Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Inflammatory polyarthritis diagnosis

Hello,

I have been told I have inflammatory polyarthritis following various scans, x-rays and blood tests. Is this a diagnosis or is this a kind of holding ground until they decide what kind of inflammatory arthritis I have?

Answers

• Hello @SashaJS

Thank you for your question and welcome to the online community. I hope you will find it very interesting here and please feel free to join in. We are a very friendly group and are always looking to meet new people and make new friends.

I understand that you have been recently diagnosed with polyarthritis after having various tests and scans and are wondering if this is an actual diagnosis.

I can confirm that Polyarthritis is an actual arthritic condition and from the sounds of it, it is your actual diagnosis. I am unable to say whether this will change in the future, as it is so individual.

I have included a link to the information Versus Arthritis has on Polyarthritis which I hope will help you to understand your condition more. I would recommend speaking with your doctor more if you don't feel like you understand what has been said or if you just need more clarity. It can be a very frightening time when being diagnosed with something new, so it is very important that your doctors know how you feel so that they can better support you.

I am also posting a link to our helpline details in case you feel like you would benefit from talking to someone one to one.

I hope this information helps you in some way.

Please keep in touch and keep us posted with your journey. We are only a click away if you need some friends.

Take care

Anne (mod)

• Thank you for your response. I am 46 so I don't think I can have JIA?

• Shell_HShell_H Posts: 232 mod

Hi @SashaJS

”inflammatory polyarthritis” doesn’t seem particularly helpful as a diagnosis. As Anne has said, Polyarthritis is normally meaning a form of JIA, but it wouldn’t need to be stated as inflammatory. There are a couple of types of arthritis, inflammatory and not are the main two. There are quite a few types of inflammatory arthritis, so maybe your doctor means you have more than one kind of inflammatory arthritis? Or they know it is inflammatory but not which kind?

have a look at this page which tells you about the different types of inflammatory arthritis, and I’d go back to your doctor and ask for a clearer definition of your diagnosis. They are the best person to be able to tell you what they meant by it.

Do let us know what they say!

Shell