Osteoarthritis in both feet

Options

Hi I'm a newbie.

I have had Osteoarthritis in both feet since 2008 but only just in the last few months had it confirmed. The pain has been manageable with the help of meds, but lately it has not been very effective. I have been to the Pain Management Clinic and am currently trying new medication. 2 weeks ago my feet started hurting more than I can ever remember, the pain is excruciating, it mainly kicks off at night stopping my sleeping. Over the first 5 days when this first kicked off I had 1 and a half hours sleep (total) I have had x rays on both feet, acupuncture,homeopathy and osteopath. None have done a thing.I am at my wits end, over the last 2 weeks I have hardly slept and I mean about 10-12 hours sleep in total.I am very emotional,tired and in excruciating pain mainly at night but at times during the day

I was first on Buprenorpine patches which were great until I came out in a rash. So then put on Buprenorpine tabs which were OK but my body became used to them. I'm on Amitripyline 10mg 3 times a day, Capsaicin cream 0.025%, they don't seem to have much impact on the pain. Pain Management Clinic put me on Gabapentine 100mg 1 at night they also have had no effect. But I spoke to my Dr today and told to increase to 2 at night,if after 3-5 days no effect then increase to 3 at night. I do have to fall back that I am still in contact with the Pain Management Clinic who are regularly contacting me to check on the effectiveness of the Gabapentine. Dr did say to take 2 paracetamol 4 times a day as that increases the effectiveness of the cream and the Gabapentine.

I'm really hoping that this meds regime kicks in soon because I am in dire need of a good night's sleep. So far in the last 2 weeks my total sleep just reaches double figures in total and I am exhausted.

That's my story in a nut shell.

Comments

• jaminhealth
    Options

I am 82 and a body full of OA, and the feet hit me last, right foot worst since it's side of body with horrid hip replacement.

What works best topically is Topricin for Pain (there is a foot version).

Ultra Tiger Balm

Vicks Vapor Rub

DMSO and Arnica now and then...

I alternate and have been for a long time..Topricin works best I've found...it's homeopathic and does a great job.

I wear ankle support on Right foot and always wear socks....

For pain meds, I take 1 ibuprofen and 1 extra Strength Tylenol every 6 hours and make sure there is FOOD in my stomach.

I can't go to the pharma hard core drugs....

• jaminhealth
    Options

I sleep 8-10 hours nightly and worked on getting the sleep remedy that works for me. SLEEP IS HEALING.....we need to sleep.

• Soccercrazy
    Soccercrazy Member Posts: 8
    edited 1. Sep 2020, 22:33
    Options

I wish I could sleep even 3 - 4 hours would be bliss. The pain in my feet is bthere during the day, but it's the night time that is worse. It kicks off about 7 - 8pm and it's excruciating. I spend all night pacing from front to back of my house as my feet will not let me rest. I do try to lay down but the pain is too great for that. Then I start pacing again and that is how my nights go.

I am frustrated because I can't sleep, I am tired beyond belief and extremely emotional. I can cry at the drop of a hat for the silliest of reasons. If I don't get some sleep soon I will despair. I can't take sleeping pills as my Dr prescribed some once and I had an extreme reaction to them, so I won't touch them again.

I have tried Ibuprofen but they are no good. I guess for now I have to suck it up and hope the new meds kick in soon. Just upped the Gabapentine to 2 at night.

• Soccercrazy
    Soccercrazy Member Posts: 8
    edited 28. Sep 2020, 21:16
    Options

I am now on 300mg of Gabapentine 3 times a day and I'm sorry to say that I am still getting agonising pain in both feet (left foot outer edge + toes, right foot is all my toes) I am on 3 Amitriptyline at night. I was also prescribed Capsaicin cream 4 times a day but I found that it made my feet hurt even more if that's possible.

I have tried all sorts of shoes and insoles and the only ones I have found that are comfortable are Nike Air max, but because of all the pacing I do (mainly at night when the pain really kicks in) the soles of my feet hurt, my calfs hurt, the back of my thighs hurt, my hips hurt and my back hurts. This of course is limiting my pacing at night, but unfortunately that is the best way for me to get relief, I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

I am still not sleeping, I'm in the sixth week of no sleep at night and maybe if I'm lucky I get maybe an hours sleep in total during the day. As I said in an earlier post I cannot take sleeping tablets as I am allergic to them and had a very severe reaction to taking just one tablet. I find it difficult to walk far because of the pain in not only my feet but in the soles of my feet and legs. The shoes I am wearing are comfortable enough usually but not with my aches and pains I have now.

I am due to speak (as that is all you can do now due to Covid 19) with both my GP and pain management clinic but not until November. I think I am going to speak to a podiatrist about my problems in the mean time.

Sorry guys for waffling on but I'm at my wits end to try and get sleep, be able to walk somewhere without being in pain and to get my life back.

Any comments would be appreciated but this is me just being able to vent my feelings somewhere and not chewing my wifes ear off all the time.

• Soccercrazy
    Options

Update to earlier post.

I am now on 300my Gabapentine 3 times a day, 3 x 10mg of Amitriptyline at night and I did have Capsaicin Cream 4 times a day but found that it made my feet hurt even more.

I am still not getting any sleep at night because as always the pain in my feet always kicks off at some point during the night and making it impossible for me to sleep, I do manage to get maybe a total of 1 - 2 hours sleep during the day, but sometimes I go 3 days without sleep. I am now in my 6th week since this real excruciating pain hit both my feet. As I said in an earlier post I spend all night pacing to and fro and this has left the soles of my feet sore, my calfs aching, the back of my thighs aching, pain in both hips and pain in my back. When I do try to go out it makes nearly impossible for me to walk far and when I do I end up in even more agony. I have tried all sorts of shoes and insoles and the only ones I have found anywhere near comfortable are Nike Air Max with gel insoles. They are or were really comfortable until the pain in my feet got worse about 6 weeks ago. I am not due to speak to my GP and Pain Management Clinic until November so I'm going to speak to a podiatrist and see what they suggest. I'm really clutching at straws here as I am at my wits end with the pain and lack of sleep.

My worst fear is the either my GP or Pain Management Clinic will say, OK let's try you with different meds, so then I have to wean myself off my existing meds and start a new regime of meds and having to build up the dosage again. In the mean time I am in even more pain if that's at all possible.

Any comments would be appreciated but I'm sorry guys for waffling on but this is just me venting my frustration at not being able to get this excruciating pain under control and giving my wife a break from me chewing her ear off when I have not slept the night before and still being in awful pain.