Cooking Tips

Brynmor
Brynmor Member Posts: 1,795
edited 3. Nov 2020, 14:42 in Val's Cafe

We posted an instagram today looking for tips for cooking - Iots of the suggestions so far are for warming soups. I wondered what we could come up with so join in if you can

What are your tips for cooking food?

We know that the winter season may be a little more tricky for people with arthritis this year, and that looking after your emotional wellbeing is important. For some, comfort food can bring a small bit of positivity into the day.

• What are your favourite comfort foods to cook?
  • What are your best tips for working in the kitchen?

We'd love to see your tips and pictures. ๐Ÿ‘‡๏ธ

(You can view the video about cooking tips over on our Instagram post - no Instagram account needed)

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,111

https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/32186/cooking-tips-and-recipes/p1

I was having a look around for some recipes that originated with us rather than some taken from any other site and found these. They date back to 2012 but recipes don't date - and some look delicious

I'm going to try the chicken and bacon paella recips from @lindalegs

Yvonne x

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 649

Your recipe suggestion looks tasty @Yvonne68 and can be cooked in one pot - always a bonus! Iโ€™ll give it a try one evening this week.

My go-to comfort food is beans on toast with grated cheese on top and a big mug of tea - it always fills me up and makes me feel like Iโ€™ve eaten something a bit decadent!

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,111

I'll share a soup recipe I love at this time of year

Butternut squash soup.

Now they are tricky for wrists and fingers right! So I buy frozen butternut squash to make life easier

chop one large onion, saute if desired (I confess I often leave that bit out)

1 1/2 lb butternut squash

1 lb potatoes

1 pt veg stock (I use a cube, unless I have veggie water from cooking our Sunday roast dinner)

Put all the above into a pan, boil for about 5 mins. Turn the heat down to simmer and add a pinch of nutmeg, 1tsp tarragon, leave for about 20 mins until the veg is well cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Pour into a liquidiser and whizz or use a stick blender (my choice) until it's smooth. Reheat. Serve.

Can be frozen, tastes lovely, crusty bread is my choice to go with.

Yx

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,371

@YvonneH

Wow Yvonne, this is a blast from the past! It's still as easy and tasty to do nowadays ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,795

Apart from recipes...

• What are your best tips for working in the kitchen?

Be good to add our latest tips and must-have gadgets that help us ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• lindalegs

@Brynmor Good idea!

I use a mezzaluna knife which needs 2 hands and takes pressure off joints.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 28,067

Sitting down is my best tip and batch cooking when I am feeling at my best. Then it can go in the freezer and be treated the same as Mike's microwavable meals ๐Ÿ™‚

legs i actually remember that recipe!

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,575

My best tip is get the old man to do the cooking. ๐Ÿคค

• frogmorton

Very good Kath!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

• lindalegs

This is really easy and suitable for vegetarians though if you'd like some meat in it you could lightly fry some lardons or chopped bacon to stir in.

Gnocchi & tomato bake

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
    • 1 garlic clove, crushed
    • 400g can chopped tomatoes
    • 500g pack gnocchi
    • handful basil leaves, torn
    • half a 125g ball mozzarella, torn into chunks

Method

1. Heat grill to high. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then soften the onion and pepper for 5 mins. Stir in the garlic, fry for 1 min, tip in the tomatoes and gnocchi, then bring to a simmer. Bubble for 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally, until the gnocchi is soft and the sauce has thickened. Season, stir through the basil, then transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
    2. Scatter with the mozzarella, then grill for 5-6 mins until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
    3. Serve with garlic bread and/or a green salad.

• frogmorton

Thanks Legs.

I can make it Vegan replacing the mozzarella with breadcrumbs too๐Ÿ˜˜

• lindalegs

@frogmorton

Or tofu Toni. ๐Ÿ˜Š xx

Who's Online

shuttle5788
shuttle5788
toady