Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

However your life is impacted by arthritis we want to understand more about you so that we can make sure we continue to develop our information, support and services such as the online community.

If you've not already, please take 5 -10 minutes to fill in our survey. All information you provide will remain anonymous and be treated in the strictest confidence. TAKE OUR SURVEY

Sculpting

I stopped working 9 years ago mainly due to a neurological condition then developed OA in my left elbow because of the extra stress on my joints (crutches, wheelchair) I think the right elbow is going the same way..

I always wanted to go to art college but at the time teachers/careers advisers advised against it.

So as soon as I had all the free time I worked with stone (ouch!) then some clay, now I've just started using wax with the intention of getting it cast in bronze. If you look up Castle Fine Arts Foundry - Free Wax, they'll send you a small block of free modelling wax by post and if you like what you've made, you send it back and they'll cast it in bronze for the introductory offer of £75!

Don't be put off by the hardness of the wax, if you chop off little bits at a time it soon becomes workable in your fingers.

Big Cat - about 3" tall and 5" long (ok, not so big)

Comments

• Mike1Mike1 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    edited 18. Jul 2020, 17:32

I am the other way, my school teachers tried pushing my parents to let me go to art college but my mother was dead set against it so I joined the armed forces instead. Thanks for the heads up about the wax and bronze casting, I may well give it a go.

I have just signed up for it but the price for a bronze of your sculpture is now £95 + VAT.

• N1gelN1gel Posts: 43

Oh well the price increase may be the amount of people signing up for wax, I have, the dog has, my parents have, the vicar has...

The wax is free and good therapy for the fingers. Apparently if you made lots of airfix kits as a kid it's a good start!

• Mike1Mike1 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I may sign the cat up too, have also told my baby sister.

Here's one I did earlier, a favourite terrier who died a few years ago:

(same size)

• That's really impressive 👍

Thankyou, it takes my mind off things when I can do it. I'll post more later.

• LilymaryLilymary Posts: 266 ✭✭✭

What a lovely idea, and such lovely results too. Well done, I rediscovered the joy of plasticine recently, with a view to getting used to working in 3D, (don’t know why, I failed my art O level), and maybe having a go at a bit of light whittling, unfortunately the wood shavings are unbearably messy, so this might be a cleaner and more permanent outcome than plasticine,

Just make sure you don't tread it into the carpet! There is a harder version called Plastilene or Chavant. I used to use it all the time before I discovered wax.

To get rid of the wood shavings had you tried one of the little hand held vacuum cleaners? I tried carving in soapstone but the amount of dust put me off.

• LilymaryLilymary Posts: 266 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the tips!