Cooking Tips

Options
2»

Comments

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

I’m 5” 2” so not much better lol. I have all my wooden spoons to hand for moving things nearer. There really should be more gadgets on the market for us with Arthritis.

• Woofy
    Options

Funny how having this condition makes you improvise lol.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options

5'2" here and I'm sure Mrs Wicket is a wee'un too!

At my last house I had a special shelf which pulled down from the top cupboard. Here I have a husband to help at times and like you all the top shelves are reserved for things not needed too often.

Toni x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Just for the recorď, there are loads of gadgets on the market. Just try any disability store. Many have actually become mainstream eg my electric can opener ànd electric jar opener. Kitchen tools with thick handles help. My goto ones are named after stock cubes. (Think about it.)

I buy lightweight kettles with a side handle as top handles are just pain-making machines. There are also kettle tippers, if you want. All sorts of stuff.

But, @Woofy , you have reminded me of an early appointment with my first rheumatologist at a big teaching hospital. He, and several students, sat behind his desk. He was telling them how often it's the very basic tasks that defeat people with arthritis. He put a coin on his desk and asked me to pick it ip. I just didn't think. I did what, to me, was the obvious thing. I useď my right forefinger to push it to the edgè of the desk then drop it into my cupped left hand. He roared with laughter. "And that's thè other thing you need to know. People with arthritis are very resourceful."

@frogmorton , yes, I'm a titch. And shrinking😆 And these days, it's not just thè high shelves but the low ones too. However, i did have my deep, thin kitchen cupboards converted so that, instead of shelves I have easily pulled out drawers. So now I can reach everything in them.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 525
    Options

@stickywicket

Ref kettles, we have a double sink so I stand my kettle on the middle bit between the two sinks then hold with my good hand and cuddle hold it with my arm of the bad hand.

Your comment on the coin made me giggle, I would lick my finger and press it down on the coin so it sticks to my finger

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Woofy
    Options

I shall be looking at those stock cube brands asap. Ta muchly S W

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options

I have every gadget going to help me in the kitchen including Mr Legs! I do have a breadmaker and he loves bread but has to watch his waistline. To help with this I make dough in my breadmaker and shape into rolls so then we get a measured amount. When I do make a loaf he tends to cut doorstops for himself and has a chunk as he's preparing sandwiches. 😲

I cannot peel or chop onions so I ask anyone who's available to do this for me as no gadget helps and frozen onion isn't the same. I would love something to tackle this problem.

Love, Legs x

Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 525
    Options

Hi @lindalegs

One of those silly thing that pops up in your social media feed from Amazon (other sites are available) was called a brieftons quick push food chopper that looks asy to use. When my hands are bad I push down with forearm instead and I think you could do that with this

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options

Thank you @Trish9556 I'll have a look.

Love, Legs xx

Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'