly become unstable, drop things and so on. Over the years I have tried everything in an attempt to find something that helps the pain, as we are all different it is worth trying anything no matter how wacky some may seem. Regrettably I have found nothing yet so just have to rely on morphine and my wheelchair, but if I come across something else I would consider giving it a go.

• frogmortonfrogmorton Posts: 25,131 ✭✭

Hello from me too welcome Christine 🙂

I suspect the mods will move this thread onto the Living with arthritis part @Chrissiesusie1 but you'll be able to find it because of this @ before your name.

I recommend doing your range of movement exercises every day if you can

The only thing that worries me is your falls....might be worth asking to see a physio? You might need some walking aids maybe? safety first?

Take care

Love

Toni xxx
  • DerekDerek Posts: 3
    Hello everyone I am suffering from intense pai. In my right knee the slightest movement causes unbearable pain does anyone have any ideas as to what I can take to ease the pain as I cannot get out of bed is this my osteoarthritis or could it be something else I am taking co- codamol but it has no effect other than making me extremely drowsy.
  • Chris_RChris_R Posts: 71 mod

Hi Derek

Welcome to the forum,pain is all consuming and we all understand what you are going through,if the pain is as bad as you describe maybe you should go back to your GP who might find a solution for you.Meanwhile you could ring our help line on 0800 5200 520.Take a look round our forum and chat to others and maybe find some answers.

Hope all goes well for you and please let us know how you get on

Christine

• ChrisKChrisK Posts: 92 mod

Hi @Derek

Welcome to the forum, you will find our members helpful and will offer you advice as relevant to their own type of arthritis.

Versus Arthritis have produced many booklets and fact sheets below is a link to the one about Osteoarthritis :

(con

Hi @Derek

Welcome to the community from me too nice to meet you.

My worry is how long is it since you have seen/spoken to your GP? It's not at all good if you can't get out of bed😕 Does your GP know it's this bad? There options other than just being given co-codamol and left to get on with it. Are you well otherwise? Have you got a high temperature for instance?

It might be (if it's years since your diagnosis or last Xray) that things have got worse than your GP knows. He/she could refer you to a physiotherapist or a pain clinic (they know the most about pain) or an orthopaedic consultant for an opinion.

Please do get back to your GP and ask for more help - tell them just how bad it is they wouldn't want to hear you are trapped in your bed.

As Chris R says do let us know how you get on and take care

Love

Toni xxx
    Thank you to everyone for your help and answers, I have spoken to my GP and explained my situation but he has no other option than taking the pain killers he prescribed, I had this same experience last year where I had to get to the hospital in agony but there answer was you have osteoarthritis and I was given a small cup containing 6 pills I was told to take and make my way home, I have had problems with all my joints recently and find this extremely painful to the extent that I don’t move just to avoid the pain, I am sure there must be something that would calm or take the edge off the pain to make life easier but have not yet been given an option other than co-codamol.

Thanks again everyone
    Derek
  • Mike1Mike1 Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Go back to your GP and ask to be referred to the Pain Clinic.

Thanks Mike I’ll call him tomorrow.

Derek do let us know how you get on. Blame it on us when you ask him!

Love

Toni xxx