Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Hi I'm new here

Hi I was recently told that I have arthitis in my spine. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to help with the aching and discomfort. Thanks in advance x

Comments

• jeddison1985jeddison1985 Moderator Posts: 35

Hi @jabroom13 it is my pleasure to welcome you to the forum.

I can see from your post that you have been told you have spinal arthritis, do you know if this is osteoarthritis or inflammatory?

I myself have Ankylosing Spondylitis which is an inflammatory spinal arthritis and have been managing the condition for about 10 years now. I am glad I can say that through exercise, medication and a healthier active lifestyle I have successfully been able to have long periods of being pain free. I hope that you are able to find a plan and balance that works for you.

To get you started below is a link that you may find useful:

• A general information leaflet about spinal osteoarthritis with a lot of background information and useful tips:

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the spine | Back pain | Versus Arthritis

Can I check if you have had a diagnosis and if so what was it? This will help us to signpost you to the most appropriate help.

Please feel free to post again / reply to this thread or have a look around for more information or others with similar experiences.

Take care and good luck.

Joe

• JonaJona Member Posts: 123

Hi jabroom13,

Welcome I have arthritis in my spine and I use mostly a hot water bottle and tens machine I’m afraid painkillers don’t help with me just try to keep active and gentle exercise you can ask the dr for a referral to pain clinic but establish like Joe said what kind of arthritis it is first,

I know it’s horrible but I’m sure the lovely people here will offer better advice just know your not alone with it

take care

Jona 😊

• frogmortonfrogmorton Member Posts: 26,345

Hi@jabroom13 nice to meet you.

I use my warm wheatbag (that you heat in the microwave) for my back it moulds well into where it's needed. Actually i have 7 of them as my youngest uses them too!

Like Jona I have used a tens in the past in fact worn out 2!

Finally walk every day I possibly can even if it's only a short distance and not as fast as I used to.

Hope our tips are helping.

Love

Toni xxx