Pain in Ankles

Options

Over the last couple of years I have developed new pains in both my ankles. The pain / Dull Ache is on the outside of each ankle where the Tibia & Talus meet. I went to see a consultant about this over a year ago and he was not convinced it was Arthritis, he didn't really say anything apart from that. The main places I get the arthritis are in my feet / right Knee so I am leaning towards it may well be. As the consultant was not convinced is there anything else I can do? The pain is slowly getting worse and I am getting very concerned that it could be something major? I take the normal medication methotrexate 20mg & leflunomide 20mg but to be honest I have never really thought they did much.

The Doctor's tend to point me to the Hospital, so in a bit of a loop.

Thanks

Meeee

Tis Meeee
Tagged:

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

You need xrays really to see if it is OA.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Meeee,

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum, I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing pains in your ankles.

Most foot or ankle pain can be short term and could be due to a sprain or a strain, however some pains may not improve and that is when we advise people to seek help from their healthcare professional, which you have previously done. Most of the time ankle problems can be diagnosed without a scan, but if the condition is arthritis, we suggest you contact you doctor and request an x-ray.

By getting a confirmed diagnosis, you will be able to manage the condition with medication and treatments that are available.

I have added a links below that hopefully will help in the future, so as Mike1has said an x-ray will be able to confirm if the condition is Osteoarthritis (OA).

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• Meeee
    Meeee Member Posts: 19
    Options

Thank you very much for the advise, I will contact the Doctor's and see what they say.

Tis Meeee