Inflammatory polyarthritis diagnosis

Options
SashaJS
SashaJS Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello,

I have been told I have inflammatory polyarthritis following various scans, x-rays and blood tests. Is this a diagnosis or is this a kind of holding ground until they decide what kind of inflammatory arthritis I have?

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @SashaJS

Thank you for your question and welcome to the online community. I hope you will find it very interesting here and please feel free to join in. We are a very friendly group and are always looking to meet new people and make new friends.

I understand that you have been recently diagnosed with polyarthritis after having various tests and scans and are wondering if this is an actual diagnosis.

I can confirm that Polyarthritis is an actual arthritic condition and from the sounds of it, it is your actual diagnosis. I am unable to say whether this will change in the future, as it is so individual.

I have included a link to the information Versus Arthritis has on Polyarthritis which I hope will help you to understand your condition more. I would recommend speaking with your doctor more if you don't feel like you understand what has been said or if you just need more clarity. It can be a very frightening time when being diagnosed with something new, so it is very important that your doctors know how you feel so that they can better support you.

I am also posting a link to our helpline details in case you feel like you would benefit from talking to someone one to one.

I hope this information helps you in some way.

Please keep in touch and keep us posted with your journey. We are only a click away if you need some friends.

Take care

Anne (mod)

• SashaJS
    SashaJS Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thank you for your response. I am 46 so I don't think I can have JIA?

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @SashaJS

”inflammatory polyarthritis” doesn’t seem particularly helpful as a diagnosis. As Anne has said, Polyarthritis is normally meaning a form of JIA, but it wouldn’t need to be stated as inflammatory. There are a couple of types of arthritis, inflammatory and not are the main two. There are quite a few types of inflammatory arthritis, so maybe your doctor means you have more than one kind of inflammatory arthritis? Or they know it is inflammatory but not which kind?

have a look at this page which tells you about the different types of inflammatory arthritis, and I’d go back to your doctor and ask for a clearer definition of your diagnosis. They are the best person to be able to tell you what they meant by it.

Do let us know what they say!

Shell